Out of Town Round 1 Playoff Thread

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
They are within the rules I'd just like the rules changed..

Nah. I don't want it changed. What if a guy like Aho is out for the year in some theoretical and the Canes managed to squeak in by the skin of their teeth into the playoffs? Most of the folks screaming that Tampa is "cap circumventing" are doing so because 90% of teams don't have the kind of depth to withstand a devastating loss like that. I think it's completely fair to have players back in the postseason without it impacting the cap.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I don't know why the NHL doesn't market the playoffs better. This game is must-see TV for anyone who is at least curious about the game.
Meh, just like any other sport other than maybe the NFL, all the casuals won't ever really care unless it's a big market team and all the DieHard™ fans know what's up.

Reactions: AD Skinner

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI
The only sport where any sports fan can tune into is the NFL. It's hard to change that mentality unless they market McDavid like they should be doing....

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
The only sport where any sports fan can tune into is the NFL. It's hard to change that mentality unless they market McDavid like they should be doing....

It doesn't help marketing matters that McDavid is more of a donkey mule than a captain. Him and Draisaitl have to essentially carry an entire roster to the playoffs because the Oilers' FO were completely incompetent at developing anyone that wasn't a 1st round talent. If they had an elite team constructed around them like what Pittsburgh, Tampa, Carolina, Colorado, and Washington have put together, then it's a much easier job for the league.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Hey they developed... looks at roster... Jujhar Khaira, I guess?

The only non-first round guy developed by the Oilers in recent years that have become key pieces for anyone is Jeff Petry and Ethan Bear, and Petry didn't truly become Jeff Petry until he was dealt to Montreal for scraps. It's a barren wasteland of development other than that.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Tampa didn’t get away with cap circumventing by finding an ultra conservative doctor to say he needed extended rest that just happen to last until the regular season was over? Yea ok.

i mean I guess it would be true if he wasn’t practicing with the team during the season. Oh wait

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa didn’t get away with cap circumventing by finding an ultra conservative doctor to say he needed extended rest that just happen to last until the regular season was over? Yea ok.

I flat out could not care less about cap circumvention, mainly because I think the flat cap is a stupid and unfortunate situation to start out with. On top of that, though, the NHL is a really good league with high parity. If postseason teams can't handle one player coming back, that's on them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad