GDT: Ottawa Senators vs Carolina Hurricanes | Feb 7th, 7:30pm | SNet-E |No idea for title.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Incredible game tonite guys, really a shame someone had to lose :nod:

I thought we were done after 2, but fortuanetley Cam was in beast mode. Good luck the rest of the way, except of course for that one nite in April :)

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
lundin was fine. The problem, as it will be most of this year, was our offense. Peppering the goalie with perimeter shots only works if you have players going to the net.

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
Its funny, there always seems to be a team that you can't beat no matter how hard you play. Senators stomp all over Florida but can't seems to solve Carolina. Reminds me of Edmonton playing the Hawks last year; I think those where the only games Edmonton won. Can't be too upset, got one point out of it.

take a peek

Mar 4, 2007
super entertaining game. Played well agianst a strong Carolina team. Deserved a better fate but Ward played well adn so did Caroline top players.

Anderson and Karlsson doing their thing.

Da costa playing really really well, would be nice to see him with some more skilled guys.

Thought Gonchar, Methot and Regin stood out with strong games

Zibanejad and Silfverberg also looking better and better....young, fresh and not quite there yet but good.

Lundin was shakey for sure, we will see about him.

Phillips, yeah well not his best game.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I have absolutely no idea what Phillips was doing on that first goal. Does he fancy himself a goal scorer now or something? Just a truly bizarre play from him.

Anyway, other than 2 miscues (other being Alfie's penalty) we played a tremendous game and it was nice to see us play that well. Lets get a W Saturday and keep rolling.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
So people ACTUALLY believe Lundin is more than a 6 or 7?

Only I would get called out for saying such a thing. god

Like when he was signed, it was general consensus among people who had actually heard of him that he was a 6/7.

The other half of the people had no idea what kind of player he was.

Bottom line is, he was playing in the top 4 tonight. He should not play there regularly.

which one were you?

alfie looked retired up until a few games ago. this was lundin's first in a long while without training camp and he was fine. let's hold off on the dumb posts for now

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa

Like when he was signed, it was general consensus among people who had actually heard of him that he was a 6/7.

Bottom line is, he was playing in the top 4 tonight. He should not play there regularly.

When I've seen Lundin, which granted was a handful of times, he was playing in about an unspectacular #4 capacity(kind of like Methot, except a bit less prevalent).

Do you know what his ATOI is the past few seasons he has played?

I liked the signing and am not shocked he is playing, I am more shocked there are fools calling him a #6-7, just like Marc Bottom Pairing Methot.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

The only reason people slotted him in the 6/7 spot is:
A) HF loves prospects
B) having not played much lately do to injuries, he was a bit of an unknown.

There were plenty of people out there who thought of him as more than a 6/7 guy, his coaches have been giving him over 20 mins a game for his last three seasons, so they seem to think higher of him than that.

Does he belong in the top four, maybe not, but he's closer to that than he is to sitting in the press box.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
super entertaining game. Played well agianst a strong Carolina team. Deserved a better fate but Ward played well adn so did Caroline top players.

Anderson and Karlsson doing their thing.

Da costa playing really really well, would be nice to see him with some more skilled guys.

Thought Gonchar, Methot and Regin stood out with strong games

Zibanejad and Silfverberg also looking better and better....young, fresh and not quite there yet but good.

Lundin was shakey for sure, we will see about him.

Phillips, yeah well not his best game.

I found Gonchar a tad bit rusty however I totally appreciate having him on this team hopefully just affects of the flu. I used to be on Gonchars ass to be better but he is just so poised and I believe he is a great mentor for our youngsters.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
No he wan't, he didn't have to make any tough saves, most of the shots were from the outside and the perimeter.

BTW not only is Karlsson the best dman playing right now but also the best player in the planet, call me homer I don't give a **** but what hes doing on the ice I see noone else in this league doing.

Cam Ward totally stole the game though...

I have to agree about Karlsson words can not explain how skilled that guy is.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I think Regin made a good read on that play in the overtime. On a two on one you wanna look low on the short side. He had more room on the other side, but you gotta assume Ward is looking to slide. Its easier for a goalie to raise his arm, rather than lower it, especially when sliding. The only thing he could've done better was maybe throw in a head fake to make Ward show his hand. Overall, another solid game from him especially face-off wise.

Lundin was as I expected. Some people say hes slow, but I think thats more conditioning than ability.

Da Costa should move up. I think hes been good in the opportunities hes had.

And Im keeping track. That's the second overtime game where Benoit was the factor in the losing play. I admire the preservance, but hes too slow, too weak, and not good enough defensively. I think Boro should slot in for him and run Phillips-Boro to see if we can get Philly going.

Not sure where all this "blame Philly" stuff comes from, other than bias, because overall Phillips has played well.

Last night both Benoit and Lundin had a difficult time handling the forechecking game of the Canes. This put additional pressure on both Phillips and Gonchar, which resulted in periods of running around in the defensive zone.

MacLean's system relies heavily on quick puck movement, the Canes countered by exposing Lundin and Benoit by dumping the puck into their respective defensive zones and utilizing a 2 man forecheck.

Boro would be similarly exposed IMO, though would handled the physical demands better than either Benoit or Lundin.

The simple fact is PW is the best fit given the Sens system, and it isn't a coincidence the Sens haven't lost with him in the line-up. IMO if it wasn't for contract issues there would be no doubt he would be a regular with Gonchar.

What the Sens need is a D to play the right side with Phillips that can move the puck reliably and has an edge to his game.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
The only reason people slotted him in the 6/7 spot is:
A) HF loves prospects
B) having not played much lately do to injuries, he was a bit of an unknown.

There were plenty of people out there who thought of him as more than a 6/7 guy, his coaches have been giving him over 20 mins a game for his last three seasons, so they seem to think higher of him than that.

Does he belong in the top four, maybe not, but he's closer to that than he is to sitting in the press box.

Not sure how you can come to this conclusion after one game in which he was definitely over matched on most of his shifts.

IMO he was rushed into playing before he was close to ready. It is my opinion this happened to allow for the demotion of Boro and PW, after last night those plans may have to be reconsidered.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Interesting stat about Carolina; they are 14-1-1 against the Northeast going back to just before xmas 2011. That's total domination.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Did you watch the game.

This is coming from a guy that just said Karlsson wasn't that great tonight.:laugh:

I was at the game and was not limited by the camera following the puck.

What I said was "Karlsson had a very average game by his standards, he bobbled the puck a lot tonight". This was very clearly the case.

The most glaring example was him fanning on a shot into an open net, I suppose you missed it. :shakehead

WhiteLight*

That's not false... but he also just got back from injury, playing for a new team, in a new system, with new partners. Also, hasn't played NHL hockey in a while and not a lot in the last few seasons.

It's just that drawing conclusions after 1 freaking game is borderline insane. I hope you can realize that just a bit.

IMO, Lundin can easily be a reliable 3rd paring/PK D-man for us. A 3rd pair of Phillips-Lundin should be good.

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Gonchar
Phillips-Lundin
Wiercioch/Borowiecki

That defense would be good (since it's already decent without Cowen : I mean look at the goals against)

And I said in my initial post about him, it was his first game, so hopefully he won't be as bad as he looked.

Like I said, at his best, he's a 6/7 who won't hurt you. He's just a plug, a body, that you can put in there and he won't cost you.

He was worse than that last night.

Lundin looked fine. Leave it to Mandy though to throw out hyperbole after one game.

Oh yeah, and we overrate Spezza rofl

So sad to see us lose tonight. Shouldn't have happened.

6/7 isn't a hyperbole. Also, you're are the undisputed heavy weight champion of hyperboles.

Bolts fans were saying solid bottom-pairing guy who can fill in on your top-4 when an injury hits. Add rust (and coming off injury) and you shouldn't expect him to blow you away on the 2nd pair.

Well I disagreed with them

I said 6/7 when he was signed (which is right in line with the salary and term he got). He didn't look like an NHL defenseman in this game.

Meh, his ceiling is a solid #5 defenceman, IMO. You're not too far off. No sense in arguing between a 5 and a 6.

And I think he's the kind of safe player who can handle spot-duty in a top-4. I wouldn't want him there all year mind you, but if injuries hit (like they have to us), you know he won't do much to screw you up on a 2nd pair... the problem is he won't do too much with the opportunity, either.

He's the untimate "safe" player. Won't kill you in any one area, but won't ever "break out" regardless of the opportunity given. He's a nice guy to have in your bottom pair "just in case"... but he isn't much more than a bottom pair guy.

I liked his game a HELL of a lot more than either Lee or Gilroy from last year, though (and he's more skilled than Carkner ever was while he was here, though clearly doesn't play with the same edge). He's clearly an upgrade over the both of them. So there's that.

He hurt the team last night. Good thing he was paired with Gonchar, Phillips might not have been able to cover for him.

Couldn't make a break out pass hardly, got dominated along the boards.

J. Staal and Skinner vs Lundin was a nightmare matchup

WhiteLight*

Karlsson: Franchise D, play him as much as he can tolerate
Gonchar: #3 D, solid offensively and defensively
Methot: #4 D, good physical skills but doesn't have the IQ or consistency to be a top pair D
Phillips: #4-5 D, makes mistakes at times which is not cool from your vet defensive d-man
Wiercioch: #4-5, looking good, hopefully he can be eased into more defensive responsibility
Borowiecki: #5-6, not as talented as Wier, but looking good, hopefully he can be eased in to more responsibility too
Benoit: #6-7, looks overwhelmed sometimes and needs to be sheltered from top 6 forwards
Lundin: #6-7, not as good offensively as Benoit but hopefully will be better defensively as he gets going

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not sure how you can come to this conclusion after one game in which he was definitely over matched on most of his shifts.

IMO he was rushed into playing before he was close to ready. It is my opinion this happened to allow for the demotion of Boro and PW, after last night those plans may have to be reconsidered.

To be honest, I came to that conclusion from watching about 20-30 of his games in T-bay (don't recall whether I ever saw him in Minnesota) , not just one game coming off an injury where he was clearly rusty. My opinion of him hasn't changed based on this one game. Maybe over the season it will, but right now I still see him as a solid bottom pairing guy who can sub in on the 2nd pair.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
no

when did I ever say the bolded?

never

pulling stuff out of ass - TSA

Your Kuba/Karlsson thread was a direct implication that you were crediting Kuba way too much and that he wouldnt be replaced on top pair. I'm not going to argue semantics with you. Its bad enough trying to convince you to watch more than one team if you are going to make baseless opinions.

Pulling out of ass? See Lundin, Mike #6-7 See Methot, Marc #5-7

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Your Kuba/Karlsson thread was a direct implication that you were crediting Kuba way too much and that he wouldnt be replaced on top pair. I'm not going to argue semantics with you. Its bad enough trying to convince you to watch more than one team if you are going to make baseless opinions.

I'm starting to wonder why people bother trying to debate with Mandy.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
MAK, you seem to be the minority arguing that Lundin was god awful. Most seem to think he was good, or at least played as expected considering his return from injury to a new team.

WhiteLight*

Never made a thread about that

All I said was that Kuba played like a legit 1st pairing D-man. That is all.

Kuba in 2011-12 was better than Methot is right now. That is true. Karlsson doesn't seem to have missed a beat, but Kuba was better than Methot is now.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Karlsson: Franchise D, play him as much as he can tolerate
Gonchar: #3 D, solid offensively and defensively
Methot: #4 D, good physical skills but doesn't have the IQ or consistency to be a top pair D
Phillips: #4-5 D, makes mistakes at times which is not cool from your vet defensive d-man
Wiercioch: #4-5, looking good, hopefully he can be eased into more defensive responsibility
Borowiecki: #5-6, not as talented as Wier, but looking good, hopefully he can be eased in to more responsibility too
Benoit: #6-7, looks overwhelmed sometimes and needs to be sheltered from top 6 forwards
Lundin: #6-7, not as good offensively as Benoit but hopefully will be better defensively as he gets going
By your standards half the teams in NHL don't have top pairing Defencemen.
Although I would give similar assessments if judging player career by one game that happened last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad