TSN: Ottawa to ask Phaneuf to waive NTC

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
50% of the rest of Phaneuf's contract is 12.75 M$. It is a LOT OF (REAL) money. It wouldn't be 500 M$ but 512.75 M$ then...

I was talking about your specific comment "This would have been something he bargained for during his contract talks"

If they need to get to the floor, retaining on Phaneuf would help them (assuming that they find a team on his 10-team list that wants him). I'd do that to get a good pick/prospect. But it depends on their cap situation, how much $$ the owner wants to spend, and how much they value picks and prospects.

WRT the other: Whan a player bargains for a NMC, he's bargaining for the right to have a fair amount of control for which teams he might be traded to. He's giving up $$ (or term or something) for more control. It's very generic and broad. It's a bargain for the known (e.g., "I hate Darryl Sutter and don't want to play for the Kings") but also the unknown bc who knows which teams will be teams that he wants or doesn't want to play for in 7 (or even 2) years. A lot can change in 7 years. That's the idea: it's supposed to cover situations that he knows about now and those he doesn't. It's one reason that the right to have more control is valuable to both the team and the player (the team also wants to have more control over the currently known and the stuff not known yet, e.g. how well the guy is playing, other ppl on the team, rebuilding/retooling/competitive, the trade market, etc.) and why he has to give up something valuable to get an NMC.

It's not like he's bargaining for a specific situation, e.g. "I hate Darryl Sutter and never want to play for the Kings." The right to not be selected by an expansion team would definitely be within the scope of what Phaneuf bargained for. It's not like there have never been expansion teams or that it was completely off the wall that an expansion team would be added some time during his long contract.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If I'm Phaneuf I don't waive if I don't have any inclination to play in Las Vegas.

And I wouldn't blame him either.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It's not the money, it's the cap hit. Any way you do the math, a $7M player has got to be a very important piece on your hockey team, or else you're going to suffer somewhere else. That extra 3.5M basically lets you add one more high end player to your roster.

To be honest, if Phaneuf did get plucked by LV, I think Ottawa could be pretty happy with how the trade worked out. Lindberg and a 2nd round pick is a very cheap price to pay for two potential playoff runs with Phaneuf (didn't work out last year but that's life.) On top of that, they got rid of a bunch of dead contracts, and losing Phaneuf means not losing anyone else.

1- Ok but Phaneuf is worth more than 3.5 M$ anyway

2- Like you said, when you take into account dead contracts, the real cost of Phaneuf to Ottawa is about 4.0 per season. I don't think Ottawa could be pretty happy if LV would pick up Phaneuf but I get what you mean. Silver lining for Ottawa in losing Phaneuf or Ryan is that it means not losing Methot or Dzingel, and more money to play with in the next 4-5 years.

good point. Vegas will have loads of cap space and probably understands that a Bobby Ryan or Dion Phaneuf @50% is worth a lot more than a borowiecki/lazar

Problem is that you guys think it's just imaginary cap space and that's it... No it's also REAL MILLIONS OF DOLLARS

50% of money still owed to Ryan is ~ 16.5 M$ and for Phaneuf it's 12.75 M$

That's a lot of money to get a "better prospect" and a "better pick"

If they need to get to the floor, retaining on Phaneuf would help them (assuming that they find a team on his 10-team list that wants him). I'd do that to get a good pick/prospect. But it depends on their cap situation, how much $$ the owner wants to spend, and how much they value picks and prospects.

Of course you'd do it as it's not your money... How much do you value picks and prospects? How many millions?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad