HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2023-2024 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Always eat before the game. :)

It's like complaining about the cost of popcorn at a movie theatre... The insane markups are well known. If people didn't keep going, they wouldn't get away with it.

Just don't buy the fries if you don't want to be ripped off... Such an odd thing to complain about imo
I'm not personally affected by this because I never buy food at the arena, but I totally support calling out the awful product and the price gouging. The decision-makers have made a very conscious choice to rip off their customers. F*** them. For families with hungry kids, for some schmuck trying to impress a date, it's not that easy to duck away from the pressure of buying arena food. You've already paid top dollar for your seat, then as a thank-you the team mugs you at the concession stand. Disgusting. I understand normal profit margins, but there's no excuse for such blatant greed.

Yes, there are ways to avoid being screwed, but at the same time the people doing the screwing deserve to be shamed.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
NJD lost, but Allen had a .944 save percentage. The second consecutive game he had .930 or higher. He won one & lost one.
Not really a surprise - Analytics clearly showed Allen in front of a team that was better at limiting Dzone entries particularly back checking forwards and limiting odd man rushes would have significantly improved stats

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Normand Flynn is PISSED right now, he’s stuck with Suzuki.

IMG_9578.jpeg

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Simmonds was an honest player who had a solid career. Best of luck to him.

That is a fact! Adding Guentzel and Kuznetsov is a major coup
They also did that while retaining most of their picks. They still have their first and 2nd round picks for the next 3 years (unless they reach the scf where the 2nd round pick PHI they gave for Guentzle upgrade to a 1st round pick).

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
They also did that while retaining most of their picks. They still have their first and 2nd round picks for the next 3 years (unless they reach the scf where the 2nd round pick PHI they gave for Guentzle upgrade to a 1st round pick).
A lot of folks don't like that team but one thing is for sure...they run a competent organization

Reactions: zeeto and LaP

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
We usually go to one oil king game a year. I don't even complain about the price of food I just think its funny. 2 nachos 2 pops 2 beers 95bucks and the kids didn't even eat all of the nachos.

I took my daughter to a Habs game here just to get her the live experience... Will probably take her to a game in Montreal once just so she can see the atmosphere.

But otherwise? Thanks but no thanks. The game is beautiful, the business of it is not.
I'm not personally affected by this because I never buy food at the arena, but I totally support calling out the awful product and the price gouging. The decision-makers have made a very conscious choice to rip off their customers. F*** them. For families with hungry kids, for some schmuck trying to impress a date, it's not that easy to duck away from the pressure of buying arena food. You've already paid top dollar for your seat, then as a thank-you the team mugs you at the concession stand. Disgusting. I understand normal profit margins, but there's no excuse for such blatant greed.

Yes, there are ways to avoid being screwed, but at the same time the people doing the screwing deserve to be shamed.

Greed is the operating model, no sense hand wringing about it.

Pay up or don't go. Money talks, the rest is largely screaming into the void while they hoard their profits.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Greed is the operating model, no sense hand wringing about it.

Pay up or don't go. Money talks, the rest is largely screaming into the void while they hoard their profits.
I don't think either hand-wringing or passive acceptance is particularly healthy. I don't spend my days complaining about Montreal's poor economy, its mismanaged roads, and its money-grasping NHL team. On the other hand, I will call out greed and incompetence when the subject comes up. It deserves a little more than, "If you don't like it, don't live here/drive your car/go to games."

Last edited:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I don't think either hand-wringing or passive acceptance is particularly healthy. I don't spend my days complaining about Montreal's poor economy, its mismanaged roads, and its money-grasping NHL team. On the other hand, I will call out greed and incompetence when the subject comes up. It deserves a little more than, "If you don't like it, don't live here/drive your car/go to games."

I think there's a pretty massive difference between democratic institutions and for profit private corporations... But to each their own :dunno:

Find me a pro sport team not motivated by greed and I'll find you a unicorn

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I think there's a pretty massive difference between democratic institutions and for profit private corporations... But to each their own :dunno:
Less difference than you'd think... but another discussion for another time and place...

Find me a pro sport team not motivated by greed and I'll find you a unicorn
It's not about the nature of wealth – we all know sports owners are greedy. It's about advising people on the sneakier greed they may not see coming. Sure, we know arena food is expensive, but the Tweet with the fries shows just how grossly overboard it's gone. Some people will rethink eating at the game thanks to that Tweet and our discussion. The more info we share, the better armed we are as consumers to avoid being ripped off. I'll bet you didn't realize you were part of a public service announcement.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Its a long shot but if Buffalo finds a way to make the playoff, they're a wagon! Such a fun team to watch, things are clicking since the Byram's trade and UPL hot streak

I’m rooting for them. In the meantime, Ovie and the Caps are suddenly in a playoff spot again by both points and points percentage. Hopefully all these Eastern teams bring it and give us some good games down the stretch

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Less difference than you'd think... but another discussion for another time and place...

Don't recall ever having a voting opportunity to get rid of, or show my support for Molson...

Pretty thin logic to claim they are even remotely similar.

It's not about the nature of wealth – we all know sports owners are greedy. It's about advising people on the sneakier greed they may not see coming. Sure, we know arena food is expensive, but the Tweet with the fries shows just how grossly overboard it's gone. Some people will rethink eating at the game thanks to that Tweet and our discussion. The more info we share, the better armed we are as consumers to avoid being ripped off. I'll bet you didn't realize you were part of a public service announcement.

An adult surprised by price gouging at an entertainment venue either has never been to a movie theatre, or has never been paying attention to the world they live in.

Either way, the best solution is quite evidently not to spend another penny supporting something they are so appalled by.

If you need someone else to tell you that 20$ for a watered down beer and another 20$ for a handful of fries is a rip off... You've got bigger problems.

Sorry, but I don't buy your rational in the slightest. There are far too many real world problems and instances of unecessary suffering all around us to have even a second of concern for a wealthy individual complaining about getting ripped off by even wealthier individuals... I don't have a small enough violin for that :naughty:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I just realized that if I were an active nhl player today, I'd be the oldest in the league.

I actually meant to track this line as I got older but it sneaks up on you quickly. I'm guessing I crossed the line at some point this past off season.

Edit: I ended up trying to pinpoint when I became older than everyone, and it seems like it would be April 13, 2023, when Craig Anderson called it a career.

Hello darkness my only friend......

Last edited:
Reactions: Fatbiggie and Lshap
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad