Out of Town Thread - Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I like this from the Oil's perspective. Talbot is a pending UFA and they needed cap relief. Flyers should have made this deal while Chia was still around, they could have gotten a pick tacked on.

Trading a UFA while shedding about $3.5M in cap space to acquire a younger goalie who is less than $800K and is an RFA at the end of the season, meaning he is under team control. Oilers pretty much did what they wanted to do. They put their eggs in the Koskinen basket.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Damn. I hated Pouliot with passion. Is Pulju that bad?

Reviews are clouded by the fact that he's been mishandled. Some are suggesting he's a third liner, has a low hockey IQ. Which is why he has to be a buy low or forget about it. I know he's only 20 but if there are red flags, let someone else pony up.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Trading a UFA while shedding about $3.5M in cap space to acquire a younger goalie who is less than $800K and is an RFA at the end of the season, meaning he is under team control. Oilers pretty much did what they wanted to do. They put their eggs in the Koskinen basket.

That's quite the set of twin towers they got going with Koskinen and Stolarz.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Reviews are clouded by the fact that he's been mishandled. Some are suggesting he's a third liner, has a low hockey IQ. Which is why he has to be a buy low or forget about it. I know he's only 20 but if there are red flags, let someone else pony up.

I agree. This is where I'm unsure on Puljujarvi's qualities, his hockey IQ.

I feel Habs are starting to bring in skill but also players with good hockey sense. But I wonder if that skill set is still worth paying to acquire because they have a lot of players who can read the game properly. So it can balance out Puljujarvi's questionable IQ.

But the argument can be made that he just needs to be put in an environment where he can thrive. The Montreal Finadiens could be a comfortable place for Puljujarvi.

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal

I'd still gamble on him but I wouldn't pay that much.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
That's quite the set of twin towers they got going with Koskinen and Stolarz.

s-l300.jpg

Reactions: McTusk

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I wonder if Kotkaniemi can be what Puljujarvi needs to get going.

That's the big quandary. EDM are doing what they need to try and squeeze out what they can out of Puulju's early first round pick pedigree but no one is biting. They'll need to bring the price down if they believe there is nothing further they can do with the player. However, if the offers are too low, they'd be better off holding on the off chance he becomes something worthy.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'd still gamble on him but I wouldn't pay that much.

As a low-cost gamble? You'd have a lot of teams lining up for him. As we've seen from reports this past week, Edmonton believes he's not worth selling low.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
That's the big quandary. EDM are doing what they need to try and squeeze out what they can out of Puulju's early first round pick pedigree but no one is biting. They'll need to bring the price down if they believe there is nothing further they can do with the player. However, if the offers are too low, they'd be better off holding on the off chance he becomes something worthy.

The biggest red flag for me in terms of Puljujarvi is that he couldn’t even produce playing with McDavid.

That’s a pretty big red flag, IMO.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Another aspect of Puljujarvi's contract this year, he is still waiver exempt. So if anything, with all the bodies in the NHL, Habs can send him to Laval for a bit to get some Bouchard fine tuning and then come with the Habs.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Another aspect of Puljujarvi's contract this year, he is still waiver exempt. So if anything, with all the bodies in the NHL, Habs can send him to Laval for a bit to get some Bouchard fine tuning and then come with the Habs.

Is fine tuning all he needs or is it more of an intervention? It's nebulous, we don't know how much say MB and his staff believe in the player. One thing is certain, the price will have to come down and am not sure Edmonton is willing to do that. Although Pulju's agent has been ramping up the pressure on them.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
What’s a fair price for Zadorov? Habs can use the physicality on the backend.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
What’s a fair price for Zadorov? Habs can use the physicality on the backend.

I mentioned him as possibly a 2LD to play next to Petry. Eric Engels has mentioned that Habs are looking to upgrade that position. I've liked Mike Reilly lately but Zadorov is younger and brings a physical element. He also hit 20 points last season, which Reilly hasn't done. Reilly has trouble establishing a spot while Zadorov has done that.

I'd be all for Zadorov to Montreal. I would think Reilly would go the other way. Habs will probably need to add a pick in the deal.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I mentioned him as possibly a 2LD to play next to Petry. Eric Engels has mentioned that Habs are looking to upgrade that position. I've liked Mike Reilly lately but Zadorov is younger and brings a physical element. He also hit 20 points last season, which Reilly hasn't done. Reilly has trouble establishing a spot while Zadorov has done that.

I'd be all for Zadorov to Montreal. I would think Reilly would go the other way. Habs will probably need to add a pick in the deal.

If they can build something around Reilly, sure go for it. But, Sakic is on the other side and he makes for a tough bargain.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

"For a bit" might turn out to be operative words. :laugh:

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I also don't think he will suddenly pick it up.

I mean Strome was never considered a speed dynamo but you could see him create chances and produce at every level. With Puljujarvi you see insane hockey tools but a clear lack of desire and hockey IQ.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
A bit surprised that Cam Talbot's value is down to negative. I thought he would brings at least a 2nd rounder . Does Edmonton making space for Bobrovsky? Hummm!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad