Out-of-town Scoreboard 2018-19 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Goals against review for tonight, starting with our game.

Devils vs Lightning: Kinkaid allows 7 goals, only 1 is stoppable. Schneider allows 1 goal in relief and had no chance on it. Vasilevskiy allows 3 goals and had no chance on any.

Islanders vs Penguins: 2 goals against Lehner, 1 is stoppable. 1 goal against Greiss in relief and he didn't have a chance on it. Murray allows 4 goals and doesn't have a chance on any of them. DeSmith allows 2 goals in relief and didn't have a chance on either of them.

Flames vs Sabres: Rittich allows 1 goal and it's a stoppable one. 2 goals against Hutton, he didn't have a chance on either.

Red Wings vs Blue Jackets: 3 goals against Korpisalo and 1 stoppable. 1 goal against Bobrovsky in relief and no chance. 3 goals against Howard, 1 is stoppable.

Bruins vs Hurricanes: 2 goals against Halak, 1 is stoppable. Guess who's back for Carolina tonight? New season, same Scott Darling. 3 goals against Darling, ALL 3 ARE STOPPABLE! No kidding. Not even a joke. Still looked like a tub of lard out there.

Stars vs Canadiens: 3 goals against Price, no chance on any of them. 1 goal against Bishop and no chance on it.

Golden Knights vs Predators: 3 goals against Subban and no chance on any of them. 1 goal against Saros and I think it's a stoppable one.

Wild vs Oilers: 3 goals against Stalock, no chance on any of them. 4 goals against Talbot and 1 is stoppable. It was the game winner and it was ugly.

Senators vs Coyotes: 3 goals against Condon and 2 are not just bad but VERY BAD. Goal 2 was hideous, goal 3 was the softy of the year. He might get waived after that poor period. 2 goals against Anderson in relief and 1 is stoppable. 1 goal against Raanta, no chance on it.

Flyers vs Ducks: 3 goals against Miller and he had no chance on any of them. 2 goals against Elliott, 1 is stoppable.

Rangers vs Sharks: 3 goals against Jones, 1 is stoppable and it's a BAD one. 3 goals against Lundqvist and he had no chance on any of them.

I think that's 66 goals scored on goalies tonight, with 16 being stoppable. That's about 24.5% and probably about league average.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Holy f*** was Darling bad.

You can't tell me that ALL 3 of those goals aren't at least kind of stoppable? He's looking like last year's Darling again in his first game of the season.

Goal 1 was a dead angle shot that leaks through Darling and either goes in on the initial try or lays in the crease and is put in.

Goal 2 is a wrist shot from the circle that just goes in right over his glove.

Goal 3 he's pulled out to the side of the net and they come around the back and put it in on a wraparound. Of course he couldn't get over fast enough.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I feel like everyone can agree the Condon goal was as soft as it gets, right?
It's the softy of the year, unless there's another one just like it or someone gives up a goal from the other goal line, like Toskala did a decade ago.

Last year's softy of the year was Darling getting scored on from a center ice lob against the Rangers. Bernier gave up a couple center ice goals in the same year when he was with Toronto.

This one was worse than that and it will likely be the softy of the 2018-2019 season, unless there's another like it.

That goal he allowed right before that was a bad one too. He puts a soft rebound back into play and takes himself way out of position and can't get back in time to the other side of the net. He gets back in time, but it still squeaks through his stick and arm or something.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
There’s a big surprise.

I said last night that poor period might get Condon waived.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
6-1 and 6-3 in Pennsylvania along with winning in Rawly twice so far.

Quite good.
Winning games and playing good hockey are not necessarily synonymous with one another.

Last edited by a moderator:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
To be fair the Isles just winning games in this brutal October schedule while learning the Trotz system worries me a little. Of course they weren't going to play well this month but they're still getting results and might play better when they have a lesser schedule and get more used to the system.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
To be fair the Isles just winning games in this brutal October schedule while learning the Trotz system worries me a little. Of course they weren't going to play well this month but they're still getting results and might play better when they have a lesser schedule and get more used to the system.
I just look at their roster and say ''Yeah, this isn't a playoff team''.

It wouldn't be the worst team to ever make the playoffs, but the roster just screams mediocre to me. Does that mean they have no good players? Certainly not, but I just can't take them seriously as a good team right now. I just can't do it.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I just look at their roster and say ''Yeah, this isn't a playoff team''.

It wouldn't be the worst team to ever make the playoffs, but the roster just screams mediocre to me. Does that mean they have no good players? Certainly not, but I just can't take them seriously as a good team right now. I just can't do it.

Hey I was right with you on them not making the playoffs in the summer, I still think they'll come up short in the end but they'll be in the mix now and you know Lou will make a win-now trade at the deadline if they are in the mix (cue people debating the merits of that, which isn't the point).

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Why is there only one game on tonight? And it's in Canada, no less. Is Halloween a national holiday now?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Hey I was right with you on them not making the playoffs in the summer, I still think they'll come up short in the end but they'll be in the mix now and you know Lou will make a win-now trade at the deadline if they are in the mix (cue people debating the merits of that, which isn't the point).

They have as good as chance as others such as us, Rawly, FLA and a few others.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lol at Condon getting waived. That is rough.
I actually saw that coming, although I'm not sure if I should have. It seems Ottawa wants to be really bad, so they might actually have benefited from playing more Condon.

Condon is another reason I don't trust Kevin Weekes goalie analysis, at least not on the record. Which sucks, because most former goalies seem to generally see eye to eye with me. Kevin Weekes and Kelly Hrudey being the huge exceptions. Weekes was really hyping up Condon a couple years ago on the NHLN and it wasn't when he was a rookie and had that hot first couple months with Montreal when he was supposed to win the Calder, before torpedoing the rest of the season. Weekes and Hrudey are too homeristic towards goalies. I like Brian Boucher the most, even though he wasn't a good goalie in his playing days, he at least will tell you what goals the goalie should have had, when guys like Keith Jones come on the intermission and tell you ''Nothing the goalie could have done on that, he was screened!'' or whatever. I do agree with Valiquette on goalies mostly too, even though I find he's more of a homer for Lundqvist than other goalies.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
They have as good as chance as others such as us, Rawly, FLA and a few others.
I would probably say all those teams are better than the Islanders. Maybe even Florida, although their goalies (Without Luongo) are inferior to Lehner, who I don't think is a bad goalie at all. He's definitely better than at least 6 or 7 starters in the league and probably at least even with about 15 other starters in the league.

Is there any team you definitely think is gonna be bad and has no shot at the playoffs this year? If Detroit beats us, are you gonna think they're a playoff team? That'll be two wins in a row (hypothetically) if that happens.

You were also talking Ottawa and I think they're also gonna run out of air, if they haven't already.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
When you talk about overachieving teams, Vancouver is definitely one of them. I can't see them hanging around for much longer. And they started out last season with a surprisingly hot first month. They also started out the season before that going either 3-0-0 or 4-0-0 with I almost wanna say all of those games being in OT or shootout. They were undefeated to start that year without ever having led in a game at all in those 3 or 4 games.

And for tonight's stoppable goals, first goal on Markstrom was definitely a stoppable one, but what's the surprise? It's Jacob Markstrom and he's a less than mediocre goalie, and less than mediocre goalies allow more goals and more stoppable goals than the better than mediocre and good goalies.

Second goal I would definitely accept that he was screened. Guy was right in front of him on that one. If there isn't either at least one ass in your face or a few feet away from you or a maze of players, I ain't giving you a break for a screen. And definitely not on a 30 or 40 footer where the screen is 25-35 feet out.

Reactions: DerekDevils30

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Vanc's PP goes through Pettersson

With him, Boesser and Horvat they have a lot to look forward to out there

Watched him through two periods. He has that ability to know where the open ice is and he always makes the correct pass and it is jsst the right speed on the pass. Hard to teach that vision and touch. He isn’t fast but moves his feet well and has a long reach. He looks like he weighs all of 160 pounds But it doesn’t seem to matter. Very impressive player. He’ll get a good number of assists as the team around him gets better.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I would probably say all those teams are better than the Islanders. Maybe even Florida, although their goalies (Without Luongo) are inferior to Lehner, who I don't think is a bad goalie at all. He's definitely better than at least 6 or 7 starters in the league and probably at least even with about 15 other starters in the league.

Is there any team you definitely think is gonna be bad and has no shot at the playoffs this year? If Detroit beats us, are you gonna think they're a playoff team? That'll be two wins in a row (hypothetically) if that happens.

You were also talking Ottawa and I think they're also gonna run out of air, if they haven't already.

I am not convinced Florida is better. Especially without Luongo.

Carolina I can buy as better at the moment.

Isles roster simply is not very good. Barring luck there isn’t enough there to make any kind of serious run. The absolute best they could do is a Florida run like last year where they feast on cupcakes but still fall short.

9 Times out of 10 you need horses to finish a run to the playoffs, and they don’t have that outside of Barzal.

Ottawa falls into the same category along with Vanc. These teams are not currently built for success.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I am not convinced Florida is better. Especially without Luongo.

Carolina I can buy as better at the moment.

Isles roster simply is not very good. Barring luck there isn’t enough there to make any kind of serious run. The absolute best they could do is a Florida run like last year where they feast on cupcakes but still fall short.

9 Times out of 10 you need horses to finish a run to the playoffs, and they don’t have that outside of Barzal.

Ottawa falls into the same category along with Vanc. These teams are not currently built for success.
I'll give you Florida, as you KNOW I'm not high on them at all. I think they've got a few more offensive weapons than the Islanders, but I don't like much more about them than I do the Islanders. Lehner is better than non-Luongo goalies on Florida and Greiss is about even with James Reimer to me.

I've always liked the Lehner signing for them and thought Carolina should have went with him instead of Mrazek. I have no idea why a team with poor goaltending and a history of having poor goalies the last several years would go with Mrazek instead of Lehner. Mrazek was signed first. I think Lehner is actually pretty underrated.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Tonight's goals against review from the one measly game we got.

Blackhawks vs Canucks: Markstrom allows 2 goals, 1 is stoppable. Crawford allows 3 goals and didn't really have a chance on any.

First goal on Markstrom is on a breakaway and Markstrom gets almost all of this puck in his pads, then he somehow loses it and falls down and it goes over the goal line. Second goal on Markstrom is definitely one where a screen is excusable for me.

Now I know someone might ask me, why wasn't Crawford dinged for being beaten glove side high on goal 1 against? This was on a breakaway and the shot was unloaded at way too close of a range for me to nail him on this one. This thing is going past him before he can even move his glove. He's only stopping this one if he can get a little lucky or anticipate this perfectly.

Goal 2 on him was close to stoppable, but I tend to be more forgiving of a goalie that's beaten stick side high than glove side high.

Goal 3 on Crawford may have went off his glove, I can only see one angle, but this looked to be one timed and from very close range. I can't in good conscience nail him on this one. Goal 2 was probably the closest to stoppable that he allowed tonight.

I think Crawford might actually still be at 0 stoppable goals against on the season for me. I'd have to go back and look. He did allow 6 the other night to St. Louis. I thought Allen looked worse on the eye test in that game.

Reactions: DerekDevils30

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm gonna have trouble sleeping tonight, I already don't feel tired, despite work in the morning. What I'm gonna do right now is look up every goalie that's played at all in the league this year. I'm gonna find that list, then I'm gonna try to go back in my reviews and count how many stoppable goals they've allowed so far. This should be fun. I should have been doing this from the beginning of this all, which I believe @Ripshot 43 recommended in the first place.

This should be real fun, there's already 66 goalies that have played at least 1 game this year. I may not be able to finish this project tonight, but I'll do what I can. I'm gonna open a file on my device and store the in there and update nightly. Then I'll tally the results up at the very end of the year.

Reactions: Ripshot 43
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad