GDT: Ottawa Senators VS Chicago Blackhawks @ United Center, 02-18-19: The KaneCatStorm re-impulsion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
it depends on who moves out obviously and where this team truly sees Kampf as.

I think our top 9 is pretty set right now if the team wants to keep rolling with Sikura, and if they dare go after Panarin then all bets are off.

If we move out AA then whatever comes back might slot in there or Kampf when he returns. That leaves the 4th line completely open and we agree that we need upgrades there. I do think Barratt can slot in right away next year in that role, maybe we want him to have a lot of minutes and learn the pro game so he starts in the AHL, but he should be up next year at some point to add that energy/speed like Shaw did years ago. I am okay over paying on a shorter term for a guy like Tanev, this team needs that not only for our 4th line but for our pk as well- dude is awesome out there in both roles, literally noticeable in every Jets game I watch and in a good way.

Would it make sense to sign both Tanev and DSP to shorter overpay deals to be our 4th line wingers?

Reactions: AmericanDream

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
and that is fine, it is okay to not like a prospect or player for whatever the reason. my point is to not completely throw in a towel or try to assume that a player barely 15 games into his pro career (NHL) is exactly who he will be when this is a role he has been unaccustomed to the prior 3 plus years.

I personally did not like Forsling much at all last year when everyone else was telling me I was missing something- I just didn't see it. Now this year, he is looking like the player more and more I saw, so maybe you are right with Sikura and he looks like Forsling did for me last year, but Sikura could also play like Gus and completely exceed everyone's expectations next year...people just need to be open to either scenario/many in between as well.
Fair enough. I just think he’s a tweener in the NHL...probably not good enough for the top six where he belongs, likely not possessing the physical tools for a bottom six role.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Fair enough. I just think he’s a tweener in the NHL...probably not good enough for the top six where he belongs, likely not possessing the physical tools for a bottom six role.
and that will be his dilemma, and I agree he is in a limbo spot right now, I am very interested to see what he develops into though.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008

Agree, I don't see it with him. He's slight, 23 already (not 18,19,20,21 or 22 but 23) not special away from the puck and really not that nifty with the puck.

I don't see what his game would be up here.:(
Hoping I'm wrong.

Reactions: pvr

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Would it make sense to sign both Tanev and DSP to shorter overpay deals to be our 4th line wingers?
I would, but I think Tanev will have a lot of suitors for him, he is going to get paid a fair amount. Smith-Pelley would be a one year deal type guy for me, don't want to clog up our bottom 6 with multi year deals- only problem is I think he gets more than that in the open market...

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I would, but I think Tanev will have a lot of suitors for him, he is going to get paid a fair amount. Smith-Pelley would be a one year deal type guy for me, don't want to clog up our bottom 6 with multi year deals- only problem is I think he gets more than that in the open market...

Who are some other guys around the league that you see playing a similar game/having a similar impact that could be acquired through FA or trade?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Who are some other guys around the league that you see playing a similar game/having a similar impact that could be acquired through FA or trade?
I honestly haven't looked deep into it yet, more focused on the top names and not the bottom guys..I am sure once the deadline passes we will have a better feel for this group and then I will start looking at what else is out there or will be.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
To be fair, I’ve never liked what I’ve seen of Sikura. I view him as much lower than most on here do.

I don’t get the Sikura fascination either, to me he hasn’t shown anything that tells me he will be great in the NHL, usually you get flashes of brilliance from a young player here and there but I just don’t see it out of Sikua and he’s not exactly young as a forward, his window is closing fast.

Reactions: LDF

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I honestly haven't looked deep into it yet, more focused on the top names and not the bottom guys..I am sure once the deadline passes we will have a better feel for this group and then I will start looking at what else is out there or will be.

Do you think Caggiula can be a Tanev-type fourth liner, or do you think he belongs higher in the lineup?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Do you think Caggiula can be a Tanev-type fourth liner, or do you think he belongs higher in the lineup?
I think we are asking for trouble if we think he is going to be able to perform/stay on the top line his entire time here. For now, he fits that role well, but we know how that fades over time. My lineups typically have him dropping to 3rd line/4th line when I add a Dzingel or Panarin/whoever. I think that a 4th line of - Caggiula - Kampf - Barratt would be the most exciting line we could ice as a 4th line IF we were able to add another top 6 player...

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I think we are asking for trouble if we think he is going to be able to perform/stay on the top line his entire time here. For now, he fits that role well, but we know how that fades over time. My lineups typically have him dropping to 3rd line/4th line when I add a Dzingel or Panarin/whoever. I think that a 4th line of - Caggiula - Kampf - Barratt would be the most exciting line we could ice as a 4th line IF we were able to add another top 6 player...

We could just bump Saad up to the top line, and add a good 3rd line winger in free agency, that way we’re not spending big on a top-6 guy

Reactions: AmericanDream

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
I would love brandon tanev for our bottom 6. He always impresses me when i watch the jets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad