Out of Town Round 1 Playoff Thread

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
Mmm... first two games are on CNBC, home of so many classic shows.

Carolina is the #1 seed in the Central, but NBC always treated us like we're ratings poison. Good thing it's the last time we gotta deal with NBC. Here's to hoping ESPN doesn't think we're so bad.

If a playoff game is played but no one outside of nashville and Carolina watches it, does it really count? :sarcasm:

They've scheduled us like they're literally trying to hide the game. Although to be fair, a "on paper lopsided" game between us and the Preds probably isn't a huge draw. :: shrug ::

Reactions: DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I flat out could not care less about cap circumvention, mainly because I think the flat cap is a stupid and unfortunate situation to start out with. On top of that, though, the NHL is a really good league with high parity. If postseason teams can't handle one player coming back, that's on them.
One player. I guess we’ve just relegated one of the best players in the league to just one player.

the difference in any team with and without Kucherov is a big deal. The guy only has 2 goals and an assist.

without the flat cap, the NHL would turn into the mlb. No real parity and the the top 5 spending teams win 8 of the last 10 championships.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
This TB/FLA game is nuts. I can only hope they wear each other out, because if we have to deal with either of these two playing like THIS in the second round? I don’t like our chances.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Wayyyyy over commitment by Bob there.... Especially on the PK where passing is free real estate.
I kind of get his though process though. "I'm getting across early this time, no way I'm letting this f*** beat me again."

Then Kucherov is all like:

ross.jpg

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
One player. I guess we’ve just relegated one of the best players in the league to just one player.

the difference in any team with and without Kucherov is a big deal. The guy only has 2 goals and an assist.

without the flat cap, the NHL would turn into the mlb. No real parity and the the top 5 spending teams win 8 of the last 10 championships.

There is an impact from getting a guy of his caliber back, sure, I agree. The thing with the NHL, however, is that one superstar cannot impact the game to the same extent of a game like basketball, where the superstar is one of only 5 guys on a team and plays for nearly the entire game. You can beat a superstar-heavy squad with depth in a way that you can't in the NBA. That's why I'm kind of indifferent about the whole Kucherov situation. Not only is it because Tampa isn't some unbeatable monster, but also it's a voice of confidence for my own team that we're an even match for them no matter what because we're so deep.

Last edited:

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
There is an impact from getting a guy of his caliber back, sure, I agree. The thing with the NHL, however, is that one superstar cannot impact the game to the same extent of a game like basketball, where the superstar is one of only 5 guys on a team and plays for nearly the entire game. You can beat a superstar-heavy squad with depth in a way that you can't in the NBA. That's why I'm kind of indifferent about the whole Kucherov situation. Not only is it because Tampa isn't some unbeatable monster, but also it's a voice of confidence for my own team that we're an even match for them no matter what.
Take away the flat cap and teams with superstars will have depth too. That is exactly what TB has since they got to keep their depth and their superstars too.
Unbeatable, no. Even super star teams are beatable. TB with Kucherov got tougher to beat.

Reactions: DaveG

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Take away the flat cap and teams with superstars will have depth too. That is exactly what TB has since they got to keep their depth and their superstars too.
Unbeatable, no. Even super star teams are beatable. TB with Kucherov got tougher to beat.

They didn't keep their superstars, though, for the entire regular season. They got by because of their depth, but were still forced into a brutal 1st round matchup vs. an emergent Florida team because they weren't as good as they usually were. Sometimes we need to let freak occurrences be freak occurrences, deal with them, and stop whining about them being "unfaiw!" like we're some kind of inferior team, because who knows, maybe the Canes will also have to deal with one of our own superstars being out for the year and have to plan their roster accordingly. If Tampa had done this multiple times in the past, then I get why it would garner suspicion. This was the first and (so far) only time that it has happened, however. I'm pretty sure that there will be more traditional salary dumps this coming offseason from Tampa, particularly with Seattle entering the league. Their FO has basically played fair during their tenure. They dealt JT Miller, a really good player that was PPG with Vancouver, the year before their cup win because of the cap. They still won because they (once again) scouted brilliantly with finding Verhaeghe in their farm and paid steep (but ultimately fair) prices to acquire Coleman and Goodrow's bargain contracts.

Last edited:

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
They didn't keep their superstars, though, for the entire regular season. They got by because of their depth, but were still forced into a brutal 1st round matchup vs. an emergent Florida team because they weren't as good as they usually were. Sometimes we need to let freak occurrences be freak occurrences, deal with them, and stop whining about them being "unfaiw!" like we're some kind of inferior team, because who knows, maybe the Canes will also have to deal with one of our own superstars being out for the year and have to plan their roster accordingly. If Tampa had done this multiple times in the past, then I get why it would garner suspicion. This was the first and (so far) only time that it has happened, however. I'm pretty sure that there will be more traditional salary dumps this coming offseason from Tampa, particularly with Seattle entering the league. Their FO has basically played fair during their tenure. They dealt JT Miller, a really good player that was PPG with Vancouver, the year before their cup win because of the cap. They still won because they (once again) scouted brilliantly with finding Verhaeghe in their farm and paid steep (but ultimately fair) prices to acquire Coleman and Goodrow's bargain contracts.
Great argument for circumventing the rules. We weren’t as good in the regular season because we held our superstar out so that he could return and score 3 points in a playoff game against a team that played the cap legitimately. Or even better let’s call it a freak occurrence because they have paid dearly in other deals and scouted well in the past. Sensical. Its cool to bend the rules and give ourselves a competitive advantage in the playoffs because our GM/scouts did their jobs in past well. If you say anything you’re just whining. Cool story.

Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->