GDT: Ottawa Senators at the Toronto Maple Leafs - 7PM - SN - Nightmare on Bay Street - Last Laughs of 2023

OUTHOUSE

Feb 16, 2008
99 Rideau
Chabot on the ice with no yellow jersey
OK.png

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Can't believe we overcame the monumental talent of the Hart, Rocket Richard and Selke frontrunner to win 4-2. Truly an inspiring achievement when you consider the incredibly rich recent history of Toronto's accomplishments against Ottawa, including iconic individual games from players like Matthews. Did you know he had 4 goals in his first NHL game ever, which happened to be against the Senators?

I, of course, learned all of this from brief snippets of commentary throughout the game and am glad to have received such an enriching, multidimensional education from such notable experts.

Is there any way I can contribute financially for the services they rendered? Is there a way to tip them directly?

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Man...I'm trying not to get excited here, but seeing and hearing Martin back in the Sens locker room, can't help but feel chills. Nostalgia is one hell of a drug and all, but damn....it still feels good. The old man has such gravitas in the room, just night and day compared to DJ.

Yesterday when Batherson scored the first goal I yelled out "Jaysssson Spezzzzaaaaa"! Something just feels right with JM back, surreal to see both him and Alfie behind the bench. These guys are literally coaching/teaching in-game, something I didn't see very often from the previous regime.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I checked out the box score for that game and it appears that he was a -1 in OT with Turris scoring the GWG.

Must be a typo or something because I haven't seen mention of the fact that he cost his team the game in the end.
He was always great defensively but now he's blossomed into an elite Selke frontrunner. At least that's what I'm assuming based off all the replays they showed of his many many stalwart defensive plays - including routine back-checks, regular-looking stick-checks and incredibly common transition plays. But the way the commentators described them...my God...I was captivated. I watched it thinking "there but for the grace of God go I". I was truly humbled to even see the replays, let alone watch them happen in real time. And all I could think was "maybe I'm the one who doesn't get why these plays are so great".

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I was out running errands and thinking about Batherson's game winner. Lucky goal. I heard and read a little about that.

Turn it around. Matthews scores that goal. Generational goal scorer. Main board thread. Highlight of the week. And a next game first intermission expose on the skill required to see that play let alone execute it.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I was out running errands and thinking about Batherson's game winner. Lucky goal. I heard and read a little about that.

Turn it around. Matthews scores that goal. Generational goal scorer. Main board thread. Highlight of the week. And a next game first intermission expose on the skill required to see that play let alone execute it.
yes star players generally get more spotlight

If the sens want respect they need to find consistency and actually be good

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Man...I'm trying not to get excited here, but seeing and hearing Martin back in the Sens locker room, can't help but feel chills. Nostalgia is one hell of a drug and all, but damn....it still feels good. The old man has such gravitas in the room, just night and day compared to DJ.

not only that but Daniel f***ing Alfredsson standing next to him.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Well that went right over your head
not really you are comparing a guy who is on pace for 70 goals who can pick corners like no other vs Batherson who we know is skilled (a lot of other fans don't) but hasn't proven it consistently in the league yet. i can see why one narrative might be he was lucky while the other would say it is skill

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
not really you are comparing a guy who is on pace for 70 goals who can pick corners like no other vs Batherson who we know is skilled (a lot of other fans don't) but hasn't proven it consistently in the league yet. i can see why one narrative might be he was lucky while the other would say it is skill
So in a thread where the majority of the past 5 pages has been about the biased play by play and panel discussions, your response to my post was about what the Sens need to do to get respect. Ya, I think it went over your head

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
He was always great defensively but now he's blossomed into an elite Selke frontrunner. At least that's what I'm assuming based off all the replays they showed of his many many stalwart defensive plays - including routine back-checks, regular-looking stick-checks and incredibly common transition plays. But the way the commentators described them...my God...I was captivated. I watched it thinking "there but for the grace of God go I". I was truly humbled to even see the replays, let alone watch them happen in real time. And all I could think was "maybe I'm the one who doesn't get why these plays are so great".
Last game I heard them talk about how he angles the blade his stick so elitely when stick checking. It’s amazing stuff.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I checked out the box score for that game and it appears that he was a -1 in OT with Turris scoring the GWG.

Must be a typo or something because I haven't seen mention of the fact that he cost his team the game in the end.

Smelly Moustache AM34 is now "due" for a Selke.

Reactions: DrEasy

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Probably the best defensive game he has had ... He's bought in and he will be good
I liked his comments in his post-game interview where he shared that the coaches are teaching them right when they get off the ice so it's fresh on their minds. He is playing like he is absorbing every word and applying it on the next shift. Waiting for Timmy to do the same.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
? Not sure if this is serious.

Even if we win ALL of our games in hand, we'd still be behind Montreal, Pittsburgh, New Jersey, Tampa and the two current Wild Card teams Carolina & Washington. We would be tied with Detroit. Not sure if the Wild Card sort feature is woking on the link.

Last edited:

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
ugly play is what led to those.

when play is down to multiple empty nets being blocked, its because there were massive breakdowns.
Totally agree. For once, Korpi didn't get burned by the poor defensive coverage in front of him. He'd make the save at one end of the net, then the rebound would be passed to another Leaf instead of being handled by the Sens. Those multiple tic-tac-toe plays should never have happened. It was also the type of play that resulted in their 2 goals in the 1st. Good thing Zub and Batherson had the presence of mind to stop those pucks from entering. Need to see continued progress in these areas if they want to continue having success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad