Ottawa U18 Part 4

No Skin in the Game

Sep 15, 2015
Kemptville 73's CCHL up for sale? Next owner is (my pick) Tallman.[/QUOTE said:
I thought maybe Jason York, his kid is on that team too...

Too bad about the playoff format, I much prefer a first vs eighth best of 3 or 5 type series.

HockeyVolunteer

Jan 8, 2016
Too bad about the playoff format, I much prefer a first vs eighth best of 3 or 5 type series.

I agree they need to change the playoff format if they want to improve the image of the organization. The issue, I believe, is that 1v8, 2v7 etc as Qtrs, then Semis then finals, ends up dragging on and put the overall winning team out of the running for the Telus Cup.

Just my thoughts

Last edited:

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
I thought maybe Jason York, his kid is on that team too...

Rumour was he bought it last summer but I guess it didn't happen.

Format will probably change for next year because some of the teams that got eliminated will complain and it doesn't look good for league having some of the top prospects out of semis.

40+ game season is enough to justify taking top 8 teams for playoffs only. Maybe season would be more competitive as well if teams know they aren't guaranteed a playoff spot.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
U 18 play-offs

Congratulations to the two teams in the finals.

Work hard, play hard, focus on your next shift not the outcome. Listen to your coach. Trust your teammates. You two teams proved that hard work and team play will beat talent when talent does not work.
Somebody will win, somebody will come in second.
Great year for these two teams kids/players.

Last edited:

TerryN

May 17, 2016
Congratulations to the two teams in the finals.

Work hard, play hard, focus on your next shift not the outcome. Listen to your coach. Trust your teammates. You two teams proved that hard work and team play will beat talent when talent does not work.
Somebody will win, somebody will come in second.
Great year for these two teams kids/players.

It was a lot of hockey in a short time but we are proud how the entire team stepped up and played hard. Each player found a way to contribute and make a difference. It should be a very competitive series vs Cornwall.

Terry Nichols

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
HEO at the OHL Cup

The players from HEO were at a major disadvantage because of the U 18 league they play in. HEO had to play 3 games in less than 24 hours (no favors from the GTHL) at a pace of play and an intensity level our players have not seen this year. The players were exhausted from trying so hard to elevate their game. The kids/players played as hard as they could. Some players will move up in the OHL draft because of their performance and others will drop because of performance and other issues.
Over all I think the players and parents should be proud of the HEO team performance at such an elite tournament.
The president of HEO was at the OHL Cup maybe he will come home and reflect on what could be done on his area to improve hockey above the Bantam AAA level. I can always hope.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
The players from HEO were at a major disadvantage because of the U 18 league they play in. HEO had to play 3 games in less than 24 hours (no favors from the GTHL) at a pace of play and an intensity level our players have not seen this year. The players were exhausted from trying so hard to elevate their game. The kids/players played as hard as they could. Some players will move up in the OHL draft because of their performance and others will drop because of performance and other issues.
Over all I think the players and parents should be proud of the HEO team performance at such an elite tournament.
The president of HEO was at the OHL Cup maybe he will come home and reflect on what could be done on his area to improve hockey above the Bantam AAA level. I can always hope.

Did you get to see much of Jordan Power for the Young Nationals ? He is an Ottawa kid who left to play Minor Midget in Toronto because of U18.

Bossman

Oct 1, 2015

I was at the tournament. I wasn't that impressed with the group from HEO. I don't like the U18 league but even with the old format i don't see things with the 2001 group being much better.

If they are continuing with U18 next year i think the league needs to make some changes that are in the best interest of the players and not the owners.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Did you get to see much of Jordan Power for the Young Nationals ? He is an Ottawa kid who left to play Minor Midget in Toronto because of U18.

I have seen Young Nat's play 6 times this year.
The move was good for Jordan. He will get picked. He would have been picked anyway. He might go higher now, not because of the move but because the Nat's made the final.

Last edited:

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
Just noticed admission to OHL Cup final is free. Will the HEO u18AAA finals be free? If so, then maybe I will take a drive to watch hopefully some good hockey.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Just noticed admission to OHL Cup final is free. Will the HEO u18AAA finals be free? If so, then maybe I will take a drive to watch hopefully some good hockey.

The whole OHL Cup is free entry.
I wonder why any youth organization would charge to get into a tournament or games?
Is there anything to be learned from this?

Last edited:

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
The whole OHL Cup is free entry.
I wonder why any youth organization would charge to get into a tournament or games?
Is there anything to be learned from this?

It's been a long time for me, but last time I went to a GTHL league game it was not free. I recall it being over $10.

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
Congratulations to the Cornwall Colts u18AAA team for winning the HEO Championship and good luck in Sudbury. They may not be a flashy team but remind me more of the old New Jersey Devils teams where they minimized opponents on quality chances and took advantages of mistakes make by the other team.
Kemptville 73s u18AAA team should be proud as well since both games went right to final seconds.

Whatever anyone thinks of this league, the players and coaching staff on both teams gave it all they had. Two unexpected teams in this championship and same in OHL Cup.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
2017 OHL Draft

The OHL draft is April 8th.

How many U 18 players get drafted in rounds 1 to 5 (so top 100 players)?
How many U 18 players total?

Then the OHL has a U18 draft April 12th.
How many U 18 players get drafted?

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
The OHL draft is April 8th.

How many U 18 players get drafted in rounds 1 to 5 (so top 100 players)?
How many U 18 players total?

Then the OHL has a U18 draft April 12th.
How many U 18 players get drafted?

My guess would be 6 or 7 max in top 100 but probably closer to 4 or 5. Not sure OHL Cup appearance will be enough to bump up the numbers. Total 2001s drafted I would guess 15.

U18 draft, I have no clue. There are some good 2000 players in league but why weren't they drafted last year in late rounds?

TheLastShift

Canada
Nov 14, 2007
My guess would be 6 or 7 max in top 100 but probably closer to 4 or 5. Not sure OHL Cup appearance will be enough to bump up the numbers. Total 2001s drafted I would guess 15.

U18 draft, I have no clue. There are some good 2000 players in league but why weren't they drafted last year in late rounds?

Why don't a lot of players get drafted in their Minor Midget year? Jared Steege was passed over, got drafted at 17, now he's about to take part in his 4th OHL playoffs. Oliver Castleman.... Cole Carter... those are three guys right there that were passed over but were taken the following season. Oh and how about guys like Claude Giroux.... Paul Byron.... they were passed over completely and chose the QMJHL instead.

If you get selected then you get selected, if you don't then you don't. The hard part isn't whether or not you are selected, it's the work you put in after the fact to get to the highest level you are capable of. Development path is different for every player. It always helps if you are north of 6-0 and 200lbs, especially with the OHL. Easy for scouts to see size and strength, it's the intangibles such as skill and hockey sense I think they miss more often then none, at least on the first go around.

Long story short, if you get drafted nicely done, next step, work your butt off. If you don't get drafted, it happens, next step, work your butt off.

Using the OHL Draft to fully measure our hockey talent in Ottawa isn't the right way to look at it, it's obviously part of it without a doubt, but it shouldn't be used like a make or break like it is, that is a ton of pressure for a 15-year old kid.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015

If this is true and you are very close to what I would have said.

15 total would be the lowest number of players drafted from HEO/ODHA area in many years.

There could be any as 12 to 15 Midgets drafted from the U 18 league.

Do still think this league is good for our area 15 year olds? I do not.

Last edited:

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Why don't a lot of players get drafted in their Minor Midget year? Jared Steege was passed over, got drafted at 17, now he's about to take part in his 4th OHL playoffs. Oliver Castleman.... Cole Carter... those are three guys right there that were passed over but were taken the following season. Oh and how about guys like Claude Giroux.... Paul Byron.... they were passed over completely and chose the QMJHL instead.

If you get selected then you get selected, if you don't then you don't. The hard part isn't whether or not you are selected, it's the work you put in after the fact to get to the highest level you are capable of. Development path is different for every player. It always helps if you are north of 6-0 and 200lbs, especially with the OHL. Easy for scouts to see size and strength, it's the intangibles such as skill and hockey sense I think they miss more often then none, at least on the first go around.

Long story short, if you get drafted nicely done, next step, work your butt off. If you don't get drafted, it happens, next step, work your butt off.

Using the OHL Draft to fully measure our hockey talent in Ottawa isn't the right way to look at it, it's obviously part of it without a doubt, but it shouldn't be used like a make or break like it is, that is a ton of pressure for a 15-year old kid.

A lot of what you have above is very true but I would say the OHL draft is the first measuring stick. It is just the beginning not the end as some think.
Just so you know the percentage of HEO area OHL drafted players that make the OHL and play games is higher than that of HEO area players drafted in the CCHL bantam draft.
The OHL draft is changing there are more small players taken every year and that number will grow this year. The game has changed.
The two players you talk about above were both gifted but very small at 15 they needed time to grow and develop and at that time the OHL was a big mans game. (Holding and hooking were tolerated ie not called as much.)
It worked out for both those players, they were both asked to play OHL the next year but declined because they had a contract with Hull/Charlie Henry.
They also took your advise and worked their tail off to prove the OHL made a mistake. Good for them.

Last edited:

No Skin in the Game

Sep 15, 2015

Wouldn't the better test be how many PLAY as regulars in the OHL, and during what year of their eligibility? i.e 1st year of eligibility 17 drafted and 4 played a full season, 2 played half a season etc. As much as being drafted is exciting and is a badge of honour it means nothing if you never set foot on the ice...

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
If this is true and you are very close to what I would have said.

15 total would be the lowest number of players drafted from HEO/ODHA area in many years.

There could be any as 12 to 15 Midgets drafted from the U 18 league.

Do still think this league is good for our area 15 year olds? I do not.

Yes but is that not that primarily due to the number of players who bolted for the 'greener pastures' of the G? How many former HEO 01's are down there and will be drafted next month...

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Yes but is that not that primarily due to the number of players who bolted for the 'greener pastures' of the G? How many former HEO 01's are down there and will be drafted next month...

6 left that I know of and only 3 are assured of getting drafted.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014

on topic of OC. He's had a damn good rookie season in Niagra. Curious to see if he gets a late round look in the June draft . He'll be absolutely youngest player with that Sept 15 DOB and definitely some upside there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad