Out of Town Thread - Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Jeff Skinner is going to get paid a ridiculous amount of money in free agency.

I would'nt do it OC....great player tho.....but he had a ton of injury/head trauma...

Probably a ask in the range of 9 - 10.5 million a yr?..they always start out high...5 to 7 yr deal...i dunno......

Last edited:

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Philly have two good young goalies. Yeah. They are very dangerous too. They remind me the Ottawa Sens of few years ago with the Hamburglar in net.

Binnington in St. Louis is similar to Andrew Hammond. Not sure how Hart is. Carter Hart is very similar to a young Carey Price or Steve Mason.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I would'nt do it OC....great player tho.....but he had a ton of injury/head trauma...

Probably a ask in the range of 9 - 10.5 million a yr?..they always start out high...5 to 7 yr deal...i dunno......
I think that those days are behind him and he will get big bucks on July 1, no less than 8 per year. He has had similar stats as Max Pacioretty who is about to earn 7 million a season and if JS were to hit 50 goals this year the money total could be higher.

Reactions: Runner77

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I think that those days are behind him and he will get big bucks on July 1, no less than 8 per year. He has had similar stats as Max Pacioretty who is about to earn 7 million a season and if JS were to hit 50 goals this year the money total could be higher.
His concussion history will play into his next contract but 9 mil is a safe bet

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Another decent young player who Edmoton ruined. Habs should take a flyer on him

Totally agree. Surround him with young Finns, build his confidence and at worst you have an extremely skilled 3rd line RW for a long time. At best, a top line RW got our future no. 1 center, KK.

Feels like a Petry type deal. Hudon and a 2nd, maybe a B level prospect and call it a day.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

What if Skinner were the only UFA willing to sign with Montreal? Beggars can’t be choosers. When it comes to signing prime UFAs, Montreal has a poor track record.

Reactions: sandviper

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
They gave away Eberle and Hall... it's insane.
And I’m pretty sure they gave away Barzal (the pick) to Islanders in the Reinhart deal

They bombed the Yakupov and so far Puuljujarvi developments, gave big money to bad players, they can’t draft anything out of the first, their D is atrocious, they’re up against the cap and will finish bottom 5 again all while having McDavid and Draistl.

I’m sorry, but with the returns he got on Kessel and Seguin, he is hands down the worst GM in the history of sport. For the life of me I have no enfin clue how he’s a Stanley Cup champ

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Totally agree. Surround him with young Finns, build his confidence and at worst you have an extremely skilled 3rd line RW for a long time. At best, a top line RW got our future no. 1 center, KK.

Feels like a Petry type deal. Hudon and a 2nd, maybe a B level prospect and call it a day.
I think a second rounder and Hudon could get the job done

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
And I’m pretty sure they gave away Barzal (the pick) to Islanders in the Reinhart deal

They bombed the Yakupov and so far Puuljujarvi developments, gave big money to bad players, they can’t draft anything out of the first, their D is atrocious, they’re up against the cap and will finish bottom 5 again all while having McDavid and Draistl.

I’m sorry, but with the returns he got on Kessel and Seguin, he is hands down the worst GM in the history of sport. For the life of me I have no enfin clue how he’s a Stanley Cup champ
I would challenge you to research the trades Mike Milbury made during his tenure before giving Chiarelli that title

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Yeah, he's f***ing awful.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
What if Skinner were the only UFA willing to sign with Montreal? Beggars can’t be choosers. When it comes to signing prime UFAs, Montreal has a poor track record.

Cammalleri?

I wouldn't mind Skinner though, he would be our only natural scorer

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal

The B's got that 2011 Cup by Chara's season-ending neck injury on a young-and-rapidly-surging MaxPac.

The B's simply do not beat Montreal by those three 1-goal-lead games in the 1st round with (the very good) young Max in the lineup. No way.

Not trying to start "a thing" with this post, but no one will convince me otherwise.

I also recall the B's throwing an inordinate amount of face/head punches after whistles with no penalties called all through their run.

Remember this (sad but pretty funny) no-penalty Colin Campbell approved classic?

Reactions: Prairie Habs

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I think a second rounder and Hudon could get the job done

That’s what I suggested but I think they’ll ask for more. It be a hard sell for an interim GM to give away a top 5 pick.

I’m inclined to think it might just take Lehkonen and a second to get it done and I’m not sure we have the appetite for that.

Maybe a compromise somewhere in the middle but that’d be a GM to GM conversation. I know Oil need to shed money and we have a ton so that could be what we need. Though is that what’s a Bergevin wants to spend his money on/is that the best he can do with the cap we have?

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Like the hopefulness but I would be shocked if Skinner signed here. While I’m sure money will dictate most of his decision, I’ll bet Toronto and Buffalo are highest on his list.

However, with our success this season, as well as outpr relative youth both player and coaching levels, we may be able to entice some UFAs. I don’t think those closer to 30 will have much interest as we’re not cup contenders, but maybe those around the 26-28 year old mark may relish the top-6F or top-2D opportunities.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014

Skinner is having a career season. This is clearly his outlier year, playing with one of the best setup Centres in the league.

IMO its almost certain he reverts back to his career average which is 30/20. This player is a full on trap, he is a 6mm player that is going to get 8+. Avoid like the plague.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
They are going to ask for way more then a depth forward and a second for JP. Minimum first plus a good prospect. He is only 20 and was 4 overall, there is no way they give him away for nothing. Would make no sense, you are better off keeping and trying to develop him then trading for a nothing forward and a pick that most likey will fail.

I’m not suggesting he has great value but I’d give up a late first to roll the dice on him. I mean he is already better then most mid late firsts we’ve drafted the last decade.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Like the hopefulness but I would be shocked if Skinner signed here. While I’m sure money will dictate most of his decision, I’ll bet Toronto and Buffalo are highest on his list.

However, with our success this season, as well as outpr relative youth both player and coaching levels, we may be able to entice some UFAs. I don’t think those closer to 30 will have much interest as we’re not cup contenders, but maybe those around the 26-28 year old mark may relish the top-6F or top-2D opportunities.

Unfortunately, the argument about having had success in-season did not help when we finished first in the Atlantic in 2014-15 and in 2016-17. The only difference this time 'round is how there is a deeper crop of quality UFAs available, so it's a pure numbers play. You ultimately need someone who really wants to play in the city and/or who is looking for a massive payday that no other team is willing to match. We have the ability to make that payday happen.

Reactions: sandviper

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Skinner is having a career season. This is clearly his outlier year, playing with one of the best setup Centres in the league.

IMO its almost certain he reverts back to his career average which is 30/20. This player is a full on trap, he is a 6mm player that is going to get 8+. Avoid like the plague.

I wasn't suggesting that he should be the guy or that we should be specifically targeting Skinner. I am well aware that he has his warts. His name was used within the very limited context of "what if he's the only UFA who shows interest". Other teams may be reluctant to pay him what he's likely to ask for the reasons you mentioned, however, when it comes to the Habs, they can't be choosers. This has never been a destination for prime UFAs and there is nothing to suggest that things have changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad