Ottawa U18 Part 4

DeepThoughts

Nov 6, 2016
One of the drivers of this league is the relationship with the Sensplex organization. That ice would otherwise be empty on all those long weekends and March break. So, I would guess that you will be playing over March break because it's too much money left on the table if you don't.

Couldn't agree more with the post above. Take a look at the schedule for Sunday Feb 5th. Super Bowl Sunday - OJS vs Gloucester 7pm, on Potvin Ice Pad. Bad date, bad time, bad pad, 3 strikes. but I guess it was cheap ice, and heavily scouted - LOL!

HockeyVolunteer

Jan 8, 2016
One of the drivers of this league is the relationship with the Sensplex organization. That ice would otherwise be empty on all those long weekends and March break. So, I would guess that you will be playing over March break because it's too much money left on the table if you don't.

Couldn't agree more with the post above. Take a look at the schedule for Sunday Feb 5th. Super Bowl Sunday - OJS vs Gloucester 7pm, on Potvin Ice Pad. Bad date, bad time, bad pad, 3 strikes. but I guess it was cheap ice, and heavily scouted - LOL!

That game was a makeup game not a regularly scheduled game. Agree timing wasn't the best, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do in order to get all the games in. Notice that GLO is also playing a makeup game next Wednesday night at the Benson Center at 7:00PM.

Also from what I understand there are no games over the March Break other than Monday March 13th which is the semi final games

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Something for parents

This was sent to me by a buddy.

Talent Transfer

Hockey players and hockey parents are you paying attention to what is going on in the world of sport. Tiger Woods has withdrawn yet again from a tournament due to injury. As golf commenter Brandell Chamblee put it, “Tiger Woods looks like an old man”. What we are seeing is one of the world’s great athletes come apart before our eyes as his body breaks down. This is the result of over training and early sports specialization. Woods is now faced with the task of rebuilding his golf swing once again, or face the possibility of retiring from competitive professional golf. His Father and mentor, Earl was lauded for developing the dominate golfer of the 1990’s and the 2000’s. Earl did a great job, or did he? The injuries that are occurring now are the result of 35 years of specialization. He has retooled his golf swing as many as six times during his career to accommodate the injuries that happened from this specialization. I need to ask a question. In all the time that the world has listened to Tiger Woods and followed his development has there ever been a mention of him playing any other sports growing up with any regularity? I can’t remember any.
Minor Hockey is now approaching the time in the hockey season when parents begin to look at what I call the “Silly Season!” Spring and Summer hockey. To state it mildly, it is a waste of parent’s money and time. Kids are playing in a watered down league that does not aid in the development of their skills and for the most part receiving Coaching that is inadequate from well-meaning individuals. These athletes should be playing sports that help them develop as athletes and as people. Sports like Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, and Golf. These are sports where the talent gets transferred from one sport to another. Growing up we all knew friends that were great multi-sport athletes. They were good hockey players, baseball players, and football players. We never asked why, they just were. Now we have an explanation.
A great example of talent transfer happened in 2004 in Australia. The Australian Institute of Sport was asked to identify athletes for the purpose of building a Women’s Skelton Team for the 2006 Olympics in Turin Italy. The scientist’s identified that the first 30 metres of the race were critical. It was responsible for 50% of the variance in the winning time. To satisfy this need they recruited athletes from track, gymnastics, beach racing, and surf lifesaving. All these disciplines involved sprinting and quick efficient movements. To make a long story short they placed an athlete in the top 15 in the Skelton in just 14 months. A great accomplishment and an even greater example of talent transfer.
Michael Jordan was arguably the greatest basketball player ever. Jordan decided to try baseball after he retired from basketball for the first time. Yeah right! Michael could catch, throw, and run pretty well. However, he could not hit minor league pitching. How can such a great athlete not do it all? Well the answer is pretty clear and explains why adults who try an athletic activity later in life face challenges. The neurons in the brain that Jordan needed to learn the appropriate skills to hit the pitching had long gone. They were used up while he was perfecting his basketball skills. The brain is overflowing with neurons when we are born. The ones were do not use in the early part of our lives get pruned away. Those that we do use get strengthen and interconnected. The brain becomes less broadly connected, but more narrowly interconnected. So as a parent of an athlete why would you do this? In the present you may think that you are doing your athlete a favor, but given the statistical probability of an athlete making it to an elite level you are not. Let them play other sports and strengthen their brain and body so when their sport of choice at the moment is over, they have some wiring done so they can play a sport like golf, tennis, or squash that can be a useful tool to them in their chosen profession.

Once a season is finished, the athlete needs to take time off to recharge mentally, physically, and emotionally. Academics, which should never suffer at the expense of sports, but does also, need to be refocused. I do believe that if an athlete shows promise at an adolescent age they should get involved in some short term programs in the off season to help development. These programs should be in the two to four hour range once a week and should not interfere with the off season sport. The transfer of talent from sport to sport has so many positives. The athlete brings a competitiveness, work ethic, focus, and self-management skills. These skills are not only transferable from sport to sport, but to life.
The cost of sport is increasing every year, and families are being stretched. However, why do parents continually waste resources on programs that do not give them a return on their investment? Is it a keep up with the Jones scenario, or if my athlete does not do this they maybe released the next year. The political side of kid’s sports is huge. My children never played competitive sports, but were seasonal athletes. Soccer and golf in the summer, skiing and skating in the winter. The transition from sport to sport was seamless, and they always seemed to have fun. They continue to participate in these sports today. I wish I knew then what I know now about talent transfer, because I could have learned so much more from them.

Well, that’s it for now.
Until next time! Cheers!

Last edited:

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
I did not think it was possible but most teams/players have not improved. In fact I would say development of players has gone down hill.

Last edited:

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
I did not think it was possible but most teams/players have not improved. In fact I would say development of players has gone down hill.

The lack of development by certain u18AAA teams will just hurt their respective CCHL team in the future. There are teams in u18AAA teaching their players systems and getting them ready to make the jump but unfortunately there are teams in the league that still play pond hockey.

Like I said many times, this concept of league was good but if not applied to all teams then it is a failure. Most u18AAA players are being affiliated to CCHL2 teams not CCHL which is what the old major Midget AAA used to do. I thought there would be more players getting in a game or more in CCHL but didn't happen this year.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
The lack of development by certain u18AAA teams will just hurt their respective CCHL team in the future. There are teams in u18AAA teaching their players systems and getting them ready to make the jump but unfortunately there are teams in the league that still play pond hockey.

Like I said many times, this concept of league was good but if not applied to all teams then it is a failure. Most u18AAA players are being affiliated to CCHL2 teams not CCHL which is what the old major Midget AAA used to do. I thought there would be more players getting in a game or more in CCHL but didn't happen this year.

Ok so I have calmed down. The concept sucks. The hockey is awful. The majority of players are not improving. The league was be designed to get HEO area players into the CCHL. Would that be correct? With the lack of talent in the league the players can not improve enough to make the step to the CCHL. If that happens the CCHL will again drop the numbers of HEO players in it's league.

You can not apply rules to privately run teams and the league is run by Junior hockey> Of the 12 teams in the CCHL which ones are well run? Does that carry on to the U 18 team? No?

Which U 18 teams do think are improving or well run?
Is the CCHL team well run?
Kanata CCHL has been awful for 15 years. There U 18 team has been very good. How many Kanata U 18 players made the jump to Kanata CCHL? Be honest, of the 12 teams in the U 18 league how many players per team will ever make the CCHL? Is this league improving that number? No.

Last edited:

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
Ok so I have calmed down. The concept sucks. The hockey is awful. The majority of players are not improving. The league was be designed to get HEO area players into the CCHL. Would that be correct? With the lack of talent in the league the players can not improve enough to make the step to the CCHL. If that happens the CCHL will again drop the numbers of HEO players in it's league.

You can not apply rules to privately run teams and the league is run by Junior hockey> Of the 12 teams in the CCHL which ones are well run? Does that carry on to the U 18 team? No?

Kanata CCHL has been awful for 15 years. There U 18 team has been very good. How many Kanata U 18 players made the jump to Kanata CCHL? Be honest, of the 12 teams in the U 18 league how many players per team will ever make the CCHL? Is this league improving that number? No.

Alan Quine played a strong game for Islanders yesterday in Ottawa. He was a Cumberland player in the old AAA system who left here to play Bantam and Midget in Toronto.

Calvin De Haan played heavy minutes for the Ilsanders yesterday in Ottawa. He played his entire minor hockey in Ottawa for the Titans.

Both are in the NHL now. Different paths.

Nothing material has changed. It's up to you to decide what's best for your kid. HEO U18 might not be great, it might not be better, and it won't be the reason your kid does or does not play pro hockey.

stickhandle

Jul 4, 2007
Alan Quine played a strong game for Islanders yesterday in Ottawa. He was a Cumberland player in the old AAA system who left here to play Bantam and Midget in Toronto.

Calvin De Haan played heavy minutes for the Ilsanders yesterday in Ottawa. He played his entire minor hockey in Ottawa for the Titans.

Nothing material has changed. It's up to you to decide what's best for your kid. HEO U18 might not be great, it might not be better, and it won't be the reason your kid does or does not play pro hockey.

There is no way to tell it was the reason , but there is no way it helps, it is not the best development model IMO it might be the worst I have seen for all the reason mentioned in this thread

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012

They both played against the best in their age group, Not mixed in with weaker players in a house league format with no tournaments or games against the best of their age group from other areas.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015

Players that play in the NHL, were most likely going to make it regardless of were they played or who was there coach. They are gifted, hard working, dedicated and strong in their belief that they will get to were they want to be.
My concern is for the middle of the road player that does not improve enough to play CCHL so he might have a chance play NCAA, or the player that does not develop enough to play OHL and go to CIS for free. Those are the players that this U 18 league hurts.

barberpoles

Apr 2, 2016

I know that there are 3 99's off the Kanata Lasers U18 that are currently playing in the CCHL this season. One 99 moved away and most likely would be playing and one 2000 decided to remain with the U18 after making the Jr. team this year.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
I know that there are 3 99's off the Kanata Lasers U18 that are currently playing in the CCHL this season. One 99 moved away and most likely would be playing and one 2000 decided to remain with the U18 after making the Jr. team this year.

Both teams in Kanata have the same coach. You are telling me a 2000 made the Jr A team and decided to play U 18, BS . My dad raised fat kids not stupid ones. Try again.

barberpoles

Apr 2, 2016
Both teams in Kanata have the same coach. You are telling me a 2000 made the Jr A team and decided to play U 18, BS . My dad raised fat kids not stupid ones. Try again.

Slow down trigger. Feel free to ask coach of the Laser teams or ANY player or parent on that team. If you want I will bet. He did not want to play as he was not ready to move away from home. I prefer the old system compared to this one. I can see why people get upset with you with the fly off the handle. Gheesh.

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016

Nothappy, I know that is a fact about the 2000 kid. He probably wasn't going to be on top two lines so I would rather see him play u18 over playing maybe half the CCHL games and seeing limited ice. In u18, he gets ice in all key situations which will be better long term for him.

I know a few other kids who made same decision a few years ago and they are doing well in CCHL now.

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016

Those Kanata 99s were more prepared to make jump because it was a well run u18AAA team. OJS, CP, Kemptville and Cumberland have some as well while the poorer u18AAA have very few that moved up. This is my biggest issue with this league, some teams give 110% while others give less then 50% effort.

Haven't checked how many affiliated games to CCHL by u18AAA but I imagine same teams.

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
Brockville, Cornwall, Kemptville and Nepean are only CCHL teams without a single APM game played.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Slow down trigger. Feel free to ask coach of the Laser teams or ANY player or parent on that team. If you want I will bet. He did not want to play as he was not ready to move away from home. I prefer the old system compared to this one. I can see why people get upset with you with the fly off the handle. Gheesh.

Hi;
The Kanata U 18 team has 11 2000 DOB this year.

2 are goalies so playing top two lines would be hard to accomplish
3 are D (see above)
2 did not play on last years team

That leaves 4 possible 2000 DOB from last years team. There are all local area players. I see no one that would have to move away from home to play Jr. A in Kanata.
Next argument please.
If he stayed to get more ice time, develop etc. I might buy that but that is not what you used as a reason.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Those Kanata 99s were more prepared to make jump because it was a well run u18AAA team. OJS, CP, Kemptville and Cumberland have some as well while the poorer u18AAA have very few that moved up. This is my biggest issue with this league, some teams give 110% while others give less then 50% effort.

Haven't checked how many affiliated games to CCHL by u18AAA but I imagine same teams.

The Kanata team was a very well coached team not a well run organization. If the U 18 team was so well run why did the coach leave? How come he was not asked to coach Jr A? Guess. Because he asked questions about money, player movement the Jr A team. The organization wanted nothing to do with a coach that knows what is wrong and can fix it.
Those are the questions that need to be asked by parents of players hoping to get better.
Most stood up and let there concerns be noticed at AAA but say nothing at U 18. Why because there concerns are not welcome? Example late games was the biggest complaint of last years league. What did the U 18 league do to address that? They move the games to a later start time.

barberpoles

Apr 2, 2016
Hi;
The Kanata U 18 team has 11 2000 DOB this year.

2 are goalies so playing top two lines would be hard to accomplish
3 are D (see above)
2 did not play on last years team

That leaves 4 possible 2000 DOB from last years team. There are all local area players. I see no one that would have to move away from home to play Jr. A in Kanata.
Next argument please.
If he stayed to get more ice time, develop etc. I might buy that but that is not what you used as a reason.

Ok nothappy, you called me a liar so...
Let me slow this down for you 1) go to heo aaa website 2)Click on Kanata in league standings 3)click on roster. Ok, clue time. Hint #1 - player in located in the second farthest settlement. Hint #2 - player has a number between 9 and 11.. (If you need more clues then let me know :) Now hopefully you have worked the google machine to identify the player. Next. This is not secret news or even new news. I have known about this since September. How do I know this you may ask? I know because I have seen this family and TALKED to them DIRECTLY.(WOW!) They were quite proud and so they should be. They indicate to me and several others that it was their son's decision not to move away from home and it had nothing to do with ice time/ development and they supported him (imagine that.) Now another user has indicated that they have similar information about this player. (We must be secretly talking behind the scenes to plot against you - insert evil laugh) Now I see you backtracked saying you might buy it if it matches ONLY with your opinion. (I feel like typing OPINION in bold for some reason) instead of calling me a liar next time please do the proper thing and ask how I know. I would have told you and we would be moving on to another topic. So far it is your opinion against the family and another user. HHMMMMM. Which one would I go with? Did you think it is some lie that I decided to plan out and execute at this precise point in time and get other families and people including those from the team to go along with in case you ask? You sir need an internet time out.

barberpoles

Apr 2, 2016

Who do you like to win it all this year? I think there may be some surprises as some of the middle teams have some outstanding goalies that could literally steal games.

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
Who do you like to win it all this year? I think there may be some surprises as some of the middle teams have some outstanding goalies that could literally steal games.

It will be similar to last year where the older players will carry their team to victory. I think Kanata has the best chance to win and mainly because their coach knows how to get best of each player. Ottawa is very talented but young and I think if they face a physical team then it maybe tough. CP, Cornwall, Smiths Falls and Gloucester are the other teams that I think might have a shot at making a run for it. CP have guys that can put it in the net and good goalies. Cornwall is a team that can be very physical have a few forwards with good skill, solid D and goalies that are either hot or cold. Smiths Falls has the best goalie in the league with some great forwards and a couple of decent D. Gloucester would win by their defensive game and games would be 1-0, 2-1 maybe 3 goals if lucky. Just my opinion so see how it goes. One game knockouts always gives a better chance of an upset. Cumberland might be the team to watch for that.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Ok nothappy, you called me a liar so...
Let me slow this down for you 1) go to heo aaa website 2)Click on Kanata in league standings 3)click on roster. Ok, clue time. Hint #1 - player in located in the second farthest settlement. Hint #2 - player has a number between 9 and 11.. (If you need more clues then let me know :) Now hopefully you have worked the google machine to identify the player. Next. This is not secret news or even new news. I have known about this since September. How do I know this you may ask? I know because I have seen this family and TALKED to them DIRECTLY.(WOW!) They were quite proud and so they should be. They indicate to me and several others that it was their son's decision not to move away from home and it had nothing to do with ice time/ development and they supported him (imagine that.) Now another user has indicated that they have similar information about this player. (We must be secretly talking behind the scenes to plot against you - insert evil laugh) Now I see you backtracked saying you might buy it if it matches ONLY with your opinion. (I feel like typing OPINION in bold for some reason) instead of calling me a liar next time please do the proper thing and ask how I know. I would have told you and we would be moving on to another topic. So far it is your opinion against the family and another user. HHMMMMM. Which one would I go with? Did you think it is some lie that I decided to plan out and execute at this precise point in time and get other families and people including those from the team to go along with in case you ask? You sir need an internet time out.

If I offended you I am sorry. I apologize.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Using My Rankings.com Nothing is perfect but I see a pattern here.
2007 DOB HEO has A teams only (some associations have two teams at age group) 56 teams in age group
14 Kanata
18 Seaway Valley
21 Nepean
25 Gloucester
30 Sting

2006 DOB HEO has AA 56 teams in age group
12 Sting
16 Gloucester
18 Nepean
27 Kanata

2005 DOB HEO has AA 59 teams in age group
13 Gloucester
27 Nepean
29 Seaway Valley

2004 DOB HEO has AAA 56 teams in age group
11 Titans
13 Wild
20 67’s

2003 DOB HEO has AAA 54 teams in age group
4 Titans
5 Senators
9 67’s

2002 DOB HEO has AAA 57 teams in age group
8 67’s
17 Wild
30 Senators

2001 DOB HEO has no teams 48 teams in age group

2000, 1999, 1998 HEO has U 18 64 teams in age group
20 Senators
27 Kanata
28 Gloucester

Using the above information it looks like we start of pretty well at the young age groups. Improve as we move to AAA. Then when we get to hockey when everybody is watching and decisions have to be made; OHL draft, NCAA scouts watching, CJHL teams watching. Our area teams decline. Not the best way to promote players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad