Out of Town Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
I still think we should adopt the light year as a measure of how long it will take for this team to return to prominence.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Talking about the nature of light is 5,878,625,373,200 miles better than moaning about a hockey team.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
The speed of “light” is a constant. Not miles per hour.

I have university level physics and astronomy, so I'm aware. :laugh: For reasons of simplicity the speed light can be expressed in terms of miles/second, and regularly is. That speed is approx. 186,000 miles/second. And it's a constant.

I was using an analogy to discredit another poster's claims.

The speed of light is constant - in a vacuum, and yet its trajectory can be bent by gravity. This is "gravitational lensing" and the light merely follows warps in space / time caused by said gravity.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
The constant is used as a measuring stick for interstellar distances.

And miles per hour is an arbitrary constant, but a constant all the same. An hour is an hour, because 60 minutes is 60 minutes, and one kilometer per hour is one kilometer per one hour. They are constants too. The only difference is that light years is a natural constant that we use tge same way we use arbitrary constants.

If one would be able to accelerate at 4 times the speed of light, then would go at 4 light years per second. All it says is that you're goimg 4x km/h, instead of x km/h, where X represents the number of kilometers a light year represents.

It's purely a measuring stick for distance.
WTF is an “arbitrary constant”?

Reactions: PaulD

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I have university level physics and astronomy, so I'm aware. :laugh: For reasons of simplicity the speed light can be expressed in terms of miles/second, and regularly is. That speed is approx. 186,000 miles/second. And it's a constant.

The speed of light is constant - in a vacuum, and yet its trajectory can be bent by gravity. This is "gravitational lensing" and the light merely follows warps in space / time caused by said gravity.
Yep! And without the constant of “light speed”? You sure as hell would not be talking about the effects of gravity on the constant.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Who knew the best way to shut up the Toronto media on "Wee Willy Nylander" was to..... put him in the line up. :laugh:

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Yep! And without the constant of “light speed”? You sure as hell would not be talking about the effects of gravity on the constant.

It doesn't affect the constant because photons are massless. This was one of the arguments for light having mass. It only works under Newtonian physics, but not with the GTR.

Reactions: Rapala

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Never dull around here

Groovejuice posts.....people learn shit

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Sometimes it plays out well if the team gets healthy at the right time.
ie .... Bruins will benefit late season for early season injuries.

Rested guys.

Their top players only will play 40- 60 regular season games. Be prime comdition for play offs.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
It doesn't affect the constant because photons are massless. This was one of the arguments for light having mass. It only works under Newtonian physics, but not with the GTR.
Yes! The massless photon is the constant. What’s GTR?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I had hopes...but starting to realize they're essentially EXACTLY the same.

Lots of skating, not much getting done out there though.

They are both young though. That's pretty much what Petry was at their age. Doesn't mean they will figure it out but unlike let's say Jordie Benn they both have the tools to maybe become top 4 dmen one day when they will be over 27.

To me it doesn't matter what Beaulieu will become choosing Benn over him at the draft was a stupid move. At least we got a little something for Beaulieu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad