Sep 24, 2014
CURRENT CONTRACT
LENGTH: 7 YEARS
SIGNING TEAM: Toronto Maple Leafs
VALUE: $49,000,000
SIGNING DATE: December 31, 2013

You knew about Las Vegas back then? :amazed:

:

So NMC's have only ever been signed for Vegas expansion? The main reason he may have bargained this is that he didn't want to be sent to the minors near the end of his career. My understanding of NMC's means the player gets protection from this.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
He has an NMC ... which is what this thread is really all about and a M-NTC.

The thread title is wrong. The discussion is about him waiving his NMC to be exposed to expansion.

Can you post some details on this so-called NMC Phaneuf has. Every where i look all i can find is a NTC. No mention of a NMC.

I found out what i was looking for.It seems that Phaneuf has a NMC ,not a NTC.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Can you post some details on this so-called NMC Phaneuf has. Every where i look all i can find is a NTC. No mention of a NMC.

I found out what i was looking for.It seems that Phaneuf has a NMC ,not a NTC.

for you sure :laugh:

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/senators

http://www.hockeyinsiders.net/2017/02/08/report-dion-phaneuf-will-be-asked-to-waive-nmc/

regardless the waiving his NMC is required to be exposed for expansion. His M-NTC lists 10 teams where he can be traded to. There is no speculation of having him waive that, nor are the Sens looking to trade him.

Senators agreed to retain the m-ntc after the trade as per Cap Friendly who quote Friedman

Last edited:

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Huge risk for Ottawa. If Vegas agrees to pass him over for a pick, then it's fine, if they don't it sucks for Ottawa as they'd be right back in the hunt for a top 4 defender pretty much exactly like Phaneuf.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Sens don't want phaneuf anymore. They aretrying to spin it that they want phaneuf and want t build with him and the other dmen just in case vegas doesn't pick him up.

They are hoping vegas needs to spend to get their cap dollars up and sell it that Phaneufs actually money is less than his cap hit.

Phaneuf has been awesome for the Senators. You're just trying to stir the pot.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Phaneuf or Ryan would be big gambles for Vegas. I think they will probably have the cap room, but I'm not sure they want to risk.

Assuming they're both exposed, the only other significant players Ottawa would have to expose would be Lazar and Wideman. Lazar was a great prospect but the shine has worn off and Wideman is a 27 yr old bottom pairing defender. He might still push for a top-4 role, but Vegas will have a lot of better options, IMO.

Ottawa is looking more and more protected. Even if Ryan or Phaneuf is taken, Ottawa has some internal options to replace them and they could definitely use the salary for some re-signings.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Sens don't want phaneuf anymore. They aretrying to spin it that they want phaneuf and want t build with him and the other dmen just in case vegas doesn't pick him up.

They are hoping vegas needs to spend to get their cap dollars up and sell it that Phaneufs actually money is less than his cap hit.

Watch a few Sens games "neutrally" (i.e. without Sens or Phaneuf bias/hate) and you will see that your comment is totally ridiculous.

How the hell does Phaneuf have a NTC?

166 NHL players have a NTC or NMC this year...

Vegas just paid $500M for a franchise. I don't see how they don't pick him and trade him with 50% retained. At 3.5M, I would think he should fetch a decent return.

I could totally see Vegas willing to take Phaneif and flip him at 50% retention for a nice package. By the time they are good that dead cap space will be gone.

50% of the rest of Phaneuf's contract is 12.75 M$. It is a LOT OF (REAL) money. It wouldn't be 500 M$ but 512.75 M$ then...

So NMC's have only ever been signed for Vegas expansion? The main reason he may have bargained this is that he didn't want to be sent to the minors near the end of his career. My understanding of NMC's means the player gets protection from this.

I was talking about your specific comment "This would have been something he bargained for during his contract talks"

We didn't know about a LV expansion 3-4 years ago. Of course, he doesn't HAVE TO waive his NMC, it would be a big service to help the team he plays for. That being said, I'm sure both Ottawa and Phaneuf would want some kind of security that LV wouldn't take him. No idea what it would cost and how it would be negotiated though

I understand why the Sens would want to do this. Just not sure why they would ever think a hockey player/businessman would ever want to help them with that. Not happening.

Why not? Of course Phaneuf might want some security that LV wouldn't take him but if he can help his team, he might just do it.

I would laugh if Vegas takes Dion in spite of Ottawa doing this.

It's a risk worth taking, at least they wouldn't lose Methot at 4.9 for 2 more years. And like I said, a verbal agreement that LV won't take him will probably be negotiated.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
Watch a few Sens games "neutrally" (i.e. without Sens or Phaneuf bias/hate) and you will see that your comment is totally ridiculous.

166 NHL players have a NTC or NMC this year...

50% of the rest of Phaneuf's contract is 12.75 M$. It is a LOT OF (REAL) money. It wouldn't be 500 M$ but 512.75 M$ then...

I was talking about your specific comment "This would have been something he bargained for during his contract talks"

We didn't know about a LV expansion 3-4 years ago. Of course, he doesn't HAVE TO waive his NMC, it would be a big service to help the team he plays for. That being said, I'm sure both Ottawa and Phaneuf would want some kind of security that LV wouldn't take him. No idea what it would cost and how it would be negotiated though

Why not? Of course Phaneuf might want some security that LV wouldn't take him but if he can help his team, he might just do it.

It's a risk worth taking, at least they wouldn't lose Methot at 4.9 for 2 more years. And like I said, a verbal agreement that LV won't take him will probably be negotiated.

Just one question?
I don't know the answer but wouldn't that be considered tampering if you talk to LV before hand to get some kind of verbal agreement?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Just one question?
I don't know the answer but wouldn't that be considered tampering if you talk to LV before hand to get some kind of verbal agreement?

That's where my "expertise" ends... and that's why I have said : "No idea what it would cost and how it would be negotiated though"

In previous expansion drafts, there was "verbal agreements" negotiated.

However, I have no idea when and what they would have to give up for that "verbal agreement"

DSJW

Jun 29, 2016
Phaneuf is useless. So happy he is out of Toronto!

Wow!You are so clever and witty!How are you not on a hockey panel on TV somewhere instead of trying to troll an online hockey forum? If you are going to try and troll for the love of God you have to do better than that :help:

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013

That is 12.75M over four seasons. To put this into context, most NHL teams will spend in the neighbourhood of 280M+ over that time frame. It's almost a drop in the bucket.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Just one question?
I wonder if it's tampering if Pierre Dorion calls George McPhee and asks him not to claim Phaneuf (If he agrees to waive his no move for the expansion draft) just so Ottawa doesn't have to expose Marc Methot and Cody Ceci who might get claimed. This way Ottawa ensures they won't lose anyone major off their roster.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
I wonder if it's tampering if Pierre Dorion calls George McPhee and asks him not to claim Phaneuf (If he agrees to waive his no move for the expansion draft) just so Ottawa doesn't have to expose Marc Methot and Cody Ceci who might get claimed. This way Ottawa ensures they won't lose anyone major off their roster.

That's what i would like to know.You think it would be but who knows.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012

Starting in March, Vegas can trade for draft picks to ensure just that sort of thing.

I suspect they will snag one or two picks as a result.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I doubt it's tampering... It may be against some rule specific to expansion but I don't think its tampering.

Please investigate and get back to us :)

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Phaneuf is useless. So happy he is out of Toronto!

Thanks for giving the Sens that useless player!

That is 12.75M over four seasons. To put this into context, most NHL teams will spend in the neighbourhood of 280M+ over that time frame. It's almost a drop in the bucket.

Then why are some posters on HF can't stop complaining one day about overpaid players?

I get what you mean, in the grand scheme of things, it's not a ton of money for them, but 12.75 M$ just to get a better return on Phaneuf might be seen as too big of an investment. Phaneuf at 3.5 for 4 years... How much do you think he returns?

Fabs

Dec 19, 2005

I would guess you protect and expose players first and only at a later date before the draft can you start such negotiations, but who knows.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Thanks for giving the Sens that useless player!

Then why are some posters on HF can't stop complaining one day about overpaid players?

I get what you mean, in the grand scheme of things, it's not a ton of money for them, but 12.75 M$ just to get a better return on Phaneuf might be seen as too big of an investment. Phaneuf at 3.5 for 4 years... How much do you think he returns?

It's not the money, it's the cap hit. Any way you do the math, a $7M player has got to be a very important piece on your hockey team, or else you're going to suffer somewhere else. That extra 3.5M basically lets you add one more high end player to your roster.

To be honest, if Phaneuf did get plucked by LV, I think Ottawa could be pretty happy with how the trade worked out. Lindberg and a 2nd round pick is a very cheap price to pay for two potential playoff runs with Phaneuf (didn't work out last year but that's life.) On top of that, they got rid of a bunch of dead contracts, and losing Phaneuf means not losing anyone else.

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
It's not the money, it's the cap hit. Any way you do the math, a $7M player has got to be a very important piece on your hockey team, or else you're going to suffer somewhere else. That extra 3.5M basically lets you add one more high end player to your roster.

To be honest, if Phaneuf did get plucked by LV, I think Ottawa could be pretty happy with how the trade worked out. Lindberg and a 2nd round pick is a very cheap price to pay for two potential playoff runs with Phaneuf (didn't work out last year but that's life.) On top of that, they got rid of a bunch of dead contracts, and losing Phaneuf means not losing anyone else.

Or you can look it as losing our 2nd/3rd best dman for nothing, albeit being about 2 million overpayed. I can guarantee that as a team that sees its window as opening and closing within the next 5 or so years, they don't wanna lose a player that has made significant contribution in helping their previous weakness

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Or you can look it as losing our 2nd/3rd best dman for nothing, albeit being about 2 million overpayed. I can guarantee that as a team that sees its window as opening and closing within the next 5 or so years, they don't wanna lose a player that has made significant contribution in helping their previous weakness

What?

I'm talking about what I think Vegas would do if Ottawa exposes him (grab him and trade him).

EDIT: You were probably referring to the back half of my post. The thing I was mainly discussing was that if Ottawa exposes him in hopes that LV doesn't bite on the contract, I don't think it will work. But I also talked about it from Ottawa's perspective so you were talking about that, and I take back my response.

Last edited:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I could totally see Vegas willing to take Phaneif and flip him at 50% retention for a nice package. By the time they are good that dead cap space will be gone.

good point. Vegas will have loads of cap space and probably understands that a Bobby Ryan or Dion Phaneuf @50% is worth a lot more than a borowiecki/lazar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad