TSN: Ottawa to ask Phaneuf to waive NTC

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I was just watching a clip on TSN Go about Nylander/Montour and noticed the news ticker on the wall saying that Ottawa was going to ask Phaneuf to waive his NTC.

I haven't been watching him this year now that he's a Senator, is he worth anything on the trade market?

I mean, Toronto unloaded him in exchange for every dead contract Ottawa had...

To me that's a negative asset.

I'm assuming he hasn't improved his game in Ottawa.

What's the market for this guy?

SabresSociety

Jan 3, 2014
From what I read, I believe it's for expansion draft, rather protect Ceci and Methot instead of losing one

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
It's his NMC, and it's just so he can be exposed to expansion, not for a trade. At least that's what I gathered.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
If he was paid half as much to be a team #4 he would be great.

My guess is that it is in relation to the expansion draft. I can't imagine a trade that would make sense there. Not many teams can just eat 7m of cap and I dont see what teams would offer enough to get Ott to retain or want him enough to do so.

SensNation613

Dec 30, 2013
Ottawa
We want him to waive his NMC. There's honestly no interest in moving him since he's been great for this team. We want his NMC out of the way so we'll be able to protect Methot. Everybody knows Vegas wouldn't claim him in the ED due to his contract so he would allow us to retain our entire top 4 from being claimed. It has nothing to do with his play or future in Ottawa, it just makes a lot of sense to ask him to waive his NMC.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
From all indications, Ottawa is happy with Phanuef and his play. They want to keep him along with Methot and Ceci. Seems they believe exposing Phanuef maybe the best solution to keeping the top 4 intact. They aren't considering trading him.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Bryan Murray "hey Dion we are celebrating your one year with the Sens tonight...... by placing you on the trade block. So if you wanna hand in that list of teams anytime..... that'd be great"
Dion ""

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Dion has been just fine for the Sens.

The Sens don't want to lose Methot.

So they are willing to risk exposing Phaneuf due to the fact that Vegas is unlikely to choose him and his big contract.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I doubt he will waive it and risk being picked. The Sens offer the better chance at a Cup, which is what remains for his career.

Ottawa is going to have to pay Vegas in assets to not take Ceci or Methot.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Discussed ad nauseam on the main NHL talk board

General consensus is it was a good trade for both teams.

Not looking to trade Phaneuf.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Phaneuf has to go to another Canadian team...he just has to. It's too good to not make this happen.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Waiving his NMC is in relation to the expansion draft. As it is now, Sens have to protect Phaneuf which leaves them only 2 spots to protect Karlsson, Ceci, and Methot. Most likely if Phaneuf doesn't waive, Methot will be exposed.

The logic is that if Phaneuf waives, despite still being a solid top 4 defender, he won't be taken because he has a cap hit like a #1 guy for many years and is already in his 30s. Methot if exposed will probably be taken because he's at worst a very good veteran #3. He might even be one of the best defenders available in the expansion draft, I think TSN might have had him ranked #2 out of the expected exposed players a few weeks back.

The expectation that Phaneuf might waive would explain why Bruce Garrioch keeps on pumping up the idea that Vegas is high on Wideman. I have no idea why they'd take Wideman over Methot if Methot ends up being exposed, so perhaps Vegas' interest in Wideman exists because they expect Phaneuf to ultimately be exposed instead of Methot.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
The news ticker specifically said Ottawa to ask.

Not Toronto.

Has zero to do with a trade. It is almost certainly in relation to the expansion draft as Phaneuf has a NMC and Ottawa has 4 defenders they want to protect. Phaneuf waiving allows Ottawa to protect everybody because they can use 3 spots on Karl/Meth/Ceci and then one phantom spot on Phaneuf since Vegas almost certainly isn't taking on his contract.

ARoggy94

Dec 9, 2013
Ottawa
Waiving his NMC is in relation to the expansion draft. As it is now, Sens have to protect Phaneuf which leaves them only 2 spots to protect Karlsson, Ceci, and Methot. Most likely if Phaneuf doesn't waive, Methot will be exposed.

The logic is that if Phaneuf waives, despite still being a solid top 4 defender, he won't be taken because he has a cap hit like a #1 guy for many years and is already in his 30s. Methot if exposed will probably be taken because he's at worst a very good veteran #3. He might even be one of the best defenders available in the expansion draft, I think TSN might have had him ranked #2 out of the expected exposed players a few weeks back.

The expectation that Phaneuf might waive would explain why Bruce Garrioch keeps on pumping up the idea that Vegas is high on Wideman. I have no idea why they'd take Wideman over Methot if Methot ends up being exposed, so perhaps Vegas' interest in Wideman exists because they expect Phaneuf to ultimately be exposed instead of Methot.

Thanks for the explanation. Do you think he will waive it? It seems like a lot of risk for him to take on. I know he's a team first guy and I'm sure management explained the situation to him but I can't imagine he'd be happy risking exposure to Vegas after he and his wife have integrated in the community so well

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Thanks for the explanation. Do you think he will waive it? It seems like a lot of risk for him to take on. I know he's a team first guy and I'm sure management explained the situation to him but I can't imagine he'd be happy risking exposure to Vegas after he and his wife have integrated in the community so well

Only Dion Phaneuf knows whether he'd waive it or not. I think someone who puts a lot of stock into being a leader might be motivated to step up and waive the NMC in Phaneuf's shoes. But it comes down to whether he believes he'll be taken. Obviously, the Sens management wouldn't be asking him to waive because they are unhappy with his play. They would be asking him to waive because they think his contract is inflated enough that Vegas won't touch him.

I could imagine there'd be a lot of pressure for him to waive because the Senators defense has finally turned the corner and is looking like at least a solid top 4 for the first time in years. So the Sens either losing Methot to Vegas or having to trade Methot to leverage against the expansion draft would be a huge blow to the team as a whole. Losing Phaneuf would be a similar blow, but as said before, the logic is Vegas won't take him due to his contract.

OldMilIce

Apr 30, 2015
Niagara, ON
I'm not so sure that he will pass through the expansion draft if that's all it is for. I'm not sure who else Ottawa is going to expose, but if I'm Vegas and Phaneuf is on the board I would almost certainly pick him up.

He is a big, proven NHL defenceman who has proven that he can log big minutes and has a captaincy under him. This new team is going to want a leader, and while Phaneuf may not be Messier, he comes with experience playing under pressure and dealing with media scrutiny. Vegas isn't going to be a great team right away and he might be at least a steadying piece.

Also, every time I played with the expansion draft tool I had a harder time getting to the cap floor than I figured I would while still taking the players I most would have wanted. I'm assuming most of the players that vegas wants to take are younger, up and coming guys. Most of them have pretty reasonable contracts, so taking on one big one is an ok scenario I would think.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Yes, it's for the expansion draft.

No, it's not so he can be traded.

Ottawa finally has a decent top 4 and want to keep it intact through the draft. Vegas likely won't take him because of his contract.

Case closed.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I'm not so sure that he will pass through the expansion draft if that's all it is for. I'm not sure who else Ottawa is going to expose, but if I'm Vegas and Phaneuf is on the board I would almost certainly pick him up.

He is a big, proven NHL defenceman who has proven that he can log big minutes and has a captaincy under him. This new team is going to want a leader, and while Phaneuf may not be Messier, he comes with experience playing under pressure and dealing with media scrutiny. Vegas isn't going to be a great team right away and he might be at least a steadying piece.

Also, every time I played with the expansion draft tool I had a harder time getting to the cap floor than I figured I would while still taking the players I most would have wanted. I'm assuming most of the players that vegas wants to take are younger, up and coming guys. Most of them have pretty reasonable contracts, so taking on one big one is an ok scenario I would think.

Ryan is likely to be exposed, as is one of Dzingel and Lazar up front.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad