Pre-Game Talk: Ottawa Senators @ Chicken Wings October 23 (7:30 p.m. Eastern, 4:30 p.m. Pacific)

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Kassian should spend the day on the ice and the night on the bike eating salad and listening to classic music

Actually, Kassian is 12 times better than MacArthur, and should be playing on the 2nd line with Turris ;)

MacArthur is 0 for 24 shots, while Kassian is only 0 for 2 shots.:naughty:

Last edited by a moderator:

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/10/21...having-pre-game-dinner-with-daniel-alfredsson

Karlsson said people should respect Alfredsson’s decision, and he didn’t like the mud-slinging that went on.

“There’s not a lot of guys who have (played 17 years and went to a Stanley Cup final) for one organization,†said Karlsson. “Whatever decision he wanted to make, I think everybody should support him.

“That’s what I’ve been doing. Even though it sucks, and I want him to play here. At the same time, I’m very happy for him, and I know he likes it in Detroi

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Also, why couldn't the NHL schedule makers have made the first Red Wings - Sens game in Ottawa? Argh. I have tickets for the December 1st game but it would have been 10x more crazy if the game was sooner and the first meeting was in Ottawa.

Actually, I really like the first meeting being in Detroit. It gives the guys a game to get over the nerves and avoid most of a media and fan craziness.

Now, when the second game occurs in Ottawa, the guys will be a little more focused and it wouldn't be as big, at least for them. It basically sets us up for a better opportunity to get the win at home in December.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
I hope it goes to shoot-out, with Alfie as one of the shooters. He was stoned by Niemi in tonight's shoot-out loss against the Sharks. For such an offensive talent, Alfie is surprisingly weak on penalty shots...can't deke worth s**t

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It'll never happen, but I'd love to see Spezza and Alf drop the gloves. :yo:

Well, both have been in a few NHL fights.....

Alfredsson didn't fair too well in that one (and holy hell does he look young).

Spezza did a little better. Wish he still had this level of fire.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
As Captain, should he not have borne some responsibility for the alleged atmosphere of the dressing room?

1000x THIS. I am starting to get sick of all the "reasons" people keep insinuating about why he left Ottawa pinning it on the players that are still here. Are people not fans of OUR team?!? Why is it that this perceived laissez-faire attitude that was running rampant throughout our locker room NOT attributed to the captain. As captain, it's his job to corral the youth and develop that attitude of winning. Don't tell me that a 17 year veteran can't get some exuberant kids to settle down and focus on winning. If that's the case, he wasn't much of a captain anyways and we're better off without him trying to replace him with actual leadership.

I'm getting mighty sick of the deification of the false God that is Alfredsson.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
1000x THIS. I am starting to get sick of all the "reasons" people keep insinuating about why he left Ottawa pinning it on the players that are still here. Are people not fans of OUR team?!? Why is it that this perceived laissez-faire attitude that was running rampant throughout our locker room NOT attributed to the captain. As captain, it's his job to corral the youth and develop that attitude of winning. Don't tell me that a 17 year veteran can't get some exuberant kids to settle down and focus on winning. If that's the case, he wasn't much of a captain anyways and we're better off without him trying to replace him with actual leadership.

I'm getting mighty sick of the deification of the false God that is Alfredsson.

Alfredsson's 'leadership' was always overrated. He was a well respected player by his teammates, but he never seemed like much of a leader at any point.

This team will be better off moving forward.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
This, and the notion that "Alfie owes me" anything, are stances that I'd like to see obliterated from these boards.

He's a person. A person who didn't shoot your dog.

Agreed. Although it's hard not to get attached to players the reality is that hockey players have to do what they think is best for them. Loyalty is nice, but ultimately if he thinks that his career is coming to an end and he has a better chance at winning the cup somewhere else so be it. If he feels offended by his team and leaves because of that then so be it.

Skrymir

Jul 7, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Phillips out?

Sylvain St-Laurent ‏@Syl_St_Laurent 14m
Première rotation en défensive: Méthot-Karlsson, Cowen-Corvo, Wiercioch-Gryba. #Sens #ledroit

sensfandan

Aug 21, 2004
Ottawa
Phillips out?

Sylvain St-Laurent ‏@Syl_St_Laurent 14m
Première rotation en défensive: Méthot-Karlsson, Cowen-Corvo, Wiercioch-Gryba. #Sens #ledroit

I'm not surprised Wiercioch has lost his top-4 spot, he needs easier minutes to regain his confidence. Hopefully moving back to the left side will make him feel more comfortable too.

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
OMG! If Phillips sits and Wiercioch is in I'll regurgitate. I like some of PW's offensive plays BUT is a defensive disaster waiting to happen. Whoever he is with gets dragged down. This kid just needs to grow some *** nards , toughen up and play a BALANCED game. You don't need to fight to play tough and PW, at this point, is softer than puppy poop. I think Phillips is having a good year considering his age. The only other thing I would like to see is Karlsson's shifts shortened so that he plays at top speed when he's on the ice. Two+ minute shifts encourages on ice rest. Yes he WAS a Norris Trophy winner but overplaying him AT THIS POINT is not getting him back to that level.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Phillips being out probably means he can't play for whatever reason. I don't see them taking him out based on performance or relative performance...he's actually been one of the more consistent players on our team so far this year.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
As Captain, should he not have borne some responsibility for the alleged atmosphere of the dressing room?

I'm not judging one way or the other, I just think that this was his mindset.

You saw the frustration against Pittsburgh, the "probably not" comment regarding winning the series, grabbing the puck at the end, and talking about "making his decision" and not really referring specifically to retirement or staying with the Senators. It was oddly vague in retrospect.

He may have been a poor Captain in not being able to focus a young group of guys beyond the first round.

Or he may have been a tired and worn out Captain who didn't want to bother with it anymore and wanted to go somewhere where the winning mentality is so ingrained that it doesn't rely on him.

Feel free to pick either option.

However, I think the money thing is a smoke-screen/excuse for basically giving up on a team that he figured wasn't going to be ready to contend for a Cup while he was still able to play.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
I don't know how many people have met Neil, but at his core, he's a Sens fan.

I think that his comments are vindictive of this. He likely still feels scorned, and the fact that Alfredsson only allegedly spoke to Spezza, Karlsson and Phillips before he made his decision, likely doesn't help.

Look at the home opener against Minnesota from 2 years back, when Neil drilled Heatley. He was trying to do exactly what any fan would do in his situation.

I don't expect anything less against Detroit.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don't know how many people have met Neil, but at his core, he's a Sens fan.

I think that his comments are vindictive of this. He likely still feels scorned, and the fact that Alfredsson only allegedly spoke to Spezza, Karlsson and Phillips before he made his decision, likely doesn't help.

Look at the home opener against Minnesota from 2 years back, when Neil drilled Heatley. He was trying to do exactly what any fan would do in his situation.

I don't expect anything less against Detroit.

Agreed.

I don't think anyone loves the Senators quite as much as Chris Neil.

It's personal to him if someone were to reject them.

Some day he'll end up as a crazy poster on this board.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Agreed.

I don't think anyone loves the Senators quite as much as Chris Neil.

It's personal to him if someone were to reject them.

Some day he'll end up as a crazy poster on this board.

If he isn't already...:naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad