GDT: Ottawa Senators vs Carolina Hurricanes | Feb 7th, 7:30pm | SNet-E |No idea for title.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Be patient with Da Costa. Maclean is smartly easing him into the NHL.

Also, was Karlsson told to be more aggressive on the offense? He joins/starts the rush a lot more than last season. Perhaps because of Spezza?

General Granny*

I didnt think Neil can top his last years performance but he is looking much much better, leads the forwards in shots and is tied in forward goals. He is excelling under Mcstache's system.

You guys see thay sweet move he pulled on the left wing to protect the puck in and shot it with his backhand.

WhiteLight*

Glad to hear Lundin played well. Heard nothing but good things about him from Bolts fans on HF.

He wasn't good.

At best, he's a body that neither hurts or helps you. There were some bad moments tonight, hopefully that's due to being his 1st game.

He's certainly worse than Wiercioch and most likely Borowiecki.

WhiteLight*

Anderson was better than "not bad"

At the start of the season, he was playing like Cam Ward did tonight.

Now he's just been decent. Maybe that's due to fatigue. The Sens can afford to find out with Lehner in the system.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
He wasn't good.

At best, he's a body that neither hurts or helps you. There were some bad moments tonight, hopefully that's due to being his 1st game.

He's certainly worse than Wiercioch and most likely Borowiecki.

Does anyone not suck on the Sens?

WhiteLight*

Does anyone not suck on the Sens?

Karlsson. Best player in the world

Alfie and Turris.

Gonchar. Anderson. Michalek most of the time. Condra. Regin. Phillips most of the time. Zibanejad :yo:

etc.

Lundin sucks. 6/7 D

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Must win this in OT. The shootout equals an automatic loss with this team.

It was true in the first few years of the shootout but this has changed over the years...

Sens were 6-4 in 2011-12, 2-5 in 2010-11 and 5-5 in 2009-10

13-14 in the last 3 years

How has Mike Lundin looked?

A bit rusty, nervous and out of synch, but promising. He's going to stabilize things on the back-end

Yay...can't wait for 29 pages of "trade _____!!".

lol yeah, quick : find the scapegoats! There must be some, other teams are not worthy so it must be our "dead wood" screwing up!

If Karlsson and Met hot could play 40mins a night our D would be fine. But they can't so we need another top 4 dman asap.

Not really... It's just that Anderson has been average the last 3 games and that our massive inexperience (outside of Neil, Phillips, Alfredsson and Gonchar) really shows at times. We have one of the youngest teams in the NHL

Mac will also realize that the best defense we can have this season since Cowen is injured, would be :

Methot-Karlsson
Wiercioch-Gonchar
Phillips-Lundin
Benoit

What is that now, 2 goals caused by Philips pinching in now?

lol it's really not as simple as you seem to think... but maybe that's all your hockey mind allows you to understand for this level of hockey.

Regin is an AHLer... so 3rd liner for us I guess.

Is this serious? Regin was easily one of our best players tonight

Benoit lost the puck but he had his guy (Skinner). A forward completely forgot to backcheck and Phillips is just useless and made it a 2 on 0.

Since it's a team game, it's hard to blame only 1 player. Many things have to happen to result in a goal sometimes, and basically all the players on the ice were to blame on that play, Anderson too.

That's why the blaming game is so useless and ridiculous. It's entirely subjective to try and single out particular players. It's a lot more complicated than that, there's sophisticated systems in the NHL. Most of the time, it starts with a missed assignement from a forward, but it could also just be a chance created by a bad bounce.

Last edited:

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I think Regin made a good read on that play in the overtime. On a two on one you wanna look low on the short side. He had more room on the other side, but you gotta assume Ward is looking to slide. Its easier for a goalie to raise his arm, rather than lower it, especially when sliding. The only thing he could've done better was maybe throw in a head fake to make Ward show his hand. Overall, another solid game from him especially face-off wise.

Lundin was as I expected. Some people say hes slow, but I think thats more conditioning than ability.

Da Costa should move up. I think hes been good in the opportunities hes had.

And Im keeping track. That's the second overtime game where Benoit was the factor in the losing play. I admire the preservance, but hes too slow, too weak, and not good enough defensively. I think Boro should slot in for him and run Phillips-Boro to see if we can get Philly going.

General Granny*

Here comes Xspyrit to really drown us in his amazing hockey knowledge. Watch out guys, we are not worthy.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Also, was Karlsson told to be more aggressive on the offense? He joins/starts the rush a lot more than last season. Perhaps because of Spezza?
No. He does it for the giggles. We were beating the Sabres big time, and Karlsson was rushing anyways. Pretty sure he didn't rush much last year.

WhiteLight*

No. I was just annoyed with Regin so I called him an AHLer. Your always complaining about half the team being a whole bunch of sucks.

No I complain when they don't play up to their potential - Spezza and Greening mostly, and when people overrate them - Spezza, Methot, Michalek and Neil mostly, and formerly Latendresse.

That doesn't mean I think they're bad players (well except maybe Latendresse).

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Am I reading this right?

Z. Smith's faceoffs: 17-6 that's a 74% success rate. :amazed:

Turris not so good tonight: 5-13 for 28% rate

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Here comes Xspyrit to really drown us in his amazing hockey knowledge. Watch out guys, we are not worthy.

Hes been here since 2008 giving us amazing hockey knowledge, and so have others. I'm not sure what you're getting at here but we have too many posts where people over react and say things that don't make sense, someone has to have a sense of realism when they are posting and he seems to be one them.

Do you expect people to post here that don't have hockey knowledge because he's not the only one that does?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It's weird but no one talks about Alfie's stupid penalty that changed the outcome of the game (I think I saw 1 comment). I guess it's easier to be in denial and single out only 1 player on a particular play where several players are to "blame"

Lundin sucks. 6/7 D

lol no NHL player sucks as much as your flawed arguments and opinions.

No he wan't, he didn't have to make any tough saves, most of the shots were from the outside and the perimeter..

Sigh... I suggest you watch the freaking highlights :

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20122013,2,147&lang=en

There's like 20 saves from Ward out there...

Is it anger (because we lost a game) that makes your opinions/comments so flawed? I'm trying to understand how your reasonning "works"

lol not really, but just stop yapping like an annoying small dog for one second, maybe you'll start to see things differently...

The difference is not hockey knowledge, but just the ability to think deeper. Mental lazyness won't allow you to.

When you say things like "Did you watch the game?" after you said that Cam Ward only had easy saves, it makes me wonder how much biased you are in your observations... It seems really heavy

Our standards for defencemen are too high

Forwards : Alfie or bust
D-man : Karlsson or bust

It has become beyond ridiculous. I'm trying hard to temper things down, it is getting really embarassing. It's like 80% of NHL players were crap. I wonder how those whiners look on skates...

Hes been here since 2008 giving us amazing hockey knowledge, and so have others. I'm not sure what you're getting at here but we have too many posts where people over react and say things that don't make sense, someone has to have a sense of realism when they are posting and he seems to be one them.

Do you expect people to post here that don't have hockey knowledge because he's not the only one that does?

Thank you.

I know I'm a bit "incisive" at times but I am challenging people's opinions. It's so easy to whine, complain, judge and criticize but I'm asking people to be able to back up their statements. If you criticize, it has to be deserved and constructive. NHL players are not crap and made it a lot more far than we did. We don't have to be jealous though.

And yeah, pretty much everyone who posts here regulary have a lot of "hockey knowledge". It's our passion and we spend a lot of time on it (probably more than we should :rolly:)

Conclusion : I wish people would be not as "extreme" with their opinions, but more tempered, "even keeled". The ups are too high and the downs are too low. Euphoria to suicide overnight is not a good thing.

Last edited:

WhiteLight*

So people ACTUALLY believe Lundin is more than a 6 or 7?

Only I would get called out for saying such a thing. god

Like when he was signed, it was general consensus among people who had actually heard of him that he was a 6/7.

The other half of the people had no idea what kind of player he was.

Bottom line is, he was playing in the top 4 tonight. He should not play there regularly.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Its far too early to make a proper assessment of Lundin. We need a suitable partner for Gonchar and with Cowen out there's a few guys in the running. I'm partial to Wiercioch but he has some issues in his own end. Phillips is too immobile to be paired with another greyed vet and Boro and Benoit are definitely bottom pairing guys atm. Right now, Lundin looks like he's the best option. Let's at least give him a chance. He seems quick enough and smart enough for the role but time will tell whether he's another 6/7 guy or a capable top 4 defender.

He's a welcome addition nonetheless.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Not a good game from Phillips... He was awesome against the Sabres but not in this one. IMO, it's his second "bad game" this season (with against Tampa), he has been fine outside of that

Like when he was signed, it was general consensus among people who had actually heard of him that he was a 6/7.

Bottom line is, he was playing in the top 4 tonight. He should not play there regularly.

That's not false... but he also just got back from injury, playing for a new team, in a new system, with new partners. Also, hasn't played NHL hockey in a while and not a lot in the last few seasons.

It's just that drawing conclusions after 1 freaking game is borderline insane. I hope you can realize that just a bit.

IMO, Lundin can easily be a reliable 3rd paring/PK D-man for us. A 3rd pair of Phillips-Lundin should be good.

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Gonchar
Phillips-Lundin
Wiercioch/Borowiecki

That defense would be good (since it's already decent without Cowen : I mean look at the goals against)

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Lundin looked fine. Leave it to Mandy though to throw out hyperbole after one game.

Oh yeah, and we overrate Spezza rofl

So sad to see us lose tonight. Shouldn't have happened.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com

Bolts fans were saying solid bottom-pairing guy who can fill in on your top-4 when an injury hits. Add rust (and coming off injury) and you shouldn't expect him to blow you away on the 2nd pair.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Meh, his ceiling is a solid #5 defenceman, IMO. You're not too far off. No sense in arguing between a 5 and a 6.

And I think he's the kind of safe player who can handle spot-duty in a top-4. I wouldn't want him there all year mind you, but if injuries hit (like they have to us), you know he won't do much to screw you up on a 2nd pair... the problem is he won't do too much with the opportunity, either.

He's the untimate "safe" player. Won't kill you in any one area, but won't ever "break out" regardless of the opportunity given. He's a nice guy to have in your bottom pair "just in case"... but he isn't much more than a bottom pair guy.

I liked his game a HELL of a lot more than either Lee or Gilroy from last year, though (and he's more skilled than Carkner ever was while he was here, though clearly doesn't play with the same edge). He's clearly an upgrade over the both of them. So there's that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad