Ottawa U18 Part 4

barberpoles

Apr 2, 2016
Read my post for the last two years. IMO the money goes to THE CCHL.

Please go and you tell me what you think of the hockey. Everybody on hear knows my opinion.

Looking forward to your opinion.

Took in some action yesterday and the kids were definitely giving there all. The play was sloppy as puck turnovers were plentiful. Kanata, Ottawa and CP hard work all season is over in 48 hours. They must be in shock.

Last edited:

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
IMO more players, less quality.

Someone was telling me at rink that Cornwall, Kemptville, Hawkesbury and Gloucester have the least number of AAA kids on their respective teams. I haven't done the research to see if it is true but it does show that not all AAA kids are better then AA kids.

barberpoles

Apr 2, 2016
Someone was telling me at rink that Cornwall, Kemptville, Hawkesbury and Gloucester have the least number of AAA kids on their respective teams. I haven't done the research to see if it is true but it does show that not all AAA kids are better then AA kids.

For sure agree with that statement. Players are still changing and improving at this age. My point is that kids get overlooked for lets say various reasons and the better players you have, the higher quality of hockey you get. There is no doubt kids playing in the current league that were overlooked in old aaa, but there are way more that are playing now that would not make the old league.

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
For sure agree with that statement. Players are still changing and improving at this age. My point is that kids get overlooked for lets say various reasons and the better players you have, the higher quality of hockey you get. There is no doubt kids playing in the current league that were overlooked in old aaa, but there are way more that are playing now that would not make the old league.

Yes there are more players that are struggling but hopefully more players stay second year, eliminate 16 yr old card in CCHL2 and just affiliate more to CCHL from u18AAA to CCHL if possible. 17 yr old all go to CCHL2 or CCHL not in u18AAA.

Gloucester 11 former AAA
Cornwall 4
Haven't done other teams yet

barberpoles

Apr 2, 2016
Yes there are more players that are struggling but hopefully more players stay second year, eliminate 16 yr old card in CCHL2 and just affiliate more to CCHL from u18AAA to CCHL if possible. 17 yr old all go to CCHL2 or CCHL not in u18AAA.

Gloucester 11 former AAA
Cornwall 4
Haven't done other teams yet

Agree that something needs to be done to improve the number of quality players in the league. Although interesting I do not think that a quick tournament style is best for assessing the players. The final league standing would make more sense to me as it has much more weight with the large number of games.

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
Agree that something needs to be done to improve the number of quality players in the league. Although interesting I do not think that a quick tournament style is best for assessing the players. The final league standing would make more sense to me as it has much more weight with the large number of games.

Like I mentioned before, I hope u18AAA eventually takes CCHL playoff format where top 8 teams move on. You could make something for 4 bottom teams if you want but not necessary.

barberpoles

Apr 2, 2016
Like I mentioned before, I hope u18AAA eventually takes CCHL playoff format where top 8 teams move on. You could make something for 4 bottom teams if you want but not necessary.

Agreed. This playoff format is a joke. League was lucky last year to get the top teams to the end. This year I think it is 3, 7, 8 and 11 in the quarters. That would not be the case most likely if they played the CCHL style. The low seeds can get on a roll and knock off top team early just like Nepean did last year and Hawksbury this year. All seasons work for a 3 game weekend. Brutal.:shakehead

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
Agreed. This playoff format is a joke. League was lucky last year to get the top teams to the end. This year I think it is 3, 7, 8 and 11 in the quarters. That would not be the case most likely if they played the CCHL style. The low seeds can get on a roll and knock off top team early just like Nepean did last year and Hawksbury this year. All seasons work for a 3 game weekend. Brutal.:shakehead

Kanata going 1-2 can't be called a fluke. They have been running their top line a lot all season, PP and PK lines while others were just rolling their lines until playoffs started. Very rarely did I see 3rd D pairings against Kanata's top line.

barberpoles

Apr 2, 2016
Kanata going 1-2 can't be called a fluke. They have been running their top line a lot all season, PP and PK lines while others were just rolling their lines until playoffs started. Very rarely did I see 3rd D pairings against Kanata's top line.

100% wrong with the line rolling. Like Nepean last year the Kanata coach rolled the lines all year and did not have a set PP until after Christmas. Kanata got burned in the playoffs because the rolled the lines in the first two games and the other teams line matched. The coach probably thought they were going to roll over the other teams without having to shorten the bench. I watched one game live and another on the internet and I think they were overconfident.

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
100% wrong with the line rolling. Like Nepean last year the Kanata coach rolled the lines all year and did not have a set PP until after Christmas. Kanata got burned in the playoffs because the rolled the lines in the first tiwo games and the other teams line matched. The coach probably thought they were going to roll over the other teams without having to shorten the bench. I watched one game live and another on the internet and I think they were overconfident.

Overconfident is right, but when you are being beat to the puck and losing battles then it is usually hard to win. Kanata was more hesitant as well because the more physical play in playoffs. Kanata had home bench against Cornwall and Gloucester so line matching shouldn't be an issue. I still think most teams ran lines except on PP and PK.

None of the teams have a good chance in Telus Cup anyways since they will have to play mainly 1999 age players. Kanata had a much older, more physically mature team then any team this year.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Overconfident is right, but when you are being beat to the puck and losing battles then it is usually hard to win. Kanata was more hesitant as well because the more physical play in playoffs. Kanata had home bench against Cornwall and Gloucester so line matching shouldn't be an issue. I still think most teams ran lines except on PP and PK.

None of the teams have a good chance in Telus Cup anyways since they will have to play mainly 1999 age players. Kanata had a much older, more physically mature team then any team this year.

Hard to believe :sarcasm:
Are you describing the team effort or the play of 1 gifted star player.:amazed:
Please do not criticize the inventor of hockey:naughty:
True. Very, very true. Step into the light grasshopper.

barberpoles

Apr 2, 2016

Kanata did not line match in the first two games. They only did in the third game. Playoff hockey is different for the players and coaches and Kanata got caught with their pants down and it was too late to recover.

barberpoles

Apr 2, 2016

I agree with your thinking that Kanata had trouble with the physical play. Cornwall and Gloucester use the body very well. I would have trouble picking a winner between the final four as each team has played well to advance.

barberpoles

Apr 2, 2016

Who do you like to come out of the four remaining teams?

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
U 18 Ottawa

Things I saw during play-off weekend.

KA was at games.
SM was at games. Her throne must be out for cleaning.:naughty:
Lots of OHL scouts.
I did not see any NCAA D1 scouts.
I thought HEO Minor ran this league with the CCHL. Has anyone ever seen DD at a game?

Question.

Tallman was drafted/protected by Cornwall, correct. In a league that is not allowed to trade players how did he end up playing for Kemptville? I know Hockey Canada said he could come back but should he not have played for Cornwall?

barberpoles

Apr 2, 2016

KA was at games.
Lots of OHL scouts.
I thought HEO Minor ran this league with the CCHL. Has anyone ever seen DD at a game?

Question.

Tallman was drafted/protected by Cornwall, correct. In a league that is not allowed to trade players how did he end up playing for Kemptville? I know Hockey Canada said he could come back but should he not have played for Cornwall?

I heard not directly about Tallman that he was on a team from Toronto and that team lost out. Family moved back and wanted to play. League said no but it was overturned by someone else. Again this is hear say and may not be true. What did you think of the level of play?

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016

KA was at games.
Lots of OHL scouts.

Question.

Most NCAA D1 teams were still in playoffs themselves this weekend and scouts are the assistant coaches so that is main reason for them missing.

I saw KA but I have no clue what SM looks like.

HEO supposedly rejected Tallman from coming back and that is the right move because there should be no switching teams after final rosters on January 10th. Family thought they could move back because his team didn't make playoffs in GTHL so might as well play here and they thought he could play in OHL Cup but glad they didn't allow that. Cornwall u18AAA team has maximum limit of players so he can't play there so I don't know how he was allowed to play for another team.

I am wondering if the results this weekend are going to affect number of HEO kids drafted to OHL? More sleeper picks?

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
I heard not directly about Tallman that he was on a team from Toronto and that team lost out. Family moved back and wanted to play. League said no but it was overturned by someone else. Again this is hear say and may not be true. What did you think of the level of play?

He completed the whole year in the GTHL.
Father asked HEO, they said no, father appealed to Hockey Canada, they said yes.
Not sure the father had to move back.
Too many teams, too many players, the hockey is weak at best.

barberpoles

Apr 2, 2016
He completed the whole year in the GTHL.
Father asked HEO, they said no, father appealed to Hockey Canada, they said yes.
Not sure the father had to move back.
Too many teams, too many players, the hockey is weak at best.

Just my opinion but that does not sound right or fair to the team he went to.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Just my opinion but that does not sound right or fair to the team he went to.

Kemptville already had 6 D-men. Not right for anybody. HEO should have complied with Hockey Canada but told the family to play hockey in his home town (Cornwall). If U 18 Cornwall had a full roster then the kid plays AA or A.
Hard for me to swallow, the kid/family decide to leave HEO and play in the GTHL when things do not work out as planed they want back. You made a choice live with it.

Kemptville 73's CCHL up for sale? Next owner is (my pick) Tallman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad