TSN: Ottawa to ask Phaneuf to waive NTC

Ygg

Feb 2, 2017
Being a good sport, I'm confident he will agree to lift his clause. Would not be surprised if Sens sent a pick to Vegas to help them not take him

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Being a good sport, I'm confident he will agree to lift his clause. Would not be surprised if Sens sent a pick to Vegas to help them not take him

Phaneuf is probably going to be the best D exposed, why would Vegas accept a pick instead of taking a guy you can build your D around?

Ygg

Feb 2, 2017
Phaneuf is probably going to be the best D exposed, why would Vegas accept a pick instead of taking a guy you can build your D around?

By the time the team is competitive enough to make the playoffs (I'll be generous and say 3 years considering they're in the Pacific division), there won't be much more gas left in the tank and will be a 5-6D with that salary

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Sens don't want phaneuf anymore. They aretrying to spin it that they want phaneuf and want t build with him and the other dmen just in case vegas doesn't pick him up.

They are hoping vegas needs to spend to get their cap dollars up and sell it that Phaneufs actually money is less than his cap hit.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
I understand why the Sens would want to do this. Just not sure why they would ever think a hockey player/businessman would ever want to help them with that. Not happening.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
LV could draft Phaenuf retain 2 mil on him and trade him to a contender for a more valuable asset.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
Sens don't want phaneuf anymore. They aretrying to spin it that they want phaneuf and want t build with him and the other dmen just in case vegas doesn't pick him up.

They are hoping vegas needs to spend to get their cap dollars up and sell it that Phaneufs actually money is less than his cap hit.

:laugh: Yeah, we just celebrated the one year anniversary of us trading for him (which, you know, generally tells a player that you want him) and are already sick of him, despite him playing very well for us and helping Ceci which is why we traded for him in the first place. Yeah, this is purely a PR move and has nothing to do with us finally having a solid top 4 for the first time in eons... Yup, sounds reasonable. :shakehead

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Vegas just paid $500M for a franchise. I don't see how they don't pick him and trade him with 50% retained. At 3.5M, I would think he should fetch a decent return.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
if Phaneuf is exposed and I'm Vegas GM, I'm totally picking him. first because you look at the Sens list of exposed players and... well, it's not pretty. Ryan with his jumbo contract? Lazar? rofl second because he may actually be one of the best D available for them to pick. on top of my head I can only think of three or four better (younger/cheaper) options. since Ds are so valuable in the league nowadays, I'd pick as many as possible and trade them after, getting more assets. (for someone that is starting from the ground, this is crucial)

Ottawa probably loses Methot, Dzingel or Wideman. If Phaneuf waives his NMC, then Methot will be protected. I can't see why Vegas would take Phaneuf with that contract.

Not Jared Cowen

Oct 1, 2004

You should probably know what you're talking about before posting. Phaneuf is an integral part of our top 4. We're pretty shallow on defensive depth after them and if Phaneuf were gone, Borowiecki or Claesson would be put into that top-4 role. We need Phaneuf to hold that spot until Chabot is ready.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
How the hell does Phaneuf have a NTC?

image.jpg

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Well from what i read on his contract Phaneuf has a NTC not a NMC so if he waves his NTC anything is possible.

He has an NMC ... which is what this thread is really all about and a M-NTC.

The thread title is wrong. The discussion is about him waiving his NMC to be exposed to expansion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad