Out of Town Thread 2021: Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Without mentioning the Habs at all, who's the best of the rest in the North? Leafs are obviously the favourites and arguably the top team in the division right now, but who comes after them?

I've watched each team a handful of times this year, but I can't get a good read on which one stands out from the pack.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Without mentioning the Habs at all, who's the best of the rest in the North? Leafs are obviously the favourites and arguably the top team in the division right now, but who comes after them?

I've watched each team a handful of times this year, but I can't get a good read on which one stands out from the pack.
From watching quite a few games from renamed Metro & Central games, no division is anywhere as intense as the North division games. The Bos-NYR game last week was the most intense game out of the other three divisions that I’ve seen and it’s now 2-months into the season - those seem to be typical levels of intensity in the North from start of the season

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Duchene and his contract in Nashville looks awful right now. We dodged a bullet on that one didn’t we?
Definitely did. I was one of the posters wanting MB to go for that as well. I think it's the fact that we've been starved for star power here for a while that I was willing to do anything to get some, even if Duchene himself isn't even a star.

MB's gotten lucky on a couple contracts that didn't happen. Lucic and Danault are another couple that come to mind.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
OK, so the Hens need to screw off the Figs tonight. The Cannots need to surprise the Flames. That would prove wonderful for the Habs. As for the other game, I don't know. Just don't want an OT finish. Jets could win, tiens. It would keep the Oilers at bay.

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Despite being in 5th, I still think Calgary is a top-3 team in the division. They got good forwards, defence and goaltending.

Despite the rather, um, questionable defence, Winnipeg should be #4 when all is said and done. Their centers are arguably the strongest #1-#4 and if Hellebuyck can get that Verona form going, they’d be better than the remaining teams.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Despite being in 5th, I still think Calgary is a top-3 team in the division. They got good forwards, defence and goaltending.

Despite the rather, um, questionable defence, Winnipeg should be #4 when all is said and done. Their centers are arguably the strongest #1-#4 and if Hellebuyck can get that Verona form going, they’d be better than the remaining teams.

Markstrom has been a huge pickup for the Flames. He’s stolen some points and just provides a stable and calm presence.

As long as his health holds up, I would put them a notch above Winnipeg, but it’s pretty close.

I’m not really sure where the Habs slot in right now, but I’m reasonably certain that Edmonton and Vancouver will be on the outside looking in, joining the Sens of course.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I am not seeing any real intensity in our division. I mean 3 teams are normal rivals in the east and 3 also in the west. Only Winnipeg is the stand out. And our intensity with the leafs might as well be the warming plate on the stove. I put oil peg and flames(good band name or a bad date) around the same level. 60-65 points to end the season depending on over times. Nucks then Sens.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
From what I’ve seen Flames and Jets are the biggest threats to the Habs and Leafs at the top of the north.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
From what I’ve seen Flames and Jets are the biggest threats to the Habs and Leafs at the top of the north.

Assuming those teams make the playoffs, Calgary is the #1 team I do NOT want in the opening round.

Markstrom has been a huge pickup for the Flames. He’s stolen some points and just provides a stable and calm presence.

As long as his health holds up, I would put them a notch above Winnipeg, but it’s pretty close.

I’m not really sure where the Habs slot in right now, but I’m reasonably certain that Edmonton and Vancouver will be on the outside looking in, joining the Sens of course.

I think we’ll finish 3rd if I had to put a finish in now, but between us and Calgary, we’re close, it’s goaltending that’s the wildcard here I think. Markstrom when he’s on is pure beast mode. Price really needs to build off Saturday.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Duchene and his contract in Nashville looks awful right now.

We dodged a bullet on that one didn’t we?

I haven’t looked this up, but has there been a recent, say last 10 years where a major UFA signing paid dividends to the club who signed that player? A contract that eats up 8%+ of the team cap?

Tavares has done ok, and Panarin has been tearing it up, but Lucic, Ericsson, Okposo, Skinner, Bobrovsky... those haven’t looked good.

Reactions: Tighthead

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I haven’t looked this up, but has there been a recent, say last 10 years where a major UFA signing paid dividends to the club who signed that player? A contract that eats up 8%+ of the team cap?

Tavares has done ok, and Panarin has been tearing it up, but Lucic, Ericsson, Okposo, Skinner, Bobrovsky... those haven’t looked good.

It’s not quite the same but the Stone deal in Vegas looks good right now - but it’s early.

Karlsson’s health was always in question. Once they start using cadaver parts to rebuild you, things are getting dicey. That deal looks terrible.

Reactions: sandviper

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal

Alexander Radulov :(

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Tavares and Panarin are examples of overpaying for actual talent. The flops you listed are based on overpaying for need. Clearly there’s a big difference.

Also the flops are all poor skaters (Bobrovsky notwithstanding, goalies are just volatile). Tavares is an average skater too but far more talented than the rest. Poor skaters age horribly.

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Tavares and Panarin are examples of overpaying for actual talent. The flops you listed are based on overpaying for need. Clearly there’s a big difference.

Also the flops are all poor skaters (Bobrovsky notwithstanding, goalies are just volatile). Tavares is an average skater too but far more talented than the rest. Poor skaters age horribly.

Poor skaters fight it on two fronts. They get slower, and the league gets incrementally faster each year.

Reactions: le_sean
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad