Out of Town Thread 2021: Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Ovy isn't playing all his games against shit defenses

The Caps were the only good team in the Southeast Division for over half a decade, sleep walked to 5 straight division titles iirc, his 65 goal season was in there. Guy just brutalized my Thrashers every game. Got to the point you'd go to a game and see more kids wearing Ovechkin jerseys than Kovalchuk or Hossa (who was criminally underrated) lol. Man he was a force of nature back then. They say if you can't beat a team physically just beat them on the scoreboard. Ovi was like why not both

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The Caps were the only good team in the Southeast Division for over half a decade, sleep walked to 5 straight division titles iirc, his 65 goal season was in there. Guy just brutalized my Thrashers every game. Got to the point you'd go to a game and see more kids wearing Ovechkin jerseys than Kovalchuk or Hossa (who was criminally underrated) lol. Man he was a force of nature back then. They say if you can't beat a team physically just beat them on the scoreboard. Ovi was like why not both

Divisional play accounted for less than 40% of games, compared to 100% this year, which makes your argument completely irrelevant.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
i don't watch non Hab NHL games but if you would have told me in the off-season that at this point in the season Hall/Eichel would have combined for 3 goals I would have called you crazy.

I know there were many willing to give Hall 8M+ but looks like that would have been a bad idea.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
i don't watch non Hab NHL games but if you would have told me in the off-season that at this point in the season Hall/Eichel would have combined for 3 goals I would have called you crazy.

I know there were many willing to give Hall 8M+ but looks like that would have been a bad idea.

Kakko and Lafreniere have 3 points each, that is also a bit underwhelming.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I'm getting more of more afraid that this year may be theirs
I wouldn't worry about that too much. They are playing in the north. Even if their stats look great, its a competition issue. Hell Eller has 11 points in 17 games. That washington team looks real good this season. Boston is another. If you look at the other divisions they are much tighter from 1-5 because all those teams are fairly skilled. We have the weakest division because only Toronto, oilers(.542) and jets(.514) were above .500 teams last season. Toronto only had .521 but they had 9 OTL which isn't counted.

guess who is top 3 in our division this year? Literally the same 3 teams only TO is having much better success bottom feeding on a weak division. To be fair each team is stuck in their division, but if you go by last years % we have the weakest overall numbers. Not a single team above .550 while every other division has teams that were over .600 last year. Meaning they are playing against harder teams OVERALL.

And Toronto isn't junk by any means. Lots of game breaking talent, their young guys are in their prime, finally got some good goaltending. Their D squad is still suspect though. Just not worse than the jokes around our division. They will likely get out of the division but hardly means much and playoffs are a lot different than regular season. See us and Boston. We own them no matter how bad the habs are.

Through the conclusion of the 2019–20 regular season, the Canadiens have won 469 games,[4] with the Bruins winning 345 of them, with 103 games between the two teams ending in ties, and 10 other games between the two teams ending in shootouts.[43] In the playoffs, the two teams have met in 34 series for a total of 177 games, 11 series, and 60 more games than two other Original Six teams, the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs.[43][45] The two teams have faced each other nine times in Game 7 NHL playoff games, more than any other pair of opponents in NHL history

The Bruins-Habs rivalry is one of the most storied in all of sports, and these two Original Six franchises have met in the playoffs 33 times before, with the Canadiens winning 24 times.

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal

Add Skinner and you still have the same total of 3 goals combined... 4 if you include Dahlin... yikes

We have our share of ugly contracts in MTL but damn Skinner... what a catastrophe

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Hall has always been High maintenance Low IQ with purely physical attributes. I never got on that train. Eichel wants to win and has lost faith.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
if the leafs win the cup, i will have to stop watching hockey. They have the easiest path towards the final four.
They have yet to win a series with that group. Imagine this scenario...
Leafs running away with the division while the Habs are hovering around 4th. The Leafs take the pedal off the gas for our three remaining games which allows us to scrape in. Habs take out the Leafs in 7. :D

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Patrick Kane with 400 career goals and in contention for another Hart trophy at 32 years old. Meanwhile Carey Price can't stop a beach ball unless he has a hall of fame defense in front of him. You would think that Price is the one with 3 cups and a Conn Smythe since he doesn't care and Kane is the one that is trying to get his first cup if you compared their performances.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Patrick Kane with 400 career goals and in contention for another Hart trophy at 32 years old. Meanwhile Carey Price can't stop a beach ball unless he has a hall of fame defense in front of him. You would think that Price is the one with 3 cups and a Conn Smythe since he doesn't care and Kane is the one that is trying to get his first cup if you compared their performances.

Blackhawks without Toews are doing much better than expected, probably one of the biggest surprises?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

MB and the habs have avoided giving out cap circumventing deals and long term retirement contracts since the beginning.

Then they gave Price one.

I think it was kind of a blank check situation.

Reality is long term deals aren't a good idea usually. Sometimes you have no choice.

Few players could maintain top end performances that long.

The only issue most of us have is we expected Price to regress much later into the contract.

Reactions: Rapala

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
MB and the habs have avoided giving out cap circumventing deals and long term retirement contracts since the beginning.

Then they gave Price one.

I think it was kind of a blank check situation.

Reality is long term deals aren't a good idea usually. Sometimes you have no choice.

Few players could maintain top end performances that long.

The only issue most of us have is we expected Price to regress much later into the contract.

It can be a good idea when you sign someone like Ovy, McJesus or Crosby when they are in the middle of their 20ies. But certainly not when you sign a late 20ies goalie who is recovering from a serious injury.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
It can be a good idea when you sign someone like Ovy, McJesus or Crosby when they are in the middle of their 20ies. But certainly not when you sign a late 20ies goalie who is recovering from a serious injury.

Those are 3 generational talents, easy sell.

In general though we've seen guys like Mike Richards get long term deals. It's just nonsensical and we didn't take part in it until Price had to be re-signed. Let's call it what it is, the team owed him from before and he is/was a huge market favorite.

Damage is done now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->