GDT: Ottawa Senators at the Toronto Maple Leafs - 7PM - SN - Nightmare on Bay Street - Last Laughs of 2023

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Helmets back. Well deserved Korpse.

1703738166173.png

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Maybe 1 of those core players. But they would be really rolling the dice if they move "multiple" core players.
The CAP makes moving CORE players more difficult given that naturally, these top players hold the largest $ value contracts. That said, it would be nowhere near as difficult to move big $ players and get a similar in return if GMs weren't handing out no-movement-clauses (NMCs) like Pez dispensers! GMs snooker themselves and then complain about how hard it is to function in that construct.

Last edited:

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Dump Matthews, he's a scrub.
We were talking about the Sens core. But I did bring up the fact that the Leafs core hasn't won anything in the playoffs with generational talents. I would dump Marner before Matthews.

Senovision

May 23, 2011
The CAP makes moving CORE players more difficult given that naturally, these top players hold the largest $ value contracts. That said, it would nowhere near as difficult to move a big $ player and get a similar in return if GMs weren't handing out no-movement-clauses (NMCs) like Pez dispensers! GMs snooker themselves and then complain about how hard it is to function in that construct.
I wasn't saying move out multiple core players the "In the wings" guy was. I like our core. Maybe move one out.

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Dump Matthews, he's a scrub.
I'd label myself as rabid a Leafs team hater as many Sens fans, but I'd take Matthews (or Marner, or Nylander, or Taveres) on my team any day of the week. Great talented players all, though few players are 'perfect'.

The Leaf's issue, IMHO (in my hating opinion) is not any of those players but the fact they have all four forwards in a CAP system at the expense of a weak defence core and problematic goal tending. Coaching and systems may also be suspect, similar to what Ottawa has faced where the team has no idea how to play effectively as a team. Things breakdown very quickly when they can't win every run & gun game just by outscoring the opposition. This issue is evidenced by their lack of playoff success where individual skills can't overcome well coached teams that easily shut them down and expose defensive flaws.

Last edited:

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
I wasn't saying move out multiple core players the "In the wings" guy was. I like our core. Maybe move one out.
Sorry, I wasn't implying you did, just commenting on the general difficulties of moving core players. Don't disagree with you about moving one, or even more. It can be done but difficult to find a matching dance partner - not easy given CAP issues and NMCs mentioned.

Ottawa may have an easier time doing so than Toronto, moving a core player, because generally theirs are younger and have less NMC restrictions in play. Toronto would find it more difficult because of NMCs and larger dollar amounts. IMO, one of those 4 top TO guys has to be moved if they want to better balance their team... so I really hope they don't or can't! ;-)

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
We were talking about the Sens core. But I did bring up the fact that the Leafs core hasn't won anything in the playoffs with generational talents. I would dump Marner before Matthews.

The Leafs don't have a generational talent. Our generational talent is McDavid.

Matthews is a legit franchise player and a great one. He's added some excellent defense to his game as well. Amazing player but not generational.

Marner is a really good player who needs a change of scenery/attitude. Good two-way guy (when engaged) and very creative. But at $11M he's tough to move. They're locked in until Tavares's contract ends.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
How was the third.? Did we weather the storm or was it even?
I think you missing periods is a good think for us… Could be good for you too if it’s planned…. ;)

lol who was on the panel he is referring to?
The other three, but mostly the bearded dude who went on and on about the leafs, more than the others, seemed like their leaf expert.

It was all pretty sad.

The Darcy and Neiler bit with Chris was actually pretty awesome, so that was a win for the broadcast in my mind. Fewer panel minutes, more legendary player minutes.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Tarasenko really stirs the drink. Skilled and tough; he adds a crucial "grind-it-out" pressure dimension to that line with Stutzle and Batherson that is making it so effective. It's scary having Tarasenko chase you down on the dump.

Reactions: LiseL

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think you missing periods is a good think for us… Could be good for you too if it’s planned…. ;)

The other three, but mostly the bearded dude who went on and on about the leafs, more than the others, seemed like their leaf expert.

It was all pretty sad.

The Darcy and Neiler bit with Chris was actually pretty awesome, so that was a win for the broadcast in my mind. Fewer panel minutes, more legendary player minutes.
I had to go play soccer. I usually miss third periods on soccer night d

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad