GDT: Ottawa Senators VS Chicago Blackhawks @ United Center, 02-18-19: The KaneCatStorm re-impulsion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
we all do, but look at that list - Cat and maybe 2-3 others might be the only 2nd line guys on the list..that list is covered with 1st line players, and I get that is your point but Cat is playing 2nd line and #1 power play, unless we want to start lowering Kane and Toews minutes, or completely eliminating our 4th line (trust me I think we should lol), not seeing where else he can go right now. many of those guys can pk as well, Cat unfortunately does not.

Totally get it, just wanted to point that out, that's all.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I think Sikura is starting to figure out the timing of the NHL. His effort has been fine.
agreed, I think he has been far more noticeable the past few games. still has a lot of room for improvement, but he can add some offense on that third line, his play away from the puck is not what keeps him up here, but he definitely has to be better at not giving the puck up in the neutral zone. just needs time to adapt and adjust, same with most of our kids.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
agreed, I think he has been far more noticeable the past few games. still has a lot of room for improvement, but he can add some offense on that third line, his play away from the puck is not what keeps him up here, but he definitely has to be better at not giving the puck up in the neutral zone. just needs time to adapt and adjust, same with most of our kids.

Do you think it’s significant in any way that he’s saying he may not be a top-6 player?

Do you think that means he’s committing to trying to be the best third liner he can be, or that he’s losing confidence in himself?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Do you think it’s significant in any way that he’s saying he may not be a top-6 player?

Do you think that means he’s committing to trying to be the best third liner he can be, or that he’s losing confidence in himself?
I am not sure I understand, who is saying he may not be a top 6 player?

I think Sikura is trying to find his game/his style in a role that is a bit different than what he is used to. It takes these kids a bit of time going from the #1 line/big man on campus to having to rotate lines, not playing top minutes and having to adjust your skillset overall. I think we just need some patience here, I am not convinced of what he will be one way or the other, but I do know he is skilled enough to make it as a top 6 player, but many others have been that never made it either.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I am not sure I understand, who is saying he may not be a top 6 player?

I think Sikura is trying to find his game/his style in a role that is a bit different than what he is used to. It takes these kids a bit of time going from the #1 line/big man on campus to having to rotate lines, not playing top minutes and having to adjust your skillset overall. I think we just need some patience here, I am not convinced of what he will be one way or the other, but I do know he is skilled enough to make it as a top 6 player, but many others have been that never made it either.

Sikura is saying it about himself, according to Scott Powers.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Powers on Sikura:

“He said something really interesting, he goes, and basically he said it was a reality check. He goes, ‘Maybe I’m not a top-six player, maybe I’m a top-nine depth forward.’”
that is interesting, seems to be a player trying to figure out what he is/what he needs to do to stay in the NHL. Boqvist showed brutal honesty saying he was 2-3 years away from being a NHL player, so I don't see it as him losing confidence, more so Sikura trying to figure out what exactly he needs to be to help this team and stay up here.

Reactions: sugoi88

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
that is interesting, seems to be a player trying to figure out what he is/what he needs to do to stay in the NHL. Boqvist showed brutal honesty saying he was 2-3 years away from being a NHL player, so I don't see it as him losing confidence, more so Sikura trying to figure out what exactly he needs to be to help this team and stay up here.

That’s what I was thinking too.

Basically a comment like this could go either way, but I’m hoping it’s him saying he’s committing to doing more little things right to ensure he stays in the NHL.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
That’s what I was thinking too.

Basically a comment like this could go either way, but I’m hoping it’s him saying he’s committing to doing more little things right to ensure he stays in the NHL.

Sikura seems like he has some good offensive skill for the 3rd line, but he’ll have to work on his two way game in the offseason if he stays with the Hawks. He has a very slight frame, so it probably will not be physical play. But he can still work on his stick work and defensive awareness.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Sikura seems like he has some good offensive skill for the 3rd line, but he’ll have to work on his two way game in the offseason if he stays with the Hawks. He has a very slight frame, so it probably will not be physical play. But he can still work on his stick work and defensive awareness.

JC has softened his stance on Sikura but he has made it known what he thinks about soft play.
The softness in this team needs to be weaned out and Sikura could be a victim.

Last edited:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
JC has softened his stance on Sikura but he has made it known what he thinks about soft play.
The smurfness of this team needs to be weaned out and Sikura could be a victim.

There are bottom 6 spots up for grabs. We’ll have to see who wants it more and who actually puts in the work to seize those opportunities. As far as the smurf thing, that falls on Bowman to go outside of the organization and bring someone in.

Brandon Tanev is a UFA and someone I think we should offer a lucrative contract. Extremely physical but also has a lot of skill. He’d be a great addition.

#NHLJets coach Paul Maurice on why Brandon Tanev stays in the lineup over Jack Roslovic: "He can kill penalties and he can be really, really physical and he's very. very fast. There's a lot that Brandon brings. He's a heavy shot-blocker for us."

Last edited:

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
There are bottom 6 spots up for grabs. We’ll have to see who wants it more and who actually puts in the work to seize those opportunities. As far as the smurf thing, that falls on Bowman to go outside of the organization and bring someone in.

Brandon Tanev is a UFA and someone I think we should offer a lucrative contract. Extremely physical but also has a lot of skill. He’d be a great addition.

Tanev would be a terrific bottom-six addition.

Also, yet another example of a guy who is not huge, but also doesn’t play like a “smurf”

I feel like smurf should be viewed as more of a mentality, rather than a description of a player’s body size.

We need to add bottom-six guys who play more like Tanev, and less like “smurfs”

Last edited:

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I changed "smurfness" to "softness". A guy like Cat is small but not that soft.

Speaking of Cat. Hitting 30 goals at 21 years old puts him in pretty good company.

Agree with that use. Plenty of small guys play tough, and plenty of big guys play soft.

I’d rather have guys who play tough in the bottom-six than a bunch of random guys with big bodies. Hayden and Perlini have big bodies, and don’t make half the impact a guy like Tanev (listed at 180 pounds) makes.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Tanev would be a terrific bottom-six addition.

Also, yet another example of a guy who is not huge, but also doesn’t play like a “smurf”

I feel like smurf should be viewed as more of a mentality, rather than a description of a player’s body size.

We don’t need add bottom-six guys who play more like Tanev, and less like “smurfs”

Smurf is definitely a mentality. Tanev brings a lot of what Shaw brought to this team. And once you get one guy playing that way night in, night out, it’s contagious for the rest of the team.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Blows my mind that people can go from thinking a young player is great to rubbish in the span of one season.

Do people not understand it normally takes a while for young players to develop into NHL regulars?
Methinks you are missing the point and overanalyzing age.
nope, on here everyone jumps in the water after a solid 5 games or so or jumps off ship after a poor 5 games..no middle ground it seems anymore.
To be fair, I’ve never liked what I’ve seen of Sikura. I view him as much lower than most on here do.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Agree with that use. Plenty of small guys play tough, and plenty of big guys play soft.

I’d rather have guys who play tough in the bottom-six than a bunch of random guys with big bodies. Hayden and Perlini have big bodies, and don’t make half the impact a guy like Tanev (listed at 180 pounds) makes.
agreed, speed and grit is the new NHL, if you can find guys 6'3 that can do that like Wilson, Smith-Pelley, Tuch, etc etc then great, but a player like Tanev is exactly what a top team's bottom 6 should have unless they are just absolutely freaking loaded with skill like a few teams are.

idontusethisanymore

This is joshprost99
Apr 6, 2016
agreed, speed and grit is the new NHL, if you can find guys 6'3 that can do that like Wilson, Smith-Pelley, Tuch, etc etc then great, but a player like Tanev is exactly what a top team's bottom 6 should have unless they are just absolutely freaking loaded with skill like a few teams are.

Mr. Analytics won't be happy when he sees this post both praising "trash" Wilson (his words, not mine) and the fact that grit is good

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

Hawks need to add, bare minimum, two more bottom-six guys in the Tanev or Smith-Pelley mold, I think.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
To be fair, I’ve never liked what I’ve seen of Sikura. I view him as much lower than most on here do.
and that is fine, it is okay to not like a prospect or player for whatever the reason. my point is to not completely throw in a towel or try to assume that a player barely 15 games into his pro career (NHL) is exactly who he will be when this is a role he has been unaccustomed to the prior 3 plus years.

I personally did not like Forsling much at all last year when everyone else was telling me I was missing something- I just didn't see it. Now this year, he is looking like the player more and more I saw, so maybe you are right with Sikura and he looks like Forsling did for me last year, but Sikura could also play like Gus and completely exceed everyone's expectations next year...people just need to be open to either scenario/many in between as well.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Hawks need to add, bare minimum, two more bottom-six guys in the Tanev or Smith-Pelley mold, I think.
it depends on who moves out obviously and where this team truly sees Kampf as.

I think our top 9 is pretty set right now if the team wants to keep rolling with Sikura, and if they dare go after Panarin then all bets are off.

If we move out AA then whatever comes back might slot in there or Kampf when he returns. That leaves the 4th line completely open and we agree that we need upgrades there. I do think Barratt can slot in right away next year in that role, maybe we want him to have a lot of minutes and learn the pro game so he starts in the AHL, but he should be up next year at some point to add that energy/speed like Shaw did years ago. I am okay over paying on a shorter term for a guy like Tanev, this team needs that not only for our 4th line but for our pk as well- dude is awesome out there in both roles, literally noticeable in every Jets game I watch and in a good way.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad