Ottawa U18 Part 4

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
U18 is here to stay, no doubt about it.

I have heard that the same person who created U18 is proposing a 6 team Minor Midget AAA league, controlled by the CCHL and teams picked by their draft.

I don't know if that's real or not, just rink talk.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Not a bad idea, but honestly it's JR that's running the show. So ask yourself, what would benefit them the most.

The question is why is Jr. running the show?
Jr. hockey is a business let them be on their own. I am not sure they should even be part of the branch. Junior hockey should be governed by Hockey Canada.
The branches should focus on minor hockey were the players are.

The U 18 league came into being as a partnership with Jr. and HEO Minor. Word at the rink is AAA at all levels is moving to HEO so will be governed by the HEO BOD. The HEO BOD vote is controlled by Jr.
If HEO Minor was smart they would vote the pilot down at the 2 year review ( should be taking place now) and take minor midget age players out of the U 18 league for next year.
I hear HEO minor is bring back Minor Midget at AA so that should mean this experiment was a bust. So fix it at AAA also.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Talk about Nepean having it's own AAA team so a 6 team league in major pw.

If Nepean got this through it's local players would not be allowed to play for Ottawa Senators AAA and that would destroy Ottawa Senators AAA.This is a move by Nepean President Greg Clarke to take over AAA in his area. He cannot get rid of AAA so now he wants to control it. He has been opposed to AAA since day 1.

Adding another team to AAA would not work. Look what adding teams/players to Midget has done for the quality of hockey.

Last edited:

ValleyTitans

Jul 18, 2015
I believe that Stittsville and carp would move to form Sens along with Kanata. Titans would then just be a Valley team and likely not as strong.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
I believe that Stittsville and carp would move to form Sens along with Kanata. Titans would then just be a Valley team and likely not as strong.

Valley president would never give up Stittsville. Half his players come from there and he lives there.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
Valley president would never give up Stittsville. Half his players come from there and he lives there.

The Titans without Stittsville and Carp would not be viable.

GC hates AAA because in the one of the first years at Minor Midget they cut his kid.

Then he fired the coaches...ahh the great memories of minor hockey.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
I have heard that the same person who created U18 is proposing a 6 team Minor Midget AAA league, controlled by the CCHL and teams picked by their draft.

I don't know if that's real or not, just rink talk.

U18 league is suppose to have a review after this year by HEO Minor. I would think KA and his group would be trying to come up with something to buffalo HEO Minor into letting him keep his 12 team league to keep the money flowing to his CCHL teams.

"******** baffles brains"

MinorHockeyInsider

Jul 22, 2015
Can anyone provide any feedback on the CDHL that the CCHL runs in the spring. Is it worth the money? Does if have any impact at all on making the U18 team in the fall? I'd appreciate any advice.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Can anyone provide any feedback on the CDHL that the CCHL runs in the spring. Is it worth the money? Does if have any impact at all on making the U18 team in the fall? I'd appreciate any advice.

Ask the team you get drafted by. More questions you ask the better feel you will get for the organization. Ask the tough questions and see the response.
It has been no body contact in the past.
Some teams make it hard to make midget team if you refuse to participate in CDHL.
That should be a red flag for you and your player.
Most parents pay the money and play because they are afraid if they do not participate the are losing a chance or there son/player will be left behind.
Only 30 players per birth year make the CCHL. Less than half the players in CCHL are from the HEO area.
Play soccer, baseball, lacrosse become a well rounded athlete. Any sport year round leads to burnout. IMO.

MinorHockeyInsider

Jul 22, 2015
What if you're asked to play on a CDHL team prior to the draft? I know that last year, only about 40% of the CDHL players on one team played on that teams U18 squad with a couple playing CCHL2.

Bossman

Oct 1, 2015

Caliber is pretty weak. If you are willing to spend that kind of money your better off paying skills coaches to improve skills and or off season conditioning. I agree with nothappy depends on the team but i would say with most it won't have any affect on a U18 spot.

barberpoles

Apr 2, 2016
Three games in and Cornwall has 1 goal for and 19 against. Ouch. Lots of money spent to get steamrolled. Feel sorry for the kids and parents.

barberpoles

Apr 2, 2016

My advice is off-ice, off-ice, off-ice. Play some 4on4 for fun and then start with ice 3 weeks before tryouts. Money would be spent better elsewhere.IMO

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
Three games in and Cornwall has 1 goal for and 19 against. Ouch. Lots of money spent to get steamrolled. Feel sorry for the kids and parents.

Looks like Cornwall brought three 2002 kids with them so that will weaken the team a bit. Also, the team is never the same when head coach is missing. He is back in Cornwall getting his CCHL team ready for round 2.

Boys should keep their heads up because they have had a great season regardless of this tournament.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Looks like Cornwall brought three 2002 kids with them so that will weaken the team a bit. Also, the team is never the same when head coach is missing. He is back in Cornwall getting his CCHL team ready for round 2.

Boys should keep their heads up because they have had a great season regardless of this tournament.

Easternfan why do make excuses for the people running this league and teams. Cornwall has added 3 2002 DOB players and you think that will weaken the team. Some if not all played in the U 18 Championship series so they helped win the league.
The head coach not going to the Ontario Midget Championship that should tell you were the CCHL loyalties are. They do not care about the U18 team, the players or parents they only care about the revenue the U18 league reduces from the bottom line of the Jr A team. I feel sorry for every player in this league. The players at both the OHL Cup and the Ontario Championship were set up to fail. Both teams play in a league that is weak by any hockey standard. the quality of hockey is poor, the pace of play is far below the rest of Ontario and the intensity is lacking. They never see outside teams and therefore have no idea how to elevate their game. You cannot blame the players. the blame has to go squarely on the league, the CCHL,HEO Minor and HEO.
OHL Cup.
The team did not perform that well, not the players doing they played there best. They had little time to prepare. The head coaching new little to nothing about the players. So poor decisions were made about D pairings, lines, PP and PK units. At 1 time HEO had a PP and had only 3 players on the ice for about 15 seconds.
The Ontario Championship.
We send a team that won a version of a play-off system that leaves a lot to be desired. Cornwall won the system in place good for them but with a different system in place the chances of sending the best team improves.

Easternfan

Mar 15, 2016
Easternfan why do make excuses for the people running this league and teams. Cornwall has added 3 2002 DOB players and you think that will weaken the team. Some if not all played in the U 18 Championship series so they helped win the league.
The head coach not going to the Ontario Midget Championship that should tell you were the CCHL loyalties are. They do not care about the U18 team, the players or parents they only care about the revenue the U18 league reduces from the bottom line of the Jr A team. I feel sorry for every player in this league. The players at both the OHL Cup and the Ontario Championship were set up to fail. Both teams play in a league that is weak by any hockey standard. the quality of hockey is poor, the pace of play is far below the rest of Ontario and the intensity is lacking. They never see outside teams and therefore have no idea how to elevate their game. You cannot blame the players. the blame has to go squarely on the league, the CCHL,HEO Minor and HEO.
OHL Cup.
The team did not perform that well, not the players doing they played there best. They had little time to prepare. The head coaching new little to nothing about the players. So poor decisions were made about D pairings, lines, PP and PK units. At 1 time HEO had a PP and had only 3 players on the ice for about 15 seconds.
The Ontario Championship.
We send a team that won a version of a play-off system that leaves a lot to be desired. Cornwall won the system in place good for them but with a different system in place the chances of sending the best team improves.

I am not making excuses for league just stating those 2002s are not ready to be thrown into a tournament against teams with predominantly 1999 and 2000 kids. Did a little more research and none of them played in playoffs or finals for Cornwall and only one actually played for them before this tournament. Coach is not going to leave his CCHL team so hopefully he has a full time coach in place for u18AAA next year. I don't think anyone thought Cornwall would go from last place to Championship in one year.

Hopefully the results of this tournament and OHL Cup will be part of the reevaluation of this league. I still think if they made an East and West minor Midget team and put them in this league and rest of teams could take more second and third year midgets. The minor midgets could then attend all the big tournaments and have their own playoff to see who goes to OHL Cup. Older teams would compete for Telus Cup.

Nothappy, just face it that the old AAA is not coming back and hope that HEO does right thing and make changes so they can be more competitive against out of league teams.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
I am not making excuses for league just stating those 2002s are not ready to be thrown into a tournament against teams with predominantly 1999 and 2000 kids. Did a little more research and none of them played in playoffs or finals for Cornwall and only one actually played for them before this tournament. Coach is not going to leave his CCHL team so hopefully he has a full time coach in place for u18AAA next year. I don't think anyone thought Cornwall would go from last place to Championship in one year.

Hopefully the results of this tournament and OHL Cup will be part of the reevaluation of this league. I still think if they made an East and West minor Midget team and put them in this league and rest of teams could take more second and third year midgets. The minor midgets could then attend all the big tournaments and have their own playoff to see who goes to OHL Cup. Older teams would compete for Telus Cup.

Nothappy, just face it that the old AAA is not coming back and hope that HEO does right thing and make changes so they can be more competitive against out of league teams.

Looks like your making excuses to me.
He has had two years to get a fulltime coach. Were did the $24,000.00 for U 18 coaching go. To Head coach, assistants correct? Who is the head coach of U 18? Who is the head coach CCHL? Same guy? He gets paid by parents of U 18 to coach CCHL great way to shuffle money around.
Looks like he saved money by paying himself at U18. IMO

I would prefer if Minor Midget AAA came back no doubt, but what I am opposed to is the CCHL making money of the backs of the U 18 players they are not developing.

Last edited:

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Nothing after 6 hours?
Huge disappointment.
Midget Ontario Championship. HEO could go win less and out shot by way to much.
Bantam Ontario Championship. HEO at worst 4th in Ontario. Last year 3rd. What happens when those same players Bantam players get to Midget? Do the get worse? Do they forget how to play?
NO, the league they play in is so watered down they regress over the course of a year.IMO

Last edited:

Bossman

Oct 1, 2015
Nothing after 6 hours?
Huge disappointment.
Midget Ontario Championship. HEO could go win less and out shot by why to much.
Bantam Ontario Championship. HEO at worst 4th in Ontario. Last year 3rd. What happens when those same players Bantam players get to Midget? Do the get worse? Do they forget how to play?
NO, the league they play in is so watered down they regress over the course of a year.IMO

I agree with you but their will never be any changes. I have heard of teams making $20,000 plus just off U18 alone. Next season will be interesting to see how many players play in the CCHL that are from HEO.

The results in Sudbury are as expected and makes the league look bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad