HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2023-2024 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Torts factor, some love him, some don't.
Despite Couts not producing lately, I'm sure he's still effective defensively. This is a crucial game for their playoff hopes, and not playing one of their better defensive player against Matthews seems silly.

I like Torts because he expects the same out of everyone, but his schtick gets old quick which is why he can never keep a coaching gig for long.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
Decided to bore myself to tears with a little bit of Marek's show earlier today. ESPN's Wyshynski was on and basically said, "if the increased scoring lately is a direct result of expansion let's add 50 teams"

The game and its media are in great hands!
well, he accomplished what he set out to do. he got you to repeat his hot take in a different place, and potentially attract more eyeballz :laugh:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Funny - a few years before 2016, Florida was a relatively cheap option. In 2010, I got seats near the Habs bench for my kids and then wife for a total cost of about $400 CDN. Food was also reasonable. Not surprised to hear prices caught up shortly after.

My brother in Toronto goes to games in Buffalo because it's much cheaper, even with travel. I wonder how much difference there still is between markets.

I'm pretty chill with ticket prices, even in big markets, because you know what you're getting in advance. Same with food, to an extent, except it's not always clear how overpriced it is and whether it's any good. Obviously we pay a premium to eat at the arena, but there's a point when a premium becomes an outright gouging. For me, that point is when they can't be bothered to at least offer decent food for the cost.

Yeah, that's my thing - halfway decent quality. I'm more forgiving of being punched in my wallet than my digestive tract.

People vent online about everything – taxes, roads, the weather, their in-laws, even hockey. It's all the same – idle talk with no expectations of change. In the grand scheme of things it may be "Silly" to opine over things we can't change, but we don't live in the grand scheme of anything. Until something more profound comes along, we're stuck with mundane silliness here in a thread on a message board on a Tuesday morning.
Yeah, Buffalo is quite reasonably priced.

Went there a few years back and Carey Price almost scored a goal. It was halfway down the ice and the Sabres were on a line change. One of them got back just in time or it would’ve gone in.

Reactions: Lshap

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The out of town is slowly becoming an economic thread, cool i kind of like debating on different subject so i'll chip in.

I'm a crazy hockey fan but i would never spend 200 dollars to go see a hockey game when we can see all of them on subscribe tv channel. and yes complaining about it is a bit silly compared to the ones who cant barely pay their electricity bills cuz you know for them consuming electricity is not a choice
I’ve only gone recently because I wanted my son to see some games.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
I hate the state of the game today.
i don't hate it, i still derive plenty of enjoyment from nhl hockey and this sad-sack Habs team.

but yeah there's specific things that bug me
- logos on jerseys
- inconsistent DoPS
- turning a blind eye to LTIR shenanigans
- increased scoring trend encouraged by rules/equipment changes
- CG ads on the boards :rant:
- concession prices/ticket prices/affordability is increasingly out of reach for regular folks
- All Star break

yeh i'll stop there, others please chime in

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
i don't hate it, i still derive plenty of enjoyment from nhl hockey and this sad-sack Habs team.

but yeah there's specific things that bug me
- logos on jerseys
- inconsistent DoPS
- turning a blind eye to LTIR shenanigans
- increased scoring trend encouraged by rules/equipment changes
- CG ads on the boards :rant:
- concession prices/ticket prices/affordability is increasingly out of reach for regular folks
- All Star break

yeh i'll stop there, others please chime in
IMO you missed the worst of all in the low number of intradivision games. Theres nothing that bores me to death like lifeless hockey at 9 PM like well have tonight. I feel like every game is outside the division.

They need to rework the schedule. I understand the economics but at some point if you want to actually grow the game you need to bring an exciting product to the table.

They need to either go to 8 divisions or just bite the bullet and have us periodically skip games against other conferences.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
IMO you missed the worst of all in the low number of intradivision games. Theres nothing that bores me to death like lifeless hockey at 9 PM like well have tonight. I feel like every game is outside the division.

They need to rework the schedule. I understand the economics but at some point if you want to actually grow the game you need to bring an exciting product to the table.

They need to either go to 8 divisions or just bite the bullet and have us periodically skip games against other conferences.
ugh hell yeah, i knew i missed a big one. made this ****ty season even ****ier imo.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Aw damn, I always liked Chris Simon. He put together a bunch of very good seasons. 29 goals in 1999-2000 translates to ~69 or so in 2023-2024.

2003-2004 is hilarious

78GP 17G 11A +15(!) 250PIM followed by 5 playoff goals and another 74 PIM 🤣during Calgary’s 2004 cup winning run

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
Despite Couts not producing lately, I'm sure he's still effective defensively. This is a crucial game for their playoff hopes, and not playing one of their better defensive player against Matthews seems silly.

I like Torts because he expects the same out of everyone, but his schtick gets old quick which is why he can never keep a coaching gig for long.
He has coached for 7 seasons in Tampa Bay, 4 and a half seasons in New York and 6 seasons in Columbus. He has now been in Philadelphia for 2 seasons and I don’t expect him to be fired anytime soon. The average NHL head coaching tenure length is 2.4 years.

I don’t want to target you specifically because it seems very common to lump Tortorella in with the other hothead coaches that last 2 years tops but it isn’t actually the case at all.

Haven’t seen anyone argue that Philly isn’t massively overperforming this year either.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Its a long shot but if Buffalo finds a way to make the playoff, they're a wagon! Such a fun team to watch, things are clicking since the Byram's trade and UPL hot streak

They're going to end up like last year, 2 to 5 points out of a playoff spot. They were complete shit in October, November & December. They turned it around in January.

Everyone has games in hand on them.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Amusing drama continues in Philadelphia as Daniel Briere accuses Ryan Johansen of pretending to be injured to avoid going to the AHL. Who’s the next GM to throw a player, albeit a cap dumped one, or former scout under the bus? Glad we run a tighter ship than that in Montreal.

If he's injured he also can't be bought out.

• Haha
Reactions: Shred
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad