GDT: Ottawa Senators vs Carolina Hurricanes | Feb 7th, 7:30pm | SNet-E |No idea for title.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Great game! We got a point, but there were so many great things, Alfredsson is back at full Alfie-mode. Karlsson is god. Silfverberg was dominant at times. Just a great game. We lost a game we dominated. We have a good record, getting a point is ok, no need to be upset. Can't believe the negativity and calling out players.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Good game, but too many missed opportunities.

After scoring a brilliant goal, Old man Alfie with a rare brain fart delay of game penalty which turned out to be the turning point of the game. Once Carolina scored, Cam Ward went into beast mode.

The team can use more offence from Michalek though. The defensive game is there, the offence needs to come.

Philips had yet another atrocious game. Far too many these days from the regressing veteran. Him and Benoit looked iffy all night long.

Karlsson, was, well, Karlsson. The best player in the game today.

The team should keep up the tempo against the Jets in the next game. I feel it’s a matter of time before Silf becomes a regular contributor, while Zibanejad will also play a key part moving forward.

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
Whatever...we badly outplayed them had a couple bad breaks and still got a point out of it. No real point in being critical because they played really well and it could have gone the other way. Plus we got to see some exciting hockey.

Karlsson I thought looked a little tired by the OT period. Da Costa looked very creative. I would try him in Z Smith's spot.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
Anyone seen Michalek lately? Is he out with the flu or something? Talk about being a passenger..

He is playing like a solid 3rd pair defenseman. You don't notice him but he doesn't hurt you. Obviously the team needs more than that.

Bazel5

Apr 4, 2011
Although we got alot of shots on net Karlsson was responsible for 11, mostly from the blueline.

We definitely had many scoring opportunities including some posts, but a most of them were not quality shots,
mainly square to the chest Mike Fisher shots or delayed shots that gave Ward lots of time to prepare, making him look godlike.

Our boys definitely got the memo to put the pucks to the net more.
We just need that quality finisher which we are sorely lacking now.

King Karlsson

Gersei Chongar
Sep 30, 2011
He is playing like a solid 3rd pair defenseman. You don't notice him but he doesn't hurt you. Obviously the team needs more than that.

Well said. He really needs to step his offensive game up. Without Spezza its difficult to produce consistently and he's not really helping :(

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Good game, but too many missed opportunities.

After scoring a brilliant goal, Old man Alfie with a rare brain fart delay of game penalty which turned out to be the turning point of the game. Once Carolina scored, Cam Ward went into beast mode.

The team can use more offence from Michalek though. The defensive game is there, the offence needs to come.

Philips had yet another atrocious game. Far too many these days from the regressing veteran. Him and Benoit looked iffy all night long.

Karlsson, was, well, Karlsson. The best player in the game today.

The team should keep up the tempo against the Jets in the next game. I feel it’s a matter of time before Silf becomes a regular contributor, while Zibanejad will also play a key part moving forward.

Nope the best player in the game was Cam Ward.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
The Sens outplayed Carolina for most of the game, they outshot them by a ton, over 40 shots on net but Cam Ward was incredible tonight. They should have won, took it to overtime & at least got a point.

You're right, they should have taken it to overtime and received at least a point as well.

Wait a minute, didn't they done did that?

General Granny*

Nope the best player in the game was Cam Ward.

No he wan't, he didn't have to make any tough saves, most of the shots were from the outside and the perimeter.

BTW not only is Karlsson the best dman playing right now but also the best player in the planet, call me homer I don't give a **** but what hes doing on the ice I see noone else in this league doing.

Bigup

Stache consultant
Jan 25, 2013
Ottawa
That game was very entertaining. Just that ending.......

cosby-facepalm.gif

Bigup

Stache consultant
Jan 25, 2013
Ottawa
No he wan't, he didn't have to make any tough saves, most of the shots were from the outside and the perimeter.

BTW not only is Karlsson the best dman playing right now but also the best player in the planet, call me homer I don't give a **** but what hes doing on the ice I see noone else in this league doing.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagreeeed

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

No they weren't. He stole the game.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
A game we absolutely dominated...

I will say Benoit-Phillips doesn't work as there isn't enough speed to compensate for errors. Coach needs to pair either Benoit or Phillips with Weircoch.

Also, this is the Cam Ward Canada needs for Sochi.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Should have been Weircioch in there instead of Benoit. And that's not second guessing. I think PW has a really good future in the league. Benoit is getting his cup of coffee and passing through. Seems like a no-brainer to me that PW needs to be the one getting ice time.

Berserker*

a forward forgot to cover Harrison and Phillips was as usual, directing trafic whie being completely useless on te play.

I think it was Regin that forgot to cover Harrison. I'm not sure though, I would have to see a replay but Regn got back before Silfverberg and turned the wrong way.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Should have been Weircioch in there instead of Benoit. And that's not second guessing. I think PW has a really good future in the league. Benoit is getting his cup of coffee and passing through. Seems like a no-brainer to me that PW needs to be the one getting ice time.

The worse D on the ice was Lundin, while Benoit had a difficult time handling the heavy forecheck at times he was OK.

I do agree PW should be playing, but both he and Boro will be heading to Bingo for the same reason Lehner is there, contracts.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think it was Regin that forgot to cover Harrison. I'm not sure though, I would have to see a replay but Regn got back before Silfverberg and turned the wrong way.

Harrison wasn't Regin's man to cover, he was Phillips, but Phillips dropped. Regin was covering Benoit's side as he was caught, bad sequece of plays.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I thought Karlsson was the best he has ever been. Completely controlled the game when he was on the ice.

It's clear to me that Greening and O'Brien don't belong on this team, especially in this system. They kill plays all over the ice because of their poor hockey I.Q and lack of hands and puckhandling ability. I'd look to move Greening while his value is still somewhat close to what it was at the end of last year.

General Granny*

I thought Karlsson was the best he has ever been. Completely controlled the game when he was on the ice.

It's clear to me that Greening and O'Brien don't belong on this team, especially in this system. They kill plays all over the ice because of their poor hockey I.Q and lack of hands and puckhandling ability. I'd look to move Greening while his value is still somewhat close to what it was at the end of last year.

Obrien?

Hes the perfect 4th line forward, he has more goals than Michalek.

Greening I agree though.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Just got back from the game, the team played great. I seriously cannot complain about any area of their game. Play that way every game. Karlsson was incredible, Da Costa was dangerous, the second line as whole is so responsible and generally created a ton of offense. Cam Ward played an incredible game like Anderson has since the minute he became a Senator. We're usually on the other end of goaltending performances like that.

I'll single one player out, Mike flippin Lundin. I went in with no expectations and he won me over. Mobile defensemen are golden in Maclean's system and he is at home here in Ottawa. If he has more to give than what we saw tonight, Murray made his best signing since he took over. Lundin is unspectacular but solid as my crap after eating my mom's vegan meals.

Well played by Ottawa; well played by Ward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad