TSN: Ottawa to ask Phaneuf to waive NTC

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
From what I read, it's his NMC for expansion purposes. Didn't mention anything about his modified NTC.

Sens fans? Assuming he agrees to waive his NMC, which would allow the team to protect Karlsson, Methot and Ceci..... and if Vegas doesn't want to take on his contract, who would roughly be the next best possibility for getting picked in expaansion?

Whenever I've played around with the capfriendly expansion tool, with Ottawa, I always assumed it would be one of Method/Ceci over a forward.

It's very possible that Ryan Dzingel will be available. He would be a good candidate as a Forward if he would become available. On the backend there is Chris Wideman, who doesn't have the same pedigree as Ceci but Bruce Garrioch has speculated numerous times that Vegas might be interested in him.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
It's very possible that Ryan Dzingel will be available. He would be a good candidate as a Forward if he would become available. On the backend there is Chris Wideman, who doesn't have the same pedigree as Ceci but Bruce Garrioch has speculated numerous times that Vegas might be interested in him.

Unless something happens at the deadline, I don't see why Dzingel won't be protected. If we're going 7-3-1, who would we protect over Dzingel?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Unless something happens at the deadline, I don't see why Dzingel won't be protected. If we're going 7-3-1, who would we protect over Dzingel?

Wouldn't be surprised if Ryan was protected over Dzingel. Wouldn't be upset if It is Dzingel who gets protected but I could see either one being exposed.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Maybe they compensate behind the scenes. There's a few of these cases where it would be in the team's best interest to get someone to waive their NMC because we all know LV won't pick them regardless.

Doesn't make much sense for anyone to take even the slightest risk though, unless you get something for it.

It would be hilarious if Phaneuf waives and LV actually picks him.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
If he waives that would be perfect.

Stone-Hoffman-Turris-Brassard-Smith-Dzingel-Pageau
Karlsson-Ceci-Methot

Ryan and Phaneuf exposed. Would suck to lose either one for nothing but at least that would be some additional dollars available... wich is valuable for a budget team

I was just watching a clip on TSN Go about Nylander/Montour and noticed the news ticker on the wall saying that Ottawa was going to ask Phaneuf to waive his NTC.

I haven't been watching him this year now that he's a Senator, is he worth anything on the trade market?

I mean, Toronto unloaded him in exchange for every dead contract Ottawa had...

To me that's a negative asset.

I'm assuming he hasn't improved his game in Ottawa.

What's the market for this guy?

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=127032053&postcount=77

In a post I made a while ago, I calculated this :

If you take into account the 3 undesired salaries (for both Ottawa and Toronto) that the Leafs took back in the trade (which was ~14.3 M$), it means that Toronto paid ~29 M$ of Phaneuf's contract for 1.75 years, while Ottawa will pay ~20 M$ for 5.25 years

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/dion-phaneuf

It was a very astute financial trade for Ottawa. Luckily the rich Maple Leafs could afford it.

Thanks to the context of the trade that brought Phaneuf to Ottawa, he is not a negative asset to them. No point in trading him now as he has more value to the Sens than he would have on the market because of his cap hit.

If he was paid half as much to be a team #4 he would be great.

Yeah like Gudbranson or Smid

hahaha you guys are funny

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/active/2017/caphit/all/defense

Bryan Murray "hey Dion we are celebrating your one year with the Sens tonight...... by placing you on the trade block. So if you wanna hand in that list of teams anytime..... that'd be great"
Dion "����"

Bryan Murray is retired and his role in the organization has diminished for a while as he has been battling cancer... :facepalm:

Ryan is likely to be exposed, as is one of Dzingel and Lazar up front.

No chance that Dzingel is exposed IMO. Unless they protect Ryan... but why would they? Yeah they'd lose a top-6 forward but he still has 37.25 M$ owed, which is a big chunk of money for Ottawa. I think they'd rather lose pricey Ryan over cheap Dzingel

Vegas has to draft 44M worth of players, and even if they are going the "right way" about building a team and bottoming out for 3 seasons to draft high, they could considering taking the Ryan's and Phaneuf's of the world and flipping them with retained salary for bigger returns than whoever the second best guy from those teams might have been. For example, what does Ryan fetch at under 4M per for the next 5 seasons?

Dang, I didn't think about that... Hmmm, what to do then? Because they could certainly retain as money shouldn't be an issue for Vegas and they won't be spending to the cap right away

I would definitely take Phaneuf and his contract over Ryan and his. As for the other 2 it just comes down to what other forwards Vegas is going to take, but I'm not overly impressed with either, though I don't watch much Sens hockey.

Dzingel is on pace for 43 pts in his first full year. Top-5 skater in the league as well.

Methot is 31.....

Who cares about protecting a veteran d-man like that?

Because... he is very good defensively?

To move him they'd likely have to retain salary AND take back a cap dump. Even then I have. Share time seeing him returning anything more than a 2nd. He's hardly regained any value from when he was a Leaf

And you are? :laugh:

Everytime I see his name I smile.

I still can't believe we got rid of his contract and Clarkson's.

Anyhow, as already been mentioned ad nauseum, he's going no where.

Thanks for paying 60% of his contract for 25% of the time though :laugh:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If Dion does that he likely will be taken and be made their Captain.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
And if that is the case, then I don't see why Vegas wouldn't claim an ex-captain who would provide some stability to what will probably be a pretty weak defense. It's not as if they are going to have cap issues with his contract.

Vegas wouldn't claim him because there will be similar DMen available for less, and, if they WOULD, I think Ottawa would offer something up to make sure it doesn't happen. Simple fact is, he is the least likely of our guys to get claimed out of him, Karlsson, Ceci and Methot. That's no indictment on him.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Vegas wouldn't claim him because there will be similar DMen available for less, and, if they WOULD, I think Ottawa would offer something up to make sure it doesn't happen. Simple fact is, he is the least likely of our guys to get claimed out of him, Karlsson, Ceci and Methot. That's no indictment on him.

They need to build a team for the future. Do you think they are just going to take old guys? If Dion is available they probably will take him to help them hit the cap floor as well.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
I think players like Phaneuf, Girardi and Bieksa that have no chance of being claimed in the expansion draft will waive their NMCs to help out their teams. (and Bieksa may do it so he doesn't get bought out)

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think players like Phaneuf, Girardi and Bieksa that have no chance of being claimed in the expansion draft will waive their NMCs to help out their teams. (and Bieksa may do it so he doesn't get bought out)

And why do they have no chance? I would pick a couple expensive contracts that have low actual dollars to hit the floor and then take youth wouldn't you? Lets do some maths... 7m Contract paid 5m actual dollars = Savings of 2m dollars to a new franchise Einstein. You know they have a cap floor right? That means the minimum they MUST spend on a team roster.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
And why do they have no chance? I would pick a couple expensive contracts that have low actual dollars to hit the floor and then take youth wouldn't you? Lets do some maths... 7m Contract paid 5m actual dollars = Savings of 2m dollars to a new franchise Einstein. You know they have a cap floor right? That means the minimum they MUST spend on a team roster.

Phaneuf's salary is 7, 6.5, 6.5 and 5.5 for the next 4 years, so you're exaggerating the salary to cap hit savings

Why can't Vegas just sign FAs on high AAV, low term deals instead of taking on expensive veterans to long term deals?

Or they could even just trade for players with high salary and low term

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Unless they're picking all cheap guys, I don't think Vegas will have a problem hitting the floor. I thought so too at first, until I starting putzing around with the expansion tool, and realized $$ adds up surprisingly quick. Alot of times, I find myself making adjustments to get back under the ceiling.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
why would Phaneuf waive his NMC for expansion? There's a good chance Vegas would take him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
why would Phaneuf waive his NMC for expansion? There's a good chance Vegas would take him.
There is a belief that while Vegas may take a couple poor contracts, they will be shorter term ones. Dion at 7 million for 4 more years might be too much for them.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

I would imagine they don't. I mean anything is possible, but that contract will probably scare them away. No sense in picking a guy like Phaneuf because there's a good chance you wouldn't be able to trade him if things don't work out. I imagine there will be some good options for them on defence too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad