Out-of-town Scoreboard 2018-19 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
FLA got the better of us but we got fortunate bounces
I know this is your shtick but you're willfully ignoring what actually happened. We got good goaltending and penalty killing in the first period with a drive-to-the-net goal at the end, followed by a very dominant second period. If the entire game was like that third period, then you'd have a point.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The late games are over by 11pm EST and the only games tomorrow are Flames/Leafs and Wild/Canucks? :whine:
That's a Monday night for you! Usually the most slow night in the NHL. Might be because of Monday Night Football, but it seems to have been that way for as long as I can remember. Although Wednesday, Friday and Sunday are sometimes light nights as well. Wednesday just usually has one big time/big market game American game, then one big market Canadian prime time game.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Every year there's multiple teams early in the season that overachieve and have more wins than they probably should and usually don't look good while doing it. Then you go and see they're teams that are getting badly outshot, but have pretty good goaltending and a high save percentage up to that point.

Guess who one of those teams are right now?

But I'm sure this will be spun into some narrative about how they look really good and have been playing strong.
That's entirely fair but the Isles opened with about as brutal a schedule as anyone with 8 of 11 on the road, 4 combined games vs the Preds and Sharks, 2 vs a very good Canes team in Raleigh and a west coast trip. Being assured of no worse than being NHL .500 after that is an accomplishment.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
I would have to think about that. Schneids is a below average tender the last two years but Rask has been just average for 4 years now. Schneids in the post season last year was better than anything I saw out of Rask last year. Rask did play more games to give himself more time to look bad but there were a lot of backbreakers scored on him and they almost lost to the TML because of how mediocre he was that round. Neither one of them is elite anymore despite all the praise Rask still gets.

Rask did have his god mode stretch when he was unbeatable last year.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That's entirely fair but the Isles opened with about as brutal a schedule as anyone with 8 of 11 on the road, 4 combined games vs the Preds and Sharks, 2 vs a very good Canes team in Raleigh and a west coast trip. Being assured of no worse than being NHL .500 after that is an accomplishment.
I just don't think they're a good team. They get outplayed a lot, not like the Doug Weight era, but they're kind of like Ottawa to me, only not THAT bad.

Don't get me wrong, Ottawa is worse, but I'm just talking as far how they get outplayed.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I just don't think they're a good team. They get outplayed a lot, not like the Doug Weight era, but they're kind of like Ottawa to me, only not THAT bad.

Don't get me wrong, Ottawa is worse, but I'm just talking as far how they get outplayed.
They aren't worldbeaters but they are getting outplayed a lot because they've played mostly very good teams. The 4 games they played against junk the only one they looked bad in was vs Florida. They will get worked by real good teams, they will be competitive with the mediocre dreck. There's a lot of mediocre dreck in the league so they have a shot at being competitive.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You know what? f*** the goals against review, EVERY GOAL ALLOWED TONIGHT IS A STOPPABLE GOAL!

Just kidding

Rangers vs Kings: Lundqvist allows 4 goals, 2 are of them are stoppable. Campbell allows 3 goals and 2 of them are stoppable.

Islanders vs Hurricanes: Mrazek allows 2 goals and 1 stoppable. Greiss allows 1 goal and had no chance on it.

Stars vs Red Wings: Bishop allows 3 goals and had no chance on any of them. Bernier allowed 2 goals and no real chance on any. I didn't slash him on the first goal, which beat right to the outside of the blocker. I'm more forgiving on the stick side than I am on the glove side. Bishop allows a goal while going to play the puck behind the net, it takes a crazy bounce and is put into the empty net. That's a bad break and not something to be counted against the goalie.

Oilers vs Blackhawks: Talbot allows 1 goal and had no chance on it. Ward allows 2 goals and had no chance on either.

Senators vs Golden Knights: Fleury allows 3 goals and had no chance on any of them. Anderson allows 4 goals and had no chance on any of them.

Sharks vs Ducks: Jones allows 3 goals and 1 is stoppable. Gibson allows 4 goals and 2 are stoppable. The second stoppable goal of the game for Gibson was on the OT winner. It's a very subtle mistake and and you really have to watch to see what he did wrong on this play. Instead of covering the puck for a whistle, he pushes it back into play and that caused the OT winner. I think he should be dinged on that one, despite having a pretty good game and facing a lot of shots.

So in conclusion, that's 9 stoppable goals allowed out of 32 scored on goalies tonight and that comes out to 28% of goals allowed were stoppable today. Not 100% which I was falsely accused of earlier. there were 3 games that there were absolutely zero stoppable goals allowed at all, but Lundqvist and Campbell were AWFUL today. Softy of the night is very easily the Tony DeAngelo dead angle 5-hole goal on Jack Campbell, with Alec Martinez's backbreaking game winner with under a minute left on Lundqvist being a close runner-up.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
They aren't worldbeaters but they are getting outplayed a lot because they've played mostly very good teams. The 4 games they played against junk the only one they looked bad in was vs Florida. They will get worked by real good teams, they will be competitive with the mediocre dreck. There's a lot of mediocre dreck in the league so they have a shot at being competitive.
I think they can have a season like the Devils did in 15-16, where there not terrible, but they don't make the playoffs. A season good enough to not pick in the 5-10, but not good enough to make the playoffs. I think they can also pick in the top 5-10, but I'm saying at the best I see them an 85-87 point team, with potential for 90 points at the very best.

Lou isn't good anymore and added a lot of flotsam and jetsam, which was the joke during his last season here.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I think they can have a season like the Devils did in 15-16, where there not terrible, but they don't make the playoffs. A season good enough to not pick in the 5-10, but not good enough to make the playoffs. I think they can also pick in the top 5-10, but I'm saying at the best I see them an 85-87 point team, with potential for 90 points at the very best.

Lou isn't good anymore and added a lot of flotsam and jetsam, which was the joke during his last season here.
Basically it's a game of whether Trotz is so great that he can overcome all the terrible moves Lou has made.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Bill Peters annoys me when I look at him. He looks like a middle aged elementary schooler with that stupid haircut.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
I am sure losing the 1st game without Matthews, to the Flames no less, whilst scoring 1 goal, will go over juuuust fiiiine in Toronto.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Might be Nylander time?

Maybe - it's gone this far, who's willing to cave in on their ask to fill in a roster spot? Might not be that easy if the stalemate has dragged out this long.

My gut instinct is that both situations (Matthews and Nylander) get resolved via trade.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Maybe - it's gone this far, who's willing to cave in on their ask to fill in a roster spot? Might not be that easy if the stalemate has dragged out this long.

My gut instinct is that both situations (Matthews and Nylander) get resolved via trade.
When is the deadline to sign him before he can't play this year? It used to be like December 1st.

I can't remember the last time we saw a holdout go through December. Trouba held out 2 or 3 years ago, but I'm pretty he signed in early November.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
When is the deadline to sign him before he can't play this year? It used to be like December 1st.

I can't remember the last time we saw a holdout go through December. Trouba held out 2 or 3 years ago, but I'm pretty he signed in early November.

12/1 is still the deadline to sign. I can't see him sitting out an entire year.
There've been a handful of late holdouts over the last couple of seasons. Theodore held out same year as Trouba, but not as long.
Detroit had a hold out last year, Athansiou, too

If I were a betting woman, I might risk betting that Nylander is playing for a team other than Toronto before Thanksgiving.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
12/1 is still the deadline to sign. I can't see him sitting out an entire year.
There've been a handful of late holdouts over the last couple of seasons. Theodore held out same year as Trouba, but not as long.
Detroit had a hold out last year, Athansiou, too

If I were a betting woman, I might risk betting that Nylander is playing for a team other than Toronto before Thanksgiving.
Now I remember Athanasiou (I probably butchered the spelling of his name too) holding out last year, but I didn't think it was that long. October 21st of last year actually.

I remember when he held out, the talk was that he wasn't coming back for a while, then he seemed to sign out of nowhere just a couple weeks into the season, after it was supposedly not even close.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

You think they are going to trade for a Matthews fill in? That seems like terrible asset management.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
You think they are going to trade for a Matthews fill in? That seems like terrible asset management.

I think the Nylander trade would bring in somebody who can log some minutes while Matthews is out. I meant to say they would be handled with the same trade.

Shanahan had some comments early on about sacrificing pay for the shot to play for a winning team and I think that might have sealed the fate of this negotiation.
A Nylander trade won't make up for the loss of Matthews, but might help in the interim and give them someone solid to complement the bottom 9.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Goals against review for the night. Only two games tonight.

Flames vs Maples Leafs: Andersen allows 2 goals and didn't have a chance on either. Smith allows 1 goal and didn't have a chance on it.

Wild vs Canucks: Dubnyk allows 4 goals and 1 is stoppable. Markstrom allows 2 goals and didn't have a chance on either.

So we had 9 goals scored on goaltenders tonight and just 1 stoppable goal. A very low 11% on the night.

The stoppable goal actually looked very reminiscent of the OT winner Nashville had that beat Kinkaid last week. Suter is screening from very far away and Virtanen unloads a wrist shot that just beats Dubnyk from above the circles. It was probably a 40 footer and the guy providing the screen was just a couple feet away from the shooter. You have to be very liberal with absolving goalies of any blame on the slightest screen to say Dubnyk shouldn't have saw this shot.

Markstrom gets beaten on a screen shot on one of the two goals scored on him, but it's pretty clear there was a maze of players right in front of him.

Reactions: DerekDevils30

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
At what point does Nylander’s negotiation tactic become completely delusional, if it hasn’t already? He’s not worth $8 mil AAV. Barely any wingers in the NHL are. Maybe this is what gets Dubas to fold and/or Nylander to swallow his pride.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
At what point does Nylander’s negotiation tactic become completely delusional, if it hasn’t already? He’s not worth $8 mil AAV. Barely any wingers in the NHL are. Maybe this is what gets Dubas to fold and/or Nylander to swallow his pride.

I haven’t seen... was 8 confirmed as his asking price? I don’t see why Nylander would fold now, seeing as the best player on his team going down for at least a month just gives him more negotiating power.

Reactions: Dialamo

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
I haven’t seen... was 8 confirmed as his asking price? I don’t see why Nylander would fold now, seeing as the best player on his team going down for at least a month just gives him more negotiating power.

Absolutely not, the leafs are still a playoff team without Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad