Aug 11, 2016
Warren County
Can only go by what I’ve seen...certainly true so far

cdb.gif

johnny pierogi

15 MINUTES OF FAYNE
Aug 11, 2016
Warren County
The Devils are in the basement of the league coached by a bald idiot and Nolan Patrick can't play because of a legitimate health concern. Bring draft picks 3, 4 and 5 over to the Devils and let's see them operate under the Hynes 'pull a f***ing rabbit out of my ass' system

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Really? I’m pretty sure I didn’t actually say those words

Fact is that so far Miro, Makar and Petterson have all looked better than Nico and Patrick.

I know many won’t care now but no Nico no playoffs his rookie year in my view. Also I’m not convinced Makar or Heiskanen are looking as good in NJ. I live in the DAL TV market and watch Heiskanen most of the time. Great player but soft as melted butter. Given the makeup of the NJ roster he’d be roundly criticized in NJ for that.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
The Devils are in the basement of the league coached by a bald idiot and Nolan Patrick can't play because of a legitimate health concern. Bring draft picks 3, 4 and 5 over to the Devils and let's see them operate under the Hynes 'pull a ****ing rabbit out of my ass' system

Best ability is availability, Patrick had a history of injuries and it’s carried over, we got lucky the Flyers took him.

I would trade Hischier for the other 3 in a heartbeat. Petterson thrives under Travis Green who’s not a good coach, Makar already has 23 points as a rookie lol, Miro would be our best d-man for the next decade+

Nico is a fine player, and when Hughes becomes the big time 1C he’s destined to be having Nico will be a great option as a 2C. But I’d still take the other 3 over him. It’s not really a knock either, they’re all phenomenal players.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Anyway, 16 straight games with a point for the Isles and they’ve won 15 of them lol.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Honestly a lot of the Isles naysaying reminds me of the naysaying around the Devils in 2003. And yes I know the Devils had two legendary defenseman and a legendary goalie and the Isles don't...but there's something about the way that team's responding to every challenge, and is still likely going to be an underdog in almost every series. I don't think they'll be an easy out in the playoffs this year though. Especially assuming Lou adds at the deadline, which he probably will.

Reactions: Oneiro

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
The inability to concede that the Isles are doing something right as an organization is pretty embarrassing.

"They're not that good. They'll revert." Maybe so. But they are maxing out their resources, instead of stockpiling assets that continue to under-perform. Who knows what will happen if a player of serious stature goes there in a trade or free agency.

Reactions: Devils090

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Isles are a good team due to a good, not great but good roster along with a very good coach. We are missing the latter.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I fully expect Nico is going to break out and people won’t be questioning his place in that draft.

I was hoping it would be this year, but this team is a tire fire right now.

Reactions: Dialamo

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
I fully expect Nico is going to break out and people won’t be questioning his place in that draft.

This was mentioned somewhere on the main boards as well by a poster who has seen Nico in juniors and now in the NHL, but he and myself really do wonder how much Hynes and the system are holding him back offensively.

He showed a much bigger arsenal of offensive moves in juniors than he has in the NHL. And before anyone says the NHL is a completely different animal than juniors, of course this is true, but he showed a lot more flash, toe drags etc than he has in the NHL. I've even seen him do crazy moves during practice videos some of the beat reporters have shared over the years, so maybe he just isn't comfortable doing them in games? The skill is there.

I wonder how much is Hynes or how much he's just worried about being a defensive minded center? Might not be comfortable yet, who knows.

He has a lot more to give offensively and I hope he reaches it on his own, or another coach can get it out of him because he's capable of it. He has a good, accurate shot, but it can definitely be better. Just has to keep working on it.

Reactions: Dialamo and My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
This was mentioned somewhere on the main boards as well by a poster who has seen Nico in juniors and now in the NHL, but he and myself really do wonder how much Hynes and the system are holding him back offensively.

He showed a much bigger arsenal of offensive moves in juniors than he has in the NHL. And before anyone says the NHL is a completely different animal than juniors, of course this is true, but he showed a lot more flash, toe drags etc than he has in the NHL. I've even seen him do crazy moves during practice videos some of the beat reporters have shared over the years, so maybe he just isn't comfortable doing them in games? The skill is there.

I wonder how much is Hynes or how much he's just worried about being a defensive minded center? Might not be comfortable yet, who knows.

He has a lot more to give offensively and I hope he reaches it on his own, or another coach can get it out of him because he's capable of it. He has a good, accurate shot, but it can definitely be better. Just has to keep working on it.

It sounds a bit like what Hynes did to Zacha where Zacha would always overplay his defensive role last season early on. That ended with Zacha in Bingo where he had to rebalance his game. Nico is a much better offensive player than Zacha to my eyes but he needs to rebalance his game as I see it. Of course with the Hynes turtle system that’s difficult.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

This team can't score more than 2 goals right now, unless Keith Kinkaid is in nets.

So I fully expect most players on the team are going to have down seasons in offensive production, either until there's a coaching change or until this stupid conservative system is blown to smithereens.

Reactions: Dialamo

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Sabres vs Bruins: 3 goals against Ullmark, no chance on any, 2 rebound goals against, 1 deflection goal against. 2 goals against Rask, 1 stoppable, 1 rebound goal against.

Ducks vs Panthers: 5 goals against Gibson, 2 stoppable, 1 rebound goal against, 1 deflection goal against. 4 goals against Bobrovsky, 2 stoppable, 1 rebound goal against.

Penguins vs Islanders: 4 goals against Murray, 1 stoppable, 1 rebound goal against. 3 goals against Greiss, 2 stoppable, 2 rebound goals against.

Red Wings vs Blue Jackets: 5 goals against Howard, 2 stoppable, 2 rebound goals against. 4 goals against Korpisalo, no chance on any. 3 deflection goals against.

Flyers vs Hurricanes: 3 goals against Elliott, 2 stoppable, 1 rebound goal against. 4 goals against Mrazek, 1 stoppable.

Avalanche vs Wild: 3 goals against Grubauer, no chance on any, 1 rebound goal against, 1 deflection goal against. 2 goals against Stalock, 1 stoppable.

Predators vs Canucks: 5 goals against Rinne, 1 stoppable, 2 rebound goals against, 2 deflection goals against. 3 goals against Markstrom, 1 stoppable, 1 deflection goal against.

Flames vs Blues: 5 goals against Rittich, 4 stoppable. Binnington gets the shutout.

Lightning vs Blackhawks: 2 goals against McElhinney, 1 stoppable, 1 rebound goal against. 3 goals against Crawford, 1 stoppable.

Jets vs Stars: 4 goals against Hellebuyck, no chance on any. 2 rebound goals against, 1 deflection goal against. 3 goals against Bishop, 1 stoppable, 1 rebound goal against, 1 deflection goal against.

Maple Leafs vs Coyotes: 1 goal against Andersen, no chance, 1 rebound goal against. 3 goals against Kuemper, 2 stoppable, 1 rebound goal against.

Golden Knights vs Sharks: 2 goals against Fleury, 1 stoppable, 1 rebound goal against. 1 goal against Dell and it's stoppable.

Oilers vs Kings: 3 goals against Smith, 2 stoppable, 1 rebound goal against. 2 goals against Koskinen in relief, no chance on either. 1 goal against Quick, no chance.

So that's 76 goals scored against goalies last night, 29 are stoppable. That's 38% of the goals score were stoppable. 22 (29%) were on rebounds. 11 (14%) were on deflections. Combined save percentages were .906%.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
There were too many goals last night. It was like 1984 throwback night.

At least there's only 2 games on tonight and I know at least one goalie that will likely only get scored on 2 times tonight. :help:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Softy of the night is this Brent Seabrook dead angle goal on Curtis McElhinney

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Not making fun of them because we are just as bad. But the Rangers are getting pasted by the Senators

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Not making fun of them because we are just as bad. But the Rangers are getting pasted by the Senators

Quinn is going to get shitcanned, but their issues have a lot more to do with their roster.

They would be unwise to pull the plug on the rebuild and try to go all in in the short term.

Their prospect pool has been overrated despite all the picks they have hoarded. They got some players, but some of those early picks were not good.

Kakko will be fine though, and Bread keeps proving he is one of the best wingers in the league.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Quinn is going to get ****canned, but their issues have a lot more to do with their roster.

They would be unwise to pull the plug on the rebuild and try to go all in in the short term.

Yea, it looks like some of their young players who were being hyped aren't panning out. Which is typical of most prospects that aren't top-5 picks who get hyped up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad