Out of Town Thread Part XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I would hate to give up Domi but you have to give to get. For a talent like Laine you do it.

And the thing is we have four centers who can pick up the slack now. Poehling, KK, Suzuki, Dannault... And Laine is going to make them better.

Like I said, try to sell them on Drouin. If you could pull that off it would be absolutely awesome. But if you have to give up Domi then you do it.

Won't happen though... Jets would be crazy to give up on Laine now.

Reactions: Andrei79

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Easy does it sport. It's not just the Jets that are afflicted by the cap. Not sure why you're getting so bent out of shape though.

I really dont like the cap. As a fan of this team, I couldnt care less about poor teams. The cap doesnt improve my fellow Habs fans' (and mine) experience. Would it change my life if irrelevant markets like Coyotes or Senators didnt exist? Not really. In fact, I would be estatic if there was a super-league with the richest teams that wouldnt have any financial restriction. We could've thrown 20M at Tavares for shits and giggles.

Barcelona wanted Griezmann, they bought him. There. You got means, you get players. The money us fans dump in the team goes to pay other teams players. "Sorry we don't have enough fans, please help us!". Ugh.

I know it's a very unpopular opinion but when I watch the top teams in soccer, I wonder how it would be if hockey had the same system. Imagine the Habs, not just the most Stanley cups in history, but the reigning World champions. Damn. Big clubs' fans in Europe live the dream.

Reactions: angusyoung

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Laine is really an enigma. You're betting on his recent slump being locally induced. He could be our next 50 goal scorer or a complete bust. I don't see a middle ground.

I'd still gamble on him though. He's still a rookie and needs to learn to be responsible defensively. Imagine getting feeds from KK?
There's no way he'd be a complete bust. He's already got one season where he's scored more goals than any Hab player has scored in almost 30 years. At the absolute worst he'd be a 30+ goal scorer every year.

He will likely win a few Richards before he's done.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I really dont like the cap. As a fan of this team, I couldnt care less about poor teams. The cap doesnt improve my fellow Habs fans' (and mine) experience. Would it change my life if irrelevant markets like Coyotes or Senators didnt exist? Not really. In fact, I would be estatic if there was a super-league with the richest teams that wouldnt have any financial restriction. We could've thrown 20M at Tavares for ****s and giggles.

Barcelona wanted Griezmann, they bought him. There. You got means, you get players. The money us fans dump in the team goes to pay other teams players. "Sorry we don't have enough fans, please help us!". Ugh.

I know it's a very unpopular opinion but when I watch the top teams in soccer, I wonder how it would be if hockey had the same system. Imagine the Habs, not just the most Stanley cups in history, but the reigning World champions. Damn. Big clubs' fans in Europe live the dream.

Ummm guess you didn't follow the Habs in the late 90's when we were a poor team & Houle was tasked with offloading $$?

Not a fun time.

I'm not staunchly for or against a cap, but don't assume Molson & co. open the wallets with no cap... As it is, using up available cap space is too complicated for the team.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Ummm guess you didn't follow the Habs in the late 90's when we were a poor team & Houle was tasked with offloading $$?

Not a fun time.

I'm not staunchly for or against a cap, but don't assume Molson & co. open the wallets with no cap... As it is, using up available cap space is too complicated for the team.

True.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
There's no way he'd be a complete bust. He's already got one season where he's scored more goals than any Hab player has scored in almost 30 years. At the absolute worst he'd be a 30+ goal scorer every year.

He will likely win a few Richards before he's done.
I agree. Behind ovechkin. I think laine has rhe best shot in the NHL. Maybe is not the biggest worker but he scores

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
On the one hand, this looks like a buy-low opportunity with Laine, who still has maturing to do. But on the other, the $$ he is asking for would probably skew the team structure and make more Leafs-like, which is not a desirable situation. Moreover, Laine strikes me as a horrible fit for our coach, is who is old-school about defensive responsibility. In the event of conflict between Julien and Laine, who goes?

I would hope that the substantial leadership on this team, including several Finns, would help press the reset button on Laine, but it may turn out to be very hard to find. Strikes me as very entitled.

I don't like the idea of giving Domi either, not one bit, nor Petry for that matter. The Jets are in a very weak position right now. If Laine holds out, they will eventually budge and accept lesser NHL talent. Which team out there has some cap space and trade chips to accommodate him? Not many.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I really dont like the cap. As a fan of this team, I couldnt care less about poor teams. The cap doesnt improve my fellow Habs fans' (and mine) experience. Would it change my life if irrelevant markets like Coyotes or Senators didnt exist? Not really. In fact, I would be estatic if there was a super-league with the richest teams that wouldnt have any financial restriction. We could've thrown 20M at Tavares for ****s and giggles.

Not a fan of the cap either,obviously,but if it's gone,might as well reduce the NHL down to 12 teams again. With no cap,Habs ,if the ownership was on board,could certainly throw tons of money out there to get whom they want.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Not a fan of the cap either,obviously,but if it's gone,might as well reduce the NHL down to 12 teams again. With no cap,Habs ,if the ownership was on board,could certainly throw tons of money out there to get whom they want.

And would you care that much if we lost half the teams? We would just see rivals more and strengthen the rivalries.

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
The cap wasn't around in the 90s, 2000s, and we weren't spending any money on free agents.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
The cap wasn't around in the 90s, 2000s, and we weren't spending any money on free agents.

Well of course, Molson Inc. decided the Habs was a toxic asset at that time and managed the team as such.

Habs had one of the lowest payroll in the NHL from ~1997 to whatever the year it was when Gillett took over.

Reactions: DAChampion

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
On the one hand, this looks like a buy-low opportunity with Laine, who still has maturing to do. But on the other, the $$ he is asking for would probably skew the team structure and make more Leafs-like, which is not a desirable situation. Moreover, Laine strikes me as a horrible fit for our coach, is who is old-school about defensive responsibility. In the event of conflict between Julien and Laine, who goes?

I would hope that the substantial leadership on this team, including several Finns, would help press the reset button on Laine, but it may turn out to be very hard to find. Strikes me as very entitled.

I don't like the idea of giving Domi either, not one bit, nor Petry for that matter. The Jets are in a very weak position right now. If Laine holds out, they will eventually budge and accept lesser NHL talent. Which team out there has some cap space and trade chips to accommodate him? Not many.

WTF? Petry'll be gone in less than 20 months. You bank his value asap, cuz even with Laine AND Petry, we'll still have too many holes to compete.

Laine is 20-21, but let's not trade Petry who'll be 33 by the time his contract ends in 20 months?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I would hate to give up Domi but you have to give to get. For a talent like Laine you do it.

And the thing is we have four centers who can pick up the slack now. Poehling, KK, Suzuki, Dannault... And Laine is going to make them better.

Like I said, try to sell them on Drouin. If you could pull that off it would be absolutely awesome. But if you have to give up Domi then you do it.

Won't happen though... Jets would be crazy to give up on Laine now.

I wouldn't give Domi. Include Drouin and Suzuki. Give a 1st obviously. Give another prospect like Ylonen. But don't give up another guy who's heart is REALLY in Montreal. We keep whining about people who don't like playing here and won't come...and then you trade Domi?

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
The package it would take to get Laine does not make sense for us to move in a hockey trade.
If we acquire Laine, it's got to be on an offer sheet IMO. With the past 3 years of drafting we are in a position now to sacrifice a 1st round pick for the next 2 years if we have too compared to a few years ago.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
The package it would take to get Laine does not make sense for us to move in a hockey trade.
If we acquire Laine, it's got to be on an offer sheet IMO. With the past 3 years of drafting we are in a position now to sacrifice a 1st round pick for the next 2 years if we have too compared to a few years ago.
You wont get him on an offer sheet that doesnt screw our whole cap situation so trade is by far the better option

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

8 x $8M for Chabot. Surprised to see Melnyk take out the pocketbook for the kid. This kid is a stud. Good of Ottawa to get this one done to get any possible off-ice distractions out of the way.

Reactions: habsfan891

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
That's a good deal for the Sens.

There is of course a little risk involved, but it's pretty small.

Should be a very good contract in a few years as Chabot gets older.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->