Out of Town Thread VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
There's no doubt Bruin fans hate the Habs and they will forever but they seem to be the only ones right now holding on to any rivalry between the 2 teams. There really doesn't seem like there's much of a rivalry between the Habs and Bruins on the ice right now.

Also even though there are Hab fans that will forever hate the Bruins it seems it's far less than the hate Bruin fans have towards the Habs. One would just have to read GDT's here and on the Bruins board when these teams play and the hate really comes out in the Bruins GDT and it's quite comical to read but it just seems far less in the Habs GDT right now from Hab fans towards the B's.

The rivalry just needs a couple of upcoming playoff matchups and it will really ramp things up again. The Leafs/Bruins rivalry is far better than what the Habs/Bruins rivalry is right now which is to be expected since they've played 2 recent playoff series and looks like another coming in April.
Yeah, the lopsided anger from Boston's fan base is a bit weird. Maybe it's the embedded heartbreak of four decades of spankings the Habs administered to them; maybe it's the 2014 loss to the Habs in the two teams' most recent series. Meanwhile, we Habs fans have other fish to fry. And the Habs themselves have almost nobody left who experienced the rivalry. Aside from Gallagher, all traces of Bruin-hate on the Habs have moved on. Habs are a new roster sailing in uncharted territory with unknown rivalries yet to be discovered.

But yes, I'm sure you're right that the hate is one playoff series away from re-igniting.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Isles have 3-0 lead on TB after 1st. Any team that can come back from that it's TB, but that's a great start by NYI.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Islanders really impress me lately. They have been brutal in their own end for years but what a difference a coach has made this season with a lot of the same players minus JT.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
That whole defence is atrocious.

Just need the Leafs to get eliminated early and then get themselves into cap hell with the Matthews and Marner extensions. Then they won’t be able to improve without gutting the team elsewhere.
Wonder how Nylander's value has been effected by his play and that contract he was given? They'll have to move some players or risk losing them for nothing. Why would Matthews or Marner do them any favours after the Nylander contract?

I like Dermott on their blueline but he is still young and learning. Hainsey can still play but he's getting up there in age. Reilly is one of the better offensive dmen but in my opinion average at best defender. The two Russians are still adjusting to the NHL. Zaitsev may be regressing from his rookie year.

Their team defence has improved imo but the real test will be the playoffs. If they get exposed again like last spring, Babcock should expect some criticism.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
didnt they all want him out years ago ..lol

There was a segment of the fanbase that had their pitchforks out, especially after their playoff failures, but I think the fanbase almost universally loves him by now. He's a hard guy to dislike for long.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I'm not too sold on the Bruins. They are still just a one line team. That never goes well in the playoffs imo.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Florida looks awful tonight in vancouver. Chalk this up as another loss.

They have 13 of their next 16 at home though. Those are the conditions you want to to go on a big run, and they need it to stay alive in the playoff race.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Like last year, I never considered the bruins as a primary cup contender. I put them a notch below in the "tough out" category.
Honestly, besides the Bolts, I am not too confident in anyone in the division. Leafs need defense. You aren't going far with Reilly and Gardiner as your only top 4 dmen. Bruins just have the one line. Their defense should be fine if healthy. Sabres don't have the depth imo.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Have you guys seen Jim Montgomery's comments on his team?

Says the Stars have a culture of mediocrity and called out the team in general for floating.

Says he hasn't been able to get anything out of them.

Of course, given the team president's comments, he probably felt empowered to say it. But MAN the Stars have some serious issues. The staff is just motherf***ing the team over and over. I don't see any of this being a motivating factor for the players.

And on top of it, at this point, they are third in their division... not lights out good, but still in the playoffs. You'd expect these comments for a team that would be well out of range of them.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Honestly, besides the Bolts, I am not too confident in anyone in the division. Leafs need defense. You aren't going far with Reilly and Gardiner as your only top 4 dmen. Bruins just have the one line. Their defense should be fine if healthy. Sabres don't have the depth imo.

Tampa, Washington, Pittsburgh, Winnipeg, and Nashville are all teams I'd put ahead.

But as we saw last year, some team can sneak through the backdoor. Vegas took advantage of a jets team that poured their heart into beating the preds. I think both the jets and preds were spent after that one.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Check out the Bruins board's GDT when they play the Habs. The rivalry lives on in a half century legacy of hurt feelings. Bruins fans are like the ex-girlfriend who talks trash about you years after you broke up with her.
was just on the board. They are saying the Leafs are a bigger rivalry than the habs now.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Tampa, Washington, Pittsburgh, Winnipeg, and Nashville are all teams I'd put ahead.

But as we saw last year, some team can sneak through the backdoor. Vegas took advantage of a jets team that poured their heart into beating the preds. I think both the jets and preds were spent after that one.
Jets turned into a one line team against Vegas. Fluery was Hasek like, while Hellebuck stunk.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
There's no doubt Bruin fans hate the Habs and they will forever but they seem to be the only ones right now holding on to any rivalry between the 2 teams. There really doesn't seem like there's much of a rivalry between the Habs and Bruins on the ice right now.

Also even though there are Hab fans that will forever hate the Bruins it seems it's far less than the hate Bruin fans have towards the Habs. One would just have to read GDT's here and on the Bruins board when these teams play and the hate really comes out in the Bruins GDT and it's quite comical to read but it just seems far less in the Habs GDT right now from Hab fans towards the B's.

The rivalry just needs a couple of upcoming playoff matchups and it will really ramp things up again. The Leafs/Bruins rivalry is far better than what the Habs/Bruins rivalry is right now which is to be expected since they've played 2 recent playoff series and looks like another coming in April.
Bruin fans always hated the Habs. But they are now laughing at the Habs. Both my brothers are Bruin fans. They love the fact we are keeping Bergevin, and refer to him as a valuable "Bruin asset"

The habs are becoming the old leafs. If you are not a threat, you are not a rival.

Last edited:
Reactions: sheed36

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Jets turned into a one line team against Vegas. Fluery was Hasek like, while Hellebuck stunk.

Hellebucyk played too many games last year. As that series wore on, the entire team looked like a shadow of who they were.

This year, Hellebucyk remains a questions mark. He hasn't been as good, but he is capable of being competent, which is all the Jets need from him. He's on pace for less starts, but I still think he's playing too much so far. Maybe they manage his starts a little better later into the season this time.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Have you guys seen Jim Montgomery's comments on his team?

Says the Stars have a culture of mediocrity and called out the team in general for floating.

Says he hasn't been able to get anything out of them.

Of course, given the team president's comments, he probably felt empowered to say it. But MAN the Stars have some serious issues. The staff is just mother****ing the team over and over. I don't see any of this being a motivating factor for the players.

And on top of it, at this point, they are third in their division... not lights out good, but still in the playoffs. You'd expect these comments for a team that would be well out of range of them.
Well I guess they dont want to just keep lowering the bar. Owner spoke up when he could have just improved the hot dogs.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Hellebucyk played too many games last year. As that series wore on, the entire team looked like a shadow of who they were.

This year, Hellebucyk remains a questions mark. He hasn't been as good, but he is capable of being competent, which is all the Jets need from him. He's on pace for less starts, but I still think he's playing too much so far. Maybe they manage his starts a little better later into the season this time.
Not the entire team. Shieflie was the best player in the series. Next to Fluery. Wheeler too.

The next 3 lines on the jets disappeared. Hellebuck was giving up 1 to 2 softies a game.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Add to that his back up has been fantastic. 10 or 11 starts and yet to lose a game in regulation.

You are right in that Hellebucyk remains a question mark. Bang on way to sum him up.
First two months of season I watched him lose games for the Jets. Much better December on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad