Pre-Game Talk: Ottawa Senators @ Chicken Wings October 23 (7:30 p.m. Eastern, 4:30 p.m. Pacific)

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Agreed.

I don't think anyone loves the Senators quite as much as Chris Neil.

It's personal to him if someone were to reject them.

Some day he'll end up as a crazy poster on this board.

What do you mean some day? ;)

Most NHLers these days at least check out these boards, and many do have accounts.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
1000x THIS. I am starting to get sick of all the "reasons" people keep insinuating about why he left Ottawa pinning it on the players that are still here. Are people not fans of OUR team?!? Why is it that this perceived laissez-faire attitude that was running rampant throughout our locker room NOT attributed to the captain. As captain, it's his job to corral the youth and develop that attitude of winning. Don't tell me that a 17 year veteran can't get some exuberant kids to settle down and focus on winning. If that's the case, he wasn't much of a captain anyways and we're better off without him trying to replace him with actual leadership.

I'm getting mighty sick of the deification of the false God that is Alfredsson.

:handclap:

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Must be hard for them as well as the other NHL'ers to stay silent when they see some of the absolute garbage written on here about them or the game itself

I have to assume that any NHL player that frequents these forums probably chalks up the idiocy of some trade rumours and scapegoating to the Pejorative Sluration of the masses.

Then they go bed on a big pile of money with many beautiful ladies.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
1000x THIS. I am starting to get sick of all the "reasons" people keep insinuating about why he left Ottawa pinning it on the players that are still here. Are people not fans of OUR team?!? Why is it that this perceived laissez-faire attitude that was running rampant throughout our locker room NOT attributed to the captain. As captain, it's his job to corral the youth and develop that attitude of winning. Don't tell me that a 17 year veteran can't get some exuberant kids to settle down and focus on winning. If that's the case, he wasn't much of a captain anyways and we're better off without him trying to replace him with actual leadership.

I'm getting mighty sick of the deification of the false God that is Alfredsson.

Two years ago the Sens were widely anticipated to finish last in the conference and last year they played most of the year without their top players.

Maclean attributed a lot of their success to the leadership of Alfredsson and he has done what you mention -corral the youth and get the kids to focus on winning.

The Sens team has been a rebuilding team full of rookies and AHL'ers for the past couple of years,. they are not a team of tested veterans like the Wings.

Stef*

No
Last year we knew with couldnt do **** on offense with all the injuries
Defense served us well
I dont know why we dont do the exact same thing plus karlson spez milan and anderson

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Two years ago the Sens were widely anticipated to finish last in the conference and last year they played most of the year without their top players.

Maclean attributed a lot of their success to the leadership of Alfredsson and he has done what you mention -corral the youth and get the kids to focus on winning.

The Sens team has been a rebuilding team full of rookies and AHL'ers for the past couple of years,. they are not a team of tested veterans like the Wings.

You're a little late to the conversation....someone insinuated that Alfredsson left because the guys in the room didn't care about winning. My point was, if that's why Alfredsson left, then that doesn't make him much of a captain if he couldn't get his team to focus.

The second part is me just being sick of hearing about Alfredsson. We won ZERO cups with him here, we've won ZERO since. It's not like him playing one more year here was going to make us a champion this season anyways so HK. Hoo Kares?

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
You're a little late to the conversation....someone insinuated that Alfredsson left because the guys in the room didn't care about winning. My point was, if that's why Alfredsson left, then that doesn't make him much of a captain if he couldn't get his team to focus.

The second part is me just being sick of hearing about Alfredsson. We won ZERO cups with him here, we've won ZERO since. It's not like him playing one more year here was going to make us a champion this season anyways so HK. Hoo Kares?

I couldn't agree more :nod:

Stef*

Exactly
And I dont like the fact kalrsson is defending him so much
It stinks
I have a bad feeling about this
I could easily see king karl asking to
Be trade to the swedish house team

And everybody knows how the sens handle such demand in the past:help:

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Exactly
'So much' must have different definitions. Karlsson simply asked people to respect his choice. Fair request.
He's signed here for a long while. Alfie grew up with those Detroit players and played with them on the national team. Not Karlsson.
Yashin for Spezza/Chara, and Heatley for Michalek. We seem to do well to outstanding.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I have to assume that any NHL player that frequents these forums probably chalks up the idiocy of some trade rumours and scapegoating to the Pejorative Sluration of the masses.

Then they go bed on a big pile of money with many beautiful ladies.

Lol, still must be hard...after a few pops especially!

Dysentery

Ottawa Senators
Sep 14, 2011
New Brunswick
Exactly
It stinks

This is what been pissing me off... Ever since Karlssons famous tweet about reminding Ottawa about what Alfie has done for the city.

Its just rubbing me the wrong way.

I know every reporter around is asking Karlsson about Alfie, I just wish he wouldnt say anything of meaning.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Exactly
It stinks

I wouldn't look too much into it. I think Karlsson is just a bit of a sourpuss. He's apparently very stand-offish in person, too. I don't think it will change his allegiance, and if it does then good riddance. I want players on the Sens that want to be there.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Exactly
It stinks

Dude, you need to chill the hell out. Of course he is going to defend him. They are great friends. What do you expect him to say? He is going to defend alfie no matter what being that true friends do NOT stab each other in the back.

Last edited:

Dysentery

Ottawa Senators
Sep 14, 2011
New Brunswick
Dude, you need to chill the hell out. Of course he is going to defend him.They are friends. He does not like the fans responses to him leaving.

It's unprofessional of Karlsson. Its why he was not considered for a letter. Karlsson should be defending Ottawa, or say nothing. Alfie is a big boy he doesnt need Karlssons help to mend Ottawa fans.

I dont want to hear about his dinner with Alfie...I want to hear that a bunch of the Sens guys went out together and bonded over some stupid ****. Karlsson will have all the time in the world to chill with Alfie during the Olympics, since its so important that he spends time with him.

King Karlsson

Gersei Chongar
Sep 30, 2011
It's unprofessional of Karlsson. Its why he was not considered for a letter. Karlsson should be defending Ottawa, or say nothing. Alfie is a big boy he doesnt need Karlssons help to mend Ottawa fans.

I dont want to hear about his dinner with Alfie...I want to hear that a bunch of the Sens guys went out together and bonded over some stupid ****. Karlsson will have all the time in the world to chill with Alfie during the Olympics, since its so important that he spends time with him.

Lmao what.. yeah Karlsson wasn't considered for a letter because he talked about having dinner with Alfie too much :laugh:

Gimme a break, you guys aren't in the dressing room, stop speculating about the underlying meaning of Karlsson's quotes. He tweets about going out for dinner with teammates all the time, why aren't you guys raving about that?

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa

Actually he was considered for the letter. And also, he just said it, so I doubt it had much influence on their decision a month ago.

You realize that Karlsson owe's a huge portion of his success to Alfredsson right?
The guy used to babysit his kids. Of course he is going to hang out with him when he can. He went from seeing him almost everyday of the year, to once in a blue moon.

Also, Karlsson isn't stand offish in person. He doesn't "get" the fame thing.

I've actually had him ask me why I wanted his autograph.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
He was not saying that the quote specifically is why he wasn't considered. He was saying that his maturity level and personality were, and that the quote was an example of that.

Also, Karlsson isn't stand offish in person. He doesn't "get" the fame thing.

I've actually had him ask me why I wanted his autograph.

Your experience might be different than others. Other people have found him stand-offish and have a 'better than you' attitude.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
But he was considered... Why must we assassinate Karlsson's character too?

Always the same people.

So what do we have so far:
Karlsson being distant at pubs, too good for you
Karlsson defending Alfie, sad, not interested when he plays

John Holmes*

The best was Peter Schaefer knocking Yashin on his ass in the playoffs.

Guy wasn't even here for the Yashin circi.

I loved that guy. Amazing how fast he went to ****.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
He was not saying that the quote specifically is why he wasn't considered. He was saying that his maturity level and personality were, and that the quote was an example of that.

Your experience might be different than others. Other people have found him stand-offish and have a 'better than you' attitude.

But he doesn't. Thats what I'm trying to say. I've met him probably 8-9 times, and he does a lot of charity work with my friend's GF. What some people interpret as stand-offish, is him being a little clueless.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa

Paul MacLean said Karlsson was considered, but that they decided he was too young.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'm not saying they're right or that you're wrong. However their interpretation of his personality is just as valid as yours. You're talking about seeing him in a completely different social setting than the others are. Not that I think anything of him because I don't know him, but people will act differently when dealing with charity and autographs than they will just out relaxing at night.

Anyway, this is silly and speculative. Unless Karlsson starts playing like garbage and requests a trade, or leaves, I think it's being a bit over-sensitive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad