Out of Town Round 1 Playoff Thread

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I mentioned it a few days ago, but there have been some elite guys that have missed full seasons and they still end up elite when they come back in the playoffs. I still think the situation is BS and pretty clear circumvention. But nothing will be done about it. The fact that a person or two argued he would come back and fitting him in would be detrimental is laughable.

I don't mind the concept of LTIR in general. There are times where you have guys that are legitimately injured and can't ever play again. There are times where you have guys who get hurt in season and won't be back or may take a while to get back. I can see not wanting to punish those teams.

Teams, and it's not just Tampa, clearly don't use it to that spirit. Hell, Tampa also actively went out and acquired a bunch of guys on LTIR to help make things work. And while things like that aren't breaking the rules, they sure as hell are against the spirit of it. I think the Kucherov thing is closer to breaking them, though still probably only bending them, because I think it's a joke to think his exact ready to go date was day 1 of the playoffs. It's also pretty questionable to wait as late as they did to get the surgery done in the first place. Legit injury and surgery, but sketch AF all around to give themselves a better chance to win.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I mentioned it a few days ago, but there have been some elite guys that have missed full seasons and they still end up elite when they come back in the playoffs. I still think the situation is BS and pretty clear circumvention. But nothing will be done about it. The fact that a person or two argued he would come back and fitting him in would be detrimental is laughable.

I don't mind the concept of LTIR in general. There are times where you have guys that are legitimately injured and can't ever play again. There are times where you have guys who get hurt in season and won't be back or may take a while to get back. I can see not wanting to punish those teams.

Teams, and it's not just Tampa, clearly don't use it to that spirit. Hell, Tampa also actively went out and acquired a bunch of guys on LTIR to help make things work. And while things like that aren't breaking the rules, they sure as hell are against the spirit of it. I think the Kucherov thing is closer to breaking them, though still probably only bending them, because I think it's a joke to think his exact ready to go date was day 1 of the playoffs. It's also pretty questionable to wait as late as they did to get the surgery done in the first place. Legit injury and surgery, but sketch AF all around to give themselves a better chance to win.

It's BS but within the rules as they stand. It's a loophole the league should fix. Tampa is essentially playing these playoffs with $10M more talent than the cap allows. Simple fix -- LTIR means you're out for the entire season, playoffs included.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
It's BS but within the rules as they stand. It's a loophole the league should fix. Tampa is essentially playing these playoffs with $10M more talent than the cap allows. Simple fix -- LTIR means you're out for the entire season, playoffs included.
I would still maintain that the part where he was likely ready before game 1 of the playoffs but held out would be against the rules. But they don't have the balls to go after Tampa to prove it. But regardless, you are correct that they should just work to remove this type of advantage in the future in some way. I'm not going to pretend I have the best answer, but they should be able to find something to make it better.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
I would still maintain that the part where he was likely ready before game 1 of the playoffs but held out would be against the rules. But they don't have the balls to go after Tampa to prove it. But regardless, you are correct that they should just work to remove this type of advantage in the future in some way. I'm not going to pretend I have the best answer, but they should be able to find something to make it better.

I dont blame Tampa 1 bit, I also don't see it as bending the rules. Its more gaming the system. We did it to shuffling around lower level guys back and forth to the taxi squad in order to have money to bring in both Hanky and CedP. The people who put together those rules weren't smart enough to out smart NHL teams capologists. They should definitely fix it but Tampa didn't cheat or do anything wrong at all

Reactions: DaveG and Tryamw

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I dont blame Tampa 1 bit, I also don't see it as bending the rules. Its more gaming the system. We did it to shuffling around lower level guys back and forth to the taxi squad in order to have money to bring in both Hanky and CedP. The people who put together those rules weren't smart enough to out smart NHL teams capologists. They should definitely fix it but Tampa didn't cheat or do anything wrong at all

My biggest issue is that they almost certainly knew he needed surgery well before he actually had the surgery... He suffered the injury against Columbus in the bubble, didn't have surgery until late December -- timed it specifically so he'd be back for the playoffs without needing to be activated in the regular season, thus keeping them under the cap. It was a hip injury, it either needed surgery or it didn't, they can explain away all they want that they tried rehab and whatever first, but that's a load of crap. There are some really borderline things they did, and as Azor mentioned above, he likely was sitting on LTIR while healthy enough to play late in the year there which is against the rules. No way to prove it but the perfect timing for them is just way too convenient for it to be a coincidence. It's dirty, even if not technically against the rules.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
My biggest issue is that they almost certainly knew he needed surgery well before he actually had the surgery... He suffered the injury against Columbus in the bubble, didn't have surgery until late December -- timed it specifically so he'd be back for the playoffs without needing to be activated in the regular season, thus keeping them under the cap. It was a hip injury, it either needed surgery or it didn't, they can explain away all they want that they tried rehab and whatever first, but that's a load of crap. There are some really borderline things they did, and as Azor mentioned above, he likely was sitting on LTIR while healthy enough to play late in the year there which is against the rules. No way to prove it but the perfect timing for them is just way too convenient for it to be a coincidence. It's dirty, even if not technically against the rules.

Like I said it needs to be fixed but none of it was wrong if it was within the rules and it was. Many teams in the league would have done the exact same thing if given the chance. Honestly think thr Canes would have been one of those teams the say they used IR and taxi squad to give themselves more cap room.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Like I said it needs to be fixed but none of it was wrong if it was within the rules and it was. Many teams in the league would have done the exact same thing if given the chance. Honestly think thr Canes would have been one of those teams the say they used IR and taxi squad to give themselves more cap room.

For players on LTIR: "When a player is deemed fit to play, the team must activate them."

He was definitely fit to play late in the regular season. So what they did was against the rules. Just no way for the NHL to prove that.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
It is mighty convenient timing, it's definitely gaming the system. I guess they could make the argument of "Yea, but we had to play without our star player all season"...so it's essentially like they traded for him on day 1 of the playoffs? I think the only way to "fix" that bit of manipulation is either: 1) LTIR players must be reactivated by TDL or they don't get to play in the playoffs (they can still game the system, but not nearly as much), OR 2) Have an "active cap" where the AAV of everyone active on a particular day can't exceed the cap. #2 would perhaps screw too much with getting pro-rated stars at TDL but maybe it's a fair exchange that if you add a star player up top, you'll have to downgrade depth somewhere to make up for it? It would mean your team has to be much closer to what it was during the season, no squeaking into the playoffs, buying a new team at TDL, and powering into the playoffs.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I think it goes 7. Get Bob the hell out of there and stop taking dumb f*** penalties.

Bob looked fine at 5v5. Their PK is going to cost them if they keep giving Tampa the man advantage, though.

Seems like this also brings us back to the debate over the pluses and minuses of being physical. Florida outhit TB 54 to 36 last night, a significant difference. But seems like it can be sometimes hard to walk the fine line between being extremely physical and taking penalties. I'm sure there's a sweet spot, but miss too much in either direction and . . .

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
It is mighty convenient timing, it's definitely gaming the system. I guess they could make the argument of "Yea, but we had to play without our star player all season"...so it's essentially like they traded for him on day 1 of the playoffs? I think the only way to "fix" that bit of manipulation is either: 1) LTIR players must be reactivated by TDL or they don't get to play in the playoffs (they can still game the system, but not nearly as much), OR 2) Have an "active cap" where the AAV of everyone active on a particular day can't exceed the cap. #2 would perhaps screw too much with getting pro-rated stars at TDL but maybe it's a fair exchange that if you add a star player up top, you'll have to downgrade depth somewhere to make up for it? It would mean your team has to be much closer to what it was during the season, no squeaking into the playoffs, buying a new team at TDL, and powering into the playoffs.

Posted in the main board thread but one possible solution would be that in order to be eligible for the playoffs (outside of black aces) a player must play in at least one (maybe more) regular seasons games. That forces Tampa to activate him and risk losing players to waivers when they try and send people down to clear the cap space. Or they have to play short handed like Vegas did.

Not sure this would pass both parties (PA and GMs) since I'm sure the GMs on the whole like having this option available if need be since it's a fairly rare occurence.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Seems like this also brings us back to the debate over the pluses and minuses of being physical. Florida outhit TB 54 to 36 last night, a significant difference. But seems like it can be sometimes hard to walk the fine line between being extremely physical and taking penalties. I'm sure there's a sweet spot, but miss too much in either direction and . . .

7 Game Series often favors the physical team, particularly later in playoffs.

Of course, dumb penalties are game killers...

Reactions: DaveG

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
If the Canes fail to get past Tampa, I wouldn't use this situation as an excuse. Tampa is no more a superteam now than if Kucherov had not been placed on LTIR. It's being used in two ways: (1) It delayed a Tyler Johnson trade, only potentially lowering the cost to move his contract. Johnson did not have a good season and played just 7:31 last night (Link). Not much value added there. (2) It freed up space to go mid-term with Cirelli, Sergachev and Cernak. Combined, the three made $6.275 mil in pre-escrow salary on $12.55 mil in cap, per CapFriendly. The benefit will be realized 2 years from now when they're making $18.825 mil on that same cap number. Tampa is effectively pre-paying those savings. The Bolts could have made the cap work in the alternative with shorter-term deals.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Johnson did not have a good season.
What if Tyler Johnson lit up the NHL this season, and continued to do so in the playoffs...does that make the violation worthy of punishment?

Are we advocating for varying consequences of a hit depending on whether an injury occurred? I assume you're connecting the dots on the analogy...

Reactions: A Star is Burns

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad