Ottawa U18 Part 4

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Cumberland U18

Might have one of the top 2001 goalies. One of the top 3/4 D-men and a young core of D that might be best all round D core in the U 18 league.
Some decent forwards.
They had more players than any team in this years showcase game and they finish 10th in a 12 team league, do not win one game in the league play-offs.
Did the players send a message?
Is management listing to parents and players?
Does anyone care?

This league was started for many reasons coaching 1 of them.
Is the coaching better at U18?

HEO minor is to have a review of this U 18 pilot project at the end of this year.
Who is running that review?
Who gets to participate?
What are the objectives of the review?
Can the pilot be changed?
Should HEO Minor just say finish the 3rd year but it can not continue?

There is a new HEO Committee locking into AAA hockey. Maybe they will have a plan for AAA hockey that works best for the kids/players not just the owners of CCHL teams. Well I can hope right?
AAA leaves HEO minor and joins HEO?
AAA goes to Atom starting 2018/19?
AAA goes to 4 teams no zones?
AAA goes to 6 teams no zones?
Has HEO minor run out of time and usefulness?
AAA is run by CCHL and HEO? (Why do I say this) The HEO BOD vote is carried by Junior hockey.

Last edited:

ValleyTitans

Jul 18, 2015
I've heard AAA is expanding to 6-7 teams and changing the geographic zones. This is from pw to mjr bantam.

InigoAtOttawa

Nov 17, 2008
Ottawa
Might have one of the top 2001 goalies. One of the top 3/4 D-men and a young core of D that might be best all round D core in the U 18 league.
Some decent forwards.
They had more players than any team in this years showcase game and they finish 10th in a 12 team league, do not win one game in the league play-offs.
Did the players send a message?
Is management listing to parents and players?
Does anyone care?

This league was started for many reasons coaching 1 of them.
Is the coaching better at U18?

HEO minor is to have a review of this U 18 pilot project at the end of this year.
Who is running that review?
Who gets to participate?
What are the objectives of the review?
Can the pilot be changed?
Should HEO Minor just say finish the 3rd year but it can not continue?

There is a new HEO Committee locking into AAA hockey. Maybe they will have a plan for AAA hockey that works best for the kids/players not just the owners of CCHL teams. Well I can hope right?
AAA leaves HEO minor and joins HEO?
AAA goes to Atom starting 2018/19?
AAA goes to 4 teams no zones?
AAA goes to 6 teams no zones?
Has HEO minor run out of time and usefulness?
AAA is run by CCHL and HEO? (Why do I say this) The HEO BOD vote is carried by Junior hockey.

They had more players at this year's showcase because they had more Wild 01 players. Not because they were were particularly strong. As to the best D group in the league? You clearly aren't watching this league. The coach did a reasonable job with what he had. The team took 14 01s (not sure why the league would let them). And some of those kids were marginal AAA players. It's not a shock they're on the outside looking in.

barberpoles

Apr 2, 2016
They had more players at this year's showcase because they had more Wild 01 players. Not because they were were particularly strong. As to the best D group in the league? You clearly aren't watching this league. The coach did a reasonable job with what he had. The team took 14 01s (not sure why the league would let them). And some of those kids were marginal AAA players. It's not a shock they're on the outside looking in.

I agree that Cumberland is not a playoff team. The team may have been something playing for the wild last year but as we know hockey changes from year to year and they have many players that are not advancing. The team was also probably tired of hearing tweets all year about a certain player on that team. Congrats to Hawksbury and Kemptville for eliminating Pembroke and Nepean.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015

1 D-man 5th in league scouring, others could get drafted OHL. 1 played forward most of the year and is not that bad. 5 of 7 were alright. Tell me a team you think that has a better all around group of D-men.

The coach picked the team, he picked 14 2001 DOB years that's on him. The league has enough power and control they do not need to step in and pick teams to.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
I agree that Cumberland is not a playoff team. The team may have been something playing for the wild last year but as we know hockey changes from year to year and they have many players that are not advancing. The team was also probably tired of hearing tweets all year about a certain player on that team. Congrats to Hawksbury and Kemptville for eliminating Pembroke and Nepean.

Players that are not advancing/developing. That's the coaches job in a developmental league is it not? Hey social media is the best way to coach is it not?

Coaching in this league is better than AAA just ask the executive.

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
1 D-man 5th in league scouring, others could get drafted OHL. 1 played forward most of the year and is not that bad. 5 of 7 were alright. Tell me a team you think that has a better all around group of D-men.

The coach picked the team, he picked 14 2001 DOB years that's on him. The league has enough power and control they do not need to step in and pick teams to.

First job as a D is to stop opponents and points are a bonus. I wish they kept +/- and you would see who the real D are. I will take the Pembroke kid any day over the Cumberland kid.

Nothappy, Cumberland probably had the most kids coming out of AAA so what do you say about that? Some other teams have very few with AAA experience and made it to this weekend.

You are telling me they have the best 2001 goalie and best D-men? Then answer this, why do they have second most goals against in the league 142 (Nepean 144) compared to Gloucester with 80 or Ottawa 86? In fact, a lot of teams have 30 less goals against. These are facts not fiction.

barberpoles

Apr 2, 2016
First job as a D is to stop opponents and points are a bonus. I wish they kept +/- and you would see who the real D are. I will take the Pembroke kid any day over the Cumberland kid.

Nothappy, Cumberland probably had the most kids coming out of AAA so what do you say about that? Some other teams have very few with AAA experience and made it to this weekend.

You are telling me they have the best 2001 goalie and best D-men? Then answer this, why do they have second most goals against in the league 142 (Nepean 144) compared to Gloucester with 80 or Ottawa 86? In fact, a lot of teams have 30 less goals against. These are facts not fiction.

Cumberland D is all about trying to get points and sacrifices team play to do so. The Pembroke defenceman plays both ends of the ice and is all round a better D than Cumberlands. Was that 2001 goalie in Cumberland hiding behind a strong team in the past and was exposed this year? He seems to have self destructed down the stretch.

barberpoles

Apr 2, 2016
Players that are not advancing/developing. That's the coaches job in a developmental league is it not? Hey social media is the best way to coach is it not?

Coaching in this league is better than AAA just ask the executive.

I believe that there are several factors into players advancing. Coaching is one and another is the will of the player. Each team provides a different experience in terms of development. The best players grow and adapt to the changing game. If not then we would be watching all the studs from Novice flying around. I think that coaching is very important and this league and old AAA league had good and bad coaching. What I do not like is that level of play and the kids are missing playing more elite teams.

InigoAtOttawa

Nov 17, 2008
Ottawa

Others have answered the first point. On the second, I was under the impression that there were quotas on the number of 1st year and 2nd year players. I was simply wondering why the league didn't enforce the quotas. Not suggesting that they should pick the team.

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
Others have answered the first point. On the second, I was under the impression that there were quotas on the number of 1st year and 2nd year players. I was simply wondering why the league didn't enforce the quotas. Not suggesting that they should pick the team.

The maximum number of third year players(1999 this year) is 3, second year is 7(2000) and there is no limit on first year kids. I think there is a minimum number for first year but I can remember exact number. I am thinking 5 but don't quote me on that.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
1 First job as a D is to stop opponents and points are a bonus. I wish they kept +/- and you would see who the real D are. I will take the Pembroke kid any day over the Cumberland kid.

1 Some guy by the name of Bobby Orr might have changed that.
2 Which D core is better? In your opinion.
3 Goals against are a team stat. Gloucester plays a modified trap that prevents offence. The Gloucester coach has his team playing his game. They play as a group. He has done a very good job.The trap should not be allowed in minor hockey. Only coaches/teams that make their living in hockey should be allowed to use the trap. We are suppose to be developing players. Let them skate/think and make plays/mistakes, correct the mistakes, do not allow same mistake to made over and over again by the same player and improve. Ottawa play's a solid team game and most of the kids work together as a team to accomplish a team goal. The Cumberland team is a collection of talent that play's for themselves and the coach never corrected that.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
I believe that there are several factors into players advancing. Coaching is one and another is the will of the player. Each team provides a different experience in terms of development. The best players grow and adapt to the changing game. If not then we would be watching all the studs from Novice flying around. I think that coaching is very important and this league and old AAA league had good and bad coaching. What I do not like is that level of play and the kids are missing playing more elite teams.

Great, could not agree more.

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
1 Some guy by the name of Bobby Orr might have changed that.
2 Which D core is better? In your opinion.
3 Goals against are a team stat. Gloucester plays a modified trap that prevents offence. The Gloucester coach has his team playing his game. They play as a group. He has done a very good job.The trap should not be allowed in minor hockey. Only coaches/teams that make their living in hockey should be allowed to use the trap. We are suppose to be developing players. Let them skate/think and make plays/mistakes, correct the mistakes, do not allow same mistake to made over and over again by the same player and improve. Ottawa play's a solid team game and most of the kids work together as a team to accomplish a team goal. The Cumberland team is a collection of talent that play's for themselves and the coach never corrected that.

1). Sure Orr changed style but I don't see Karlsson carrying Stanley Cup yet.
2). As a D core and not necessarily team play, I have Kanata and Cornwall as teams the forwards hate playing against. Both can contribute offensively but be ready to be hit in their zone.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
1). Sure Orr changed style but I don't see Karlsson carrying Stanley Cup yet.
2). As a D core and not necessarily team play, I have Kanata and Cornwall as teams the forwards hate playing against. Both can contribute offensively but be ready to be hit in their zone.

Maybe on both counts but both cores are much older. They both have D-men I like and that should develop into good CCHL Dmen if given a chance.

baylormaines

Jul 25, 2015
I've heard AAA is expanding to 6-7 teams and changing the geographic zones. This is from pw to mjr bantam.

That is a proposal coming from who knows where. No analysis, no consultation exc. over a beer. Could be academic as there are people actively campaigning to get rid of HEO Minor, including posters on this board. If and when, kiss AAA and AA goodbye entirely and get ready for massive increases in participant fees. HEO wants to make work for employees and build a little empire. Somebody has to pay for that. Step up, minor hockey.

HEO Minor has been the only group standing in their way. The Performance Centre disaster is just one. If HEO Minor had not demanded accountability, minor hockey money would have flowed in there unchecked. Same for mentorship.

Best of luck all. New job, new location, see ya.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015

1 minor executive needs AAA expanded so sibling can play AAA. They would have to go to a lot of teams for that to happen.

That is a proposal coming from who knows where. No analysis, no consultation exc. over a beer. Could be academic as there are people actively campaigning to get rid of HEO Minor, including posters on this board. If and when, kiss AAA and AA goodbye entirely and get ready for massive increases in participant fees. HEO wants to make work for employees and build a little empire. Somebody has to pay for that. Step up, minor hockey.

HEO Minor has been the only group standing in their way. The Performance Centre disaster is just one. If HEO Minor had not demanded accountability, minor hockey money would have flowed in there unchecked. Same for mentorship.

This is a huge issue maybe should have its own blog.
Competitive hockey is a privilege to play not a right. Not everybody can or should play at the AAA and AA levels.
Hockey like life is not fair.
AAA, AA and maybe A should be run differently than B and house league were most of the kids play. They should be separate.

Not sure competitive hockey should be in HEO which is run by Junior, but HEO Minor is about everybody and participation and that has not worked out either. The U 18 league is a perfect example of HEO Minor and competitive hockey. The league is weak because there is to many teams. HEO minor could be gone because they were fooled by Junior. HEO Minor needs to complete there 2 year review as promised and end this pilot project at the end of year 3 and have a new plan in place
Take a year talk things out and make a plan. Bring in out side hockey people to help with process.

highwayman

Aug 4, 2015

Again you put a spin on every to make HEO minor look like saints. We have requested in the past if you could provide some costing of HEO minor's expenses and you seem to shy away. Will ask the questions again, how much was spent on meals and clothing ect.,? how much was spent on the free vacation to Montreal for the AGM that all minor executive members tagged along? how much money has been paid to lawyers for bylaw 1 that does not seem to have sufficient support to pass? how much money have you spent on your fathom Hockey Canada appeals only to lose? please explain why the performance centre is a disaster?, appears to generating revenue. Could you provide info regarding a so called proposal, your pretty negative without providing any details. AAA hockey flourished under Dodie Malcom, where has minor gone wrong? Lets face it HEO minor is a group that has accomplished were little for the betterment of minor hockey, unfortunate sad state of affairs. Is DD still pursuing his dream of joining the OHF? We patiently await your data.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014

The answer to your question is yes, they charge. There are many doors to each rink and only one has a desk. The choice is yours.

appreciate the honest answer lol...but of course now I have to ask 1. is it worth it (quality of hockey) AND 2. where to the gate proceeds go?
(I'll pay);)

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
appreciate the honest answer lol...but of course now I have to ask 1. is it worth it (quality of hockey) AND 2. where to the gate proceeds go?
(I'll pay);)

Read my post for the last two years. IMO the money goes to THE CCHL.

Please go and you tell me what you think of the hockey. Everybody on hear knows my opinion.

Looking forward to your opinion.

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
How does Jack Quinn not make the OHL tourney roster? Kid has a ton of skill.

The team going is supposed to be all the Major Bantam Wild players from last year. OHL has allowed them to replace players not playing in HEO u18AAA league so Carroll,Fabbro and Johnson were added at forward, Rose at D and Cavallin in nets. Supposedly it was OHL scouting that selected these players. Quinn is a great forward and there would be some other players but this is not an all star team from HEO.

Good luck to the players on that team. At least some minors will get the chance to see where the stand against the top teams in Ontario.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad