Out of Town Thread 2021: Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Patrick Kane with 400 career goals and in contention for another Hart trophy at 32 years old. Meanwhile Carey Price can't stop a beach ball unless he has a hall of fame defense in front of him. You would think that Price is the one with 3 cups and a Conn Smythe since he doesn't care and Kane is the one that is trying to get his first cup if you compared their performances.
HOF D? I think Price would settle for one decent top 4 on his left side... But yeah, he's been bad this season. As for Kane, he's had a pretty wicked career. Esp his postseason exploits. 1st ballot HOFer.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Sergachev with 16 points in 19 games.

Would be nice to have him along with Romanov going forward for our d-core.
The way we made this trade still baffles me.

If you're going to trade for Drouin and gamble, that's cool. He was an NHL ready player and trading for a guy who can help you 'win it now' is fine even if you're gambling on giving up a great prospect. But you need to follow it up and we didn't do this. We trade away Sergachev, don't replace him or Markov, put Drouin at center (?)... I mean it's just so laughably bad.

That trade always had the potential to make MB look bad. But to mitigate the benefits of getting the older player he really made things a lot worse. Now we get to see just how bad of a trade this is going to be. I think Sergachev is going to be a killer and he just so happens to play on the biggest hole we have.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
HOF D? I think Price would settle for one decent top 4 on his left side... But yeah, he's been bad this season. As for Kane, he's had a pretty wicked career. Esp his postseason exploits. 1st ballot HOFer.
I think Price needs to put up and shut up because the backup is doing better on the same team, he's performed well with the same defense so it's a consistency issue with him, and other goalies are doing much better with just as bad if not worse defense. Highest paid goalie in the league shouldn't need excuses much like how a guy like Kane doesn't need excuses even though his are valid when he's already accomplished so much.

Reactions: Tuggy and Oryxo

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
I think Price needs to put up and shut up because the backup is doing better on the same team, he's performed well with the same defense so it's a consistency issue with him, and other goalies are doing much better with just as bad if not worse defense. Highest paid goalie in the league shouldn't need excuses much like how a guy like Kane doesn't need excuses even though his are valid when he's already accomplished so much.
Kane is a good comparison actually.

- former top 5 player in his position
- awarded massive contract on past accomplishments/reputation
- aged 32-33
- lots of hardware
- below average team

Difference is, Kane is still putting up points (11G 23A 34P in 23GP)...

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Difference is, Kane is still putting up points (11G 23A 34P in 23GP)...
While also help his team to 3 cups(got a Conn Smythe in one of them). Had he been putting up the same performance as Price, I'm sure Hawks fans wouldn't be as upset considering what he's done for them, but Price hasn't made the conference finals once as a starter and is dogging it.

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
While also help his team to 3 cups(got a Conn Smythe in one of them). Had he been putting up the same performance as Price, I'm sure Hawks fans wouldn't be as upset considering what he's done for them, but Price hasn't made the conference finals once as a starter and is dogging it.
Kane's coach never played Desharnais ahead of Jonathan Toews. And believe me, MT would've if he could've... Kane is awesome. But he had the opportunity to play on great clubs, Price never did.

In any event, Kane is well deserving of the 1st ballot vote. The only thing that might keep him off would be his off ice behaviour and I don't see that happening. He may not be the best player of his era but he's going to be in the top five.

Edit: I replied to this three times and nothing showed... then all of a sudden they all appeared. :laugh: something weird on the site.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
MB and the habs have avoided giving out cap circumventing deals and long term retirement contracts since the beginning.

Then they gave Price one.

I think it was kind of a blank check situation.

Reality is long term deals aren't a good idea usually. Sometimes you have no choice.

Few players could maintain top end performances that long.

The only issue most of us have is we expected Price to regress much later into the contract.

There was absolutely no excuse for it. Particularly after the Luongo precedent which was not only highly publicized but also recognized league wide as a monumental blunder.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
There was absolutely no excuse for it. Particularly after the Luongo precedent which was not only highly publicized but also recognized league wide as a monumental blunder.

Price and Luongo's deals are very different.

Luongo's deal is like Weber's contract.

Those contracts end in their 40s. Price's ends when he's 38. It's late for sure but its not as dramatic in terms of playing career.

Price is currently 33 and getting mixed reactions to his performances. Even if we gave him a 6 year deal ending at 36 years old we'd still be overpaying him today.

He's too young to be playing this way. This type of play should be in the second half of his 30s...

Reactions: Redux91

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Price and Luongo's deals are very different.

Luongo's deal is like Weber's contract.

Those contracts end in their 40s. Price's ends when he's 38. It's late for sure but its not as dramatic in terms of playing career.

Price is currently 33 and getting mixed reactions to his performances. Even if we gave him a 6 year deal ending at 36 years old we'd still be overpaying him today.

He's too young to be playing this way. This type of play should be in the second half of his 30s...

I realize that but in terms of total $$$$ and term it still handcuffs a club no matter how you slice it.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Contract percentage was right in line with Lundqvist's.

What's inexcusable is what MB did with the team after he signed him.
Man that frnachise is just really going nowhere. We suck but Buffalo... OUFFF
Just doesn't make any sense...

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Strange thing is that the exact same owners have been great for the Bills.

Bills nailed the Coach/GM hiring... that is what is fuelling their resurgence.

All indications seem to be the Sabres have still haven't got their interal leadership properly in place... He's on his 3rd choice of GM since buying the team (4th including the one he inherited), but Adams just started last summer, so i would bet he gets at least 2 more offseasons to get things moving in the right direction.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Eichel and Hall SHOULD be awesome together.

I have not watched their games, I don't know what's happening there but wtf?

Their D is awful. Dahlin has not progressed as quickly as expected so they only have Ristolainen whose had a bit of a resurgence this season.

$15m tied up in Skinner and Okposo who have 2 points combined

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

As of today, teams can sign prospects to an ELC that begins next year. There have been numerous prospects signed today. Habs signed Fairbrother. But also, Dallas sign their 2020 1st rounder.

Reactions: DavePeak
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad