Speculation: Our Next Head Coach II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Hynes was great working with young guys in WBS. Hiring him would mean they think he would be great working with all the youth coming through here the next few years

I dont think Shero or Lou care about what the regular joe schmo fans think.

I think many people are going to be upset with how the youth is handled in the next few years. Cooper gets a lot of the same flack that Deboer did even though under his watch Johnson, Palat and Kucherov have flourished. And people are criticizing him because Jonathan Drouin is on the bench.

The same thing will happen here except we won't be winning and when the fans start calling for Hynes' head, ownership might push to have Shero find someone new. It'll be more of a PR move than anything.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I think many people are going to be upset with how the youth is handled in the next few years. Cooper gets a lot of the same flack that Deboer did even though under his watch Johnson, Palat and Kucherov have flourished. And people are criticizing him because Jonathan Drouin is on the bench.

The same thing will happen here except we won't be winning and when the fans start calling for Hynes' head, ownership might push to have Shero find someone new. It'll be more of a PR move than anything.

I mean, hey, if you want to speculate THAT much, go right ahead. When has this organization ever cared what the fans think? honestly now.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
My only problem with hiring Hynes is that the Devils likely aren't going to have a roster that is ready to compete for a few years. The fan base will get impatient and Hynes will be the scapegoat.

I disagree, I think a young guy like him is perfect for a rebuilding team. You start building a young core and he's pretty much there from the beginning. He will grow with the team in a sense. The fanbase will only be impatient if you see guys like Zubrus getting minutes, get some young offensive talent in and we'll have something to be excited about. In today's NHL you pretty much have to really suck at some point to become a cup contender. Your logic would be more valid if we hired Babcock and the fanbase expected him to be a miracle worker.

Rebel Devil

Mar 16, 2014
No, I don't think Hynes will be the scapegoat .. the scapegoat is Lou. He built an old roster filled with no-talent bums.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
When we hire retreads we complain about being unimaginative. When we hire inexperienced guys we complain they'll just be scapegoats.

I am going to miss the days of Devils Twitter breaking surprise news though lol

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Penguins fan here. Hynes is a fantastic coach, he just lacks NHL experience (either as a player or behind the bench in any capacity). He's probably the second best coach in the AHL behind Blashill. There were times his roster has been decimated by injuries & callups and they still won games. He's good with young players too, and not afraid to be tough on them.

I've been somewhat hoping a good team hires him as an assistant so he gains experience and the Pens can poach him in a couple years and hire him as their head coach.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
When we hire retreads we complain about being unimaginative. When we hire inexperienced guys we complain they'll just be scapegoats.

I am going to miss the days of Devils Twitter breaking surprise news though lol

im ok with the inexperienced guys... we are 4-5 forwards away from being a legit team with deep playoff run aspirations, whether that comes through development of current minor league players or some free agent pick ups.

our goaltending and defense is on track, from a depth perspective,
we have

lets look at our holes up front:

cammarari/hole/henrique
hole/zajac/hole
elias/josefson/hole
bernier/gionta/tootoo..

that is my take on what this team needs to find/develop... its possible I'm missing somebody? so this next season should not be looked at as a playoff year if they are serious about re-building in fact another top pick would be instrumental for our future.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
No, I don't think Hynes will be the scapegoat .. the scapegoat is Lou. He built an old roster filled with no-talent bums.

The one main thing I can fault Lou for is his inability to get assets for pending UFAs -- Fayne, Martin, Clarkson, Parise, and Gionta being the notable ones. However, of that group, it makes sense he held onto everyone except for Clarkson and Fayne.

That being said, Lou could not have predicted losing Parise and Kovalchuk in back-to-back seasons. That combined with the scouting/drafting in the mid-2000s is what sunk this team. I don't place any of the blame on Lou. I place blame on the scouting staff more than anything.

What Lou tried to do these last few years is desperately hide the fact that this team has no offensive youth whatsoever by adding filler UFAs or dipping into the bargain bin via trade (Sullivan, D'Agostini). He never jeopardized high picks during this time and he never dealt away youth for NHL talent. He managed to get a very strong goaltending tandem and build up a young defense that looks to be one of the best in the league. Now he finally stabilized our forward prospect group into something respectable but lacking in top end talent.

This is far from Lou's fault.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Can we really afford to give up a draft pick? Pittsburgh fans are saying a third. If Shero hires Hynes, he better be a God like coach. Not happy about coughing up a pick.

DeVols

#VFL
Jan 31, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Can we really afford to give up a draft pick? Pittsburgh fans are saying a third. If Shero hires Hynes, he better be a God like coach. Not happy about coughing up a pick.

As ZBC said, you don't let a third round draft pick make or break your decision on a coach. If he's the guy you want, you give up the third round pick without hesitation.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Yeah, a single 3rd rounder isn't a big deal. You probably wouldn't find a player better than Kalinin, for instance, at that pick anyway.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Do we expect third round picks to be god like players? Any player we pick there is as much a question mark as an unproven coach.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

As a Pens fan...he'd easily be worth a 3rd. Hynes would have been the #1 candidate to replace Dan Bylsma if not for his connection to Bylsma and the desire to go outside the organization for the job.

Hynes has had success everywhere he's gone, even with the stink of Bylsma's influence I think he's one of the best young coaching candidates out there. Prior to WBS he was coaching the USMNTDP.

And here's a Tweet that should make you guys pretty happy...

Hynes is the kind of guy the compensation is supposed to be for...it's going to be a big loss for the Penguins.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Count me in the camp that does not want to relinquish a draft pick for a coach.

However, I will put my trust in to Shero and Lou if they feel so strongly about Hynes.

Bps21*

At least you'd be giving your 3rd for someone they actually employ...

GhostofKenKlee

Devils should be getting something for DeBoer, riiiight....

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
At least you'd be giving your 3rd for someone they actually employ...

Yes we understand that this us the kind of situation the rule was made for and completely understand the pens asking for the pick. There just seems to be a difference of opinion on whether or not it's worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino