Out of Town Thread Part XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Winnipeg is a mess right now.

They lost Chiarot, Myers and Tanev.

They traded Trouba for a really underwhelming return.

Laine and Connor are still unsigned with Laine making bad comments.

Byfuglien is considering retirement.

I’m glad we’re not Winnipeg.

Schiefle, Wheeler, Laine, Connor, Ehlers... 5 fwds as good or better than our best... I don't feel that bad for them.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
There's surely something I don't know that it took till Mid-September for a NHl team to give another chance to Ben Hutton. Kid would have deserved a chance much earlier than that.

Every year there's at least 1 case like this...

Likely had better offers earlier but either waited too long or was too picky on where he didn't want to play.

Yet another late UFA signing that highlights how poorly MB did with contracts this offseason, overpaying on 3 of his 4 signings (arguably all 4, especially if lingren or Primeau outplay Kinkaid).

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
Schiefle, Wheeler, Laine, Connor, Ehlers... 5 fwds as good or better than our best... I don't feel that bad for them.
Domi scored more points than Laine, Connor and Ehlers last year. Tatar, Drouin, Danault and Gallagher scored more points than Laine and Ehlers. I would say they have two forwards better than our best.

Reactions: HankyZetts

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Nick Deslauriers scored yesterday...what a mistake we made....:sarcasm:

Do people know the power of a smiley? Do you not realize if I wouldn't have put that smiley, what kind of reactions I would have had? ;)

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Considering two of their top player, Byfuglien and Wheeler are over 30, they are very much in a win now mode. There's no reason to believe they would not want Weber/Petry because of their age.

But anytime you trade a young star you'll want a good prospect/pick in return. So Weber + pick/prospect makes a lot of sense, especially if we retain 1-2m on Weber.

I think they are even past the win now mode. It's crazy how 2-3 years ago this team looked so good on paper and ready to contend for a cup and now well the defense sucks and it looks like everyone want out.

Not looking good at all and their GM is kind of totally lost.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I think they are even past the win now mode. It's crazy how 2-3 years ago this team looked so good on paper and ready to contend for a cup and now well the defense sucks and it looks like everyone want out.

On paper, the Jets are still a contender. But if the chemistry in the room is as bad as it seems, on-paper means nothing. Somebody has to go. If they haven't fired Maurice by now, that means Laine will probably be traded. You'd think Montreal would be a good trading partner -- we've got a win-now RHD in Petry, plus plenty of prospects and picks. Jets fans want Domi and/or Kotkaniemi, but they'll have to settle for less given Laine's bad attitude and weak season.

What'll kill me is if another team scoops up Laine for a similar return, and Bergevin misses out.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
On paper, the Jets are still a contender. But if the chemistry in the room is as bad as it seems, on-paper means nothing. Somebody has to go. If they haven't fired Maurice by now, that means Laine will probably be traded. You'd think Montreal would be a good trading partner -- we've got a win-now RHD in Petry, plus plenty of prospects and picks. Jets fans want Domi and/or Kotkaniemi, but they'll have to settle for less given Laine's bad attitude and weak season.

What'll kill me is if another team scoops up Laine for a similar return, and Bergevin misses out.

The paper is very thin though. It implies Big buff will not retire or ask for a trade. I mean the guy clearly wants out. If he asks for a trade the Jets wont get a fair return for him. If he retires that's even worse. It also implies they can either sign Laine or get a fair return for him. In both case the Jets have the short end of the stick. It doesn't look like only money separates the Jets and Laine. There's something going on and i'm not sure the players are to blame. GM is losing control. Without Laine and Big Buff i don't see them in playoffs and it's close to midnight for their GM.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Without Laine, Connor and Buff, the Jets are probably contenders... for a playoff berth in the weakest conference. That defense is really... really not good. With all due respect to Morrissey, who is otherwise awesome. That team otherwise lost 4 of its best 5 D-Men, and that's a serious issue when the sixth D-Men was Nathan Beaulieu.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It's just sad what is happening in Winnipeg.

They really built that team through the draft, and patience, but they are losing talent even quicker.

Management probably deserves some blame for the way things have unfolded, but mostly, this shows the challenges of coming up with a solid plan for on ice success in Winnipeg.

They did everything right in terms of patience, and drafting, but they barely had the chance to keep it all together.

That's not a good sign for this franchise under the current NHL landscape.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Cheap price for the Kings…...after Gardiner's deal and this one, the 3.5M x3 years deal to Chiarot looks terrible.
There is a lot of Hutton on the market. He is another type ok Kulak. A big D like chiarot will bring something else physically than not many dman can bring

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The paper is very thin though. It implies Big buff will not retire or ask for a trade. I mean the guy clearly wants out. If he asks for a trade the Jets wont get a fair return for him. If he retires that's even worse. It also implies they can either sign Laine or get a fair return for him. In both case the Jets have the short end of the stick. It doesn't look like only money separates the Jets and Laine. There's something going on and i'm not sure the players are to blame. GM is losing control. Without Laine and Big Buff i don't see them in playoffs and it's close to midnight for their GM.
I didn't realize the situation with Byfuglien was as bad as the rumours say it is. If he's away for awhile or retires, the Jets have lost all their RHD. Wow.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

In today's NHL,things can turn on a dime,one way or the other. The Jets looked like they could go for it for a season or 2,but now looking bleak. The cap is not helping teams keep a roster intact for more than 1 or 2 years.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Domi scored more points than Laine, Connor and Ehlers last year. Tatar, Drouin, Danault and Gallagher scored more points than Laine and Ehlers. I would say they have two forwards better than our best.

Yeah, I get hometown love as well.

Good luck trying to make the case anywhere except among Habs fans that Domi & Tatar & Danault & Gally are better/more valuable than Laine.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
In today's NHL,things can turn on a dime,one way or the other. The Jets looked like they could go for it for a season or 2,but now looking bleak. The cap is not helping teams keep a roster intact for more than 1 or 2 years.

Which is bullshit when they got the money for it. Really how hard could it be to implement a franchise player discount so a team doesnt have to trade a 2nd overall kid drafted 3 years ago for peanuts. Give like two or three contracts that count for half of their real cap hit. This situation is ridiculous. I dont blame the players though, but the teams with means should have the right to ice a good team for their customers. I hear Winnipeg's owner is loaded... Let him pay what he needs to to keep his players. f***... the cap can be a dumb system sometimes. How is this benefitting small/new markets. JETS ARE ONE!

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Imagine if we could con them into taking Drouin + a pick/prospect. That would be an absolute steal.

I think they'd want Domi (I wouldn't trade Laine to begin with) but if they'd go for Drouin... what a ripoff that would be.

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
Yeah, I get hometown love as well.

Good luck trying to make the case anywhere except among Habs fans that Domi & Tatar & Danault & Gally are better/more valuable than Laine.
Domi is better than Connor. Domi is better than Laine. Domi is better than Ehlers. It’s not ridiculous to say.

Reactions: Tyson

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Imagine if we could con them into taking Drouin + a pick/prospect. That would be an absolute steal.

I think they'd want Domi (I wouldn't trade Laine to begin with) but if they'd go for Drouin... what a ripoff that would be.
Laine is really an enigma. You're betting on his recent slump being locally induced. He could be our next 50 goal scorer or a complete bust. I don't see a middle ground.

I'd still gamble on him though. He's still a rookie and needs to learn to be responsible defensively. Imagine getting feeds from KK?

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Which is bull**** when they got the money for it. Really how hard could it be to implement a franchise player discount so a team doesnt have to trade a 2nd overall kid drafted 3 years ago for peanuts. Give like two or three contracts that count for half of their real cap hit. This situation is ridiculous. I dont blame the players though, but the teams with means should have the right to ice a good team for their customers. I hear Winnipeg's owner is loaded... Let him pay what he needs to to keep his players. ****... the cap can be a dumb system sometimes. How is this benefitting small/new markets. JETS ARE ONE!

Easy does it sport. It's not just the Jets that are afflicted by the cap. Not sure why you're getting so bent out of shape though.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Domi is better than Connor. Domi is better than Laine. Domi is better than Ehlers. It’s not ridiculous to say.

Connor is significantly ahead of where Domi was at 2yrs in.

Domi better than Laine? Good luck with that take away, from homers...

Domi better than Ehlers? Sure, though statistically (which is the case you tried to make) they are almost identical through their respective ~300games in the pros (.67 vs .68)... Hence "as good as or better".

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You would trade the only 70P+ centre the Habs have had since Saku?
For Laine? Yessir.

Esp since we have KK, Suzuki and Poehling coming up.

Imagine in a few years a line of KK, Caufield and Laine... or you have Caufield on one line with KK and Suzuki and Laine on another... sick.

Reactions: ArtPeur

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
For Laine? Yessir.

Esp since we have KK, Suzuki and Poehling coming up.

Imagine in a few years a line of KK, Caufield and Laine... or you have Caufield on one line with KK and Suzuki and Laine on another... sick.

Tough call though imo.
Fully agree Laine is "worth it" value-wise... But Domi has shown the ability to thrive in the Mtl spotlight, which adds to his value to us.

A few doubts/concerns I'd have:
- how would Laine handle the pressure & scrutiny here?

- losing our best forward means either JKO has to step up right away, or Laine is playing with the Bryan Little caliber of linemates he's already complaining about

- it's yet another "swap" of talent (arguably upgrade, but depending on Laine's adjustment) rather than the level of upgrade we need

Would rather push Drouin, & include Danault or Poehling if a C is necessary, than move Domi...

But, if that was the "take it or leave it" , then yeah, gotta roll that dice on a talent of Laine's caliber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad