Pre-Game Talk: Ottawa Senators @ Chicken Wings October 23 (7:30 p.m. Eastern, 4:30 p.m. Pacific)

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I'm starting to think that this whole Alfredsson fiasco hit Karlsson pretty hard and he was/is pretty bitter about it. This might explain his nonchalant almost disinterested play so far.

source

Jul 13, 2008
I'm starting to think that this whole Alfredsson fiasco hit Karlsson pretty hard and he was/is pretty bitter about it. This might explain his nonchalant almost disinterested play so far.

I was impressed by his comments, and Spezza's as well. Didn't think much of what idiot Chris Neil had to say.

Slow Hands

The feels
Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa

I'm playing the insane, obsessive fan here, but damn if the idea of the Alfie fiasco negatively affecting our franchise defenseman's attitude towards the organization doesn't terrify me.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
I still think that this is why Alfredsson left.

Agreed. Why would Alf waste his last year playing for a team who doesn't take it seriously enough? Detroit's whole organization has mentality of winning every season, and it shows. That Pits comment said it all. He realized the team could do a hell of a lot better (as Boston clearly demonstrated), and got fed up with the "overachieving team, just enjoy yourselves out there" BS that he was probably hearing.

source

Jul 13, 2008
I'm playing the insane, obsessive fan here, but damn if the idea of the Alfie fiasco negatively affecting our franchise defenseman's attitude towards the organization doesn't terrify me.

Melnyk's spendthrift ways carried forward would do much more damage than what the "Alfie fiasco" has done. Murray has the capability to build a championship team before Karlsson's contract is up, but the question is whether Melnyk is willing to give him the means. If not, Karlsson will probably sign elsewhere.

source

Jul 13, 2008
what did Chris Neil say?

He had the opportunity to show a little respect when asked about playing Alfredsson, but basically shrugged off the situation as nothing, as if Alfredsson is just any other player. Not impressive coming from a guy who has been his teammate for 10+ years.

Milan the God*

He had the opportunity to show a little respect when asked about playing Alfredsson, but basically shrugged off the situation as nothing, as if Alfredsson is just any other player. Not impressive coming from a guy who has been his teammate for 10+ years.

Hmmm, interesting. I get where you're coming from, but Neil is a heart and soul player and I can see where he's coming from if he's upset Alfie's leaving. I know he should show respect for his time in Ottawa, but yeah, he's probably really bitter someone like Alfie would just suddenly leave the way it happened.

Milan the God*

Also, why couldn't the NHL schedule makers have made the first Red Wings - Sens game in Ottawa? Argh. I have tickets for the December 1st game but it would have been 10x more crazy if the game was sooner and the first meeting was in Ottawa.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I think Chris Neil was 100% correct in his comments about playing against Alfie. Many players know others from different teams because it is a pretty small group. Once the puck hits the ice there are no friends out there, and you play the same game that you always play.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
They do have good freinds on other teams-Hossa and Havlat and Chara etc.
it may be hardest for Karlsson:

“I’ll be over to see the family,” Karlsson says, smiling. “Hopefully we get in at a decent time (Tuesday afternoon).”
Karlsson can’t wait to see Alfredsson, wife Bibi and their four boys, Hugo, Loui, Fenix and William. He will have dinner with them and share stories about life in Ottawa and Detroit.
As much as it’s expected the team and its fans soldier on, stiff upper lip etc., Karlsson doesn’t mind expressing his honest feeling things aren’t the same here without No. 11.
“It’s different,” Karlsson says. “He’s been here as long as I’ve been here and even longer than that.
“It’s going well. I’m still a happy guy, although I miss him.”

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
i'm more or less over the initial shock of alfie leaving and going to detroit, but every once in a while reading about him and the red wings i get a little sick to my stomach. (detroit writers referring to him as alfie:cry:)

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
i'm more or less over the initial shock of alfie leaving and going to detroit, but every once in a while reading about him and the red wings i get a little sick to my stomach. (detroit writers referring to him as alfie:cry:)

Haha, I feel the same way.

I think its totally time to move on, but I don't want others to have him.

At the same time, I want to kick his butt on Wednesday (even though I don't have a good feeling about that).

I just am hoping the team doesn't get so emotional, and focuses on winning.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I hope Spezza lays out his biggest hit of his career on Alfredsson Wednesday.

KarlssonnSchultz

Feb 5, 2013
Ottawa
We will win, I think this is game 1 of Jason Spezza's legacy as the Sens captain. 4-2 win, Spezza with a goal and 2 assists, Karlsson also with two assists.

Alfie gets an assist but looks fairly average.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
We will win, I think this is game 1 of Jason Spezza's legacy as the Sens captain. 4-2 win, Spezza with a goal and 2 assists, Karlsson also with two assists.

Alfie gets an assist but looks fairly average.

I certainly hope you are not a heavy gambler.

Ahnotamoose

May 31, 2011
Montreal
Also, why couldn't the NHL schedule makers have made the first Red Wings - Sens game in Ottawa? Argh. I have tickets for the December 1st game but it would have been 10x more crazy if the game was sooner and the first meeting was in Ottawa.

Schedule was made before Alfredsson signed in Detroit (just was being finalized, hadn't been made public).

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
I thought it was the "alfie should blow his nose before I hit him so I dont get snot on my jersey" comment that people would be upset over.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
I thought it was the "alfie should blow his nose before I hit him so I dont get snot on my jersey" comment that people would be upset over.

He said he told Alfie that as a joke. No reason to get upset.

Sometimes players play harder against friends.

Liliaceae

hockey
Jun 21, 2007
Canada
Nothing. I think some stuff was left out or misread earlier in the thread. Neil's pretty clear they're still friends, but on the ice they see him as any other player.

WTF is the problem? He IS just another player.. on another team.. in our division no less. Should the Sens just lay down and let them win because of the almighty #11? **** that. :rant:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad