News Article: Ottawa 'reporter' refers to Subban as a 'Yard Ape'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
That some idiot said something offensive in the Twitter age hardly fazes me anymore.

However, that several members of our own Habs community seem to be trollishly defending him makes me sad. "what's the big deal?" "come on, everyone's racist". Sigh :(

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
thats just wrong but he isnt an Ottawa writer. I mean if a white supremicist writes books in Montreal is he a Montreal writer?

The dude doesnt have any articles in any Ottawa papers that I can find.

He's just a moron and should get beaten up.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
We should adopt an ape and let it loose in his yard with a Subban jersey on it.

The ironing would be delicious.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
thats just wrong but he isnt an Ottawa writer. I mean if a white supremicist writes books in Montreal is he a Montreal writer?

The dude doesnt have any articles in any Ottawa papers that I can find.

He's just a moron and should get beaten up.

Or if a fan throws a banana on the ice at Kevin Weekes in a playoff series....? Oh wait that actually happened. There's no monopoly on racists anywhere in the world.

I'm surprised he was dumb enough to post it publicly on his twitter - with his name. That's some kind of stupid.

Megaforce

I like the insight, quips, funny banter on these hockey sites possibly even more than I like actual hockey.

I have spent a lot of hours reading the various teams discussions threads and long ago got the impression that the meanest, most bitter, worst-humoured fans were the ones on the Ottawa discussion forums.

Other discussion forums, such as that of Toronto, is home to many jerks too but also has a lot of clever, tolerant and witty people as well, something I haven't seen much evidence of within the Sens board.

So this hasn't left me predisposed to liking the Senators, the city of Ottawa or their fans very much.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
I don't understand why people feel the need to share crap like this and give the guy more attention.

I got chirped by a habs fan last week who then went on to call Subban the n word. Should I have started a thread about it?

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
I don't understand why people feel the need to share crap like this and give the guy more attention.

I got chirped by a habs fan last week who then went on to call Subban the n word. Should I have started a thread about it?

There's a difference between a fan and someone who is paid to write articles and represent their branch of the media.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
There's a difference between a fan and someone who is paid to write articles and represent their branch of the media.

Of course there is, but not really in this situation.

The reporter has nothing to with the Sens organization and doesn't represent the city of Ottawa at all. The only difference is the guy who chirped me was a homeless man on the street instead of a well of dude on twitter.

This thread is a sad attempt at painting Ottawa as classless or whatever.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
another anti-white detected

Lol, whenever racism is the topic of discussion, the number one concern for white, heterosexual, able-bodied, possibly christian males tends to be whether we are being "too PC," and that perhaps some of the criticism could be "anti-white." Their suggestion is typically to just "forget it," because after all, "who cares"? That is unless and until whites become the topic of discussion, and then all of a sudden the conversation becomes "anti-white."

Your response is nothing but petty jingoism used to deflect the conversation from a valid point: of course those who are the benefactors of society as it exists today wish to ignore criticism of society as it exists today. Such criticisms from these benefactors should therefore be dismissed out of hand.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Lemme guess: you're white, male, heterosexual, able bodied, and possibly christian.
You forgot handsome, rich, smart, well-travelled, charming, devilishly aloof, funny, men want to be him, women want to be with him...

Lol, whenever racism is the topic of discussion, the number one concern for white, heterosexual, able-bodied, possibly christian males tends to be whether we are being "too PC," and that perhaps some of the criticism could be "anti-white." Their suggestion is typically to just "forget it," because after all, "who cares"? That is unless and until whites become the topic of discussion, and then all of a sudden the conversation becomes "anti-white."

Your response is nothing but petty jingoism used to deflect the conversation from a valid point: of course those who are the benefactors of society as it exists today wish to ignore criticism of society as it exists today. Such criticisms from these benefactors should therefore be dismissed out of hand.

IT's not racism. It's you and the rest of the outrage industry trying their hardest to get mad at something someone said. Have some dignity and let idiots be idiots without encouraging them.

I am the first to suggest that Subban's asymmetric media attention is due to his race. And on other less moderated boards I frequent I absolutely abhor it when people says Subban "chimped out" when he takes a hot-headed penalty. It's lazy racism and it isn't even funny, it's just a lazy placeholder for an idea.

Racism sucks and racists should get exposed but you trolling the ocean floor for some bottom of the barrel twitter conversation makes you look like a god damn child.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa

I was going to let your ignorance slide but ok Captain Courage, lets see you defend this...

The poster you responded to said 'who cares' in response to this post:

I made a comment to Bruce Garrioch at the Ottawa Sun via twitter about my disgust of the ELLER pics and headlines in the Sun after Game 1. My Twitter avatar is of me in a "parka in an igloo" as I worked in the arctic ...his comments back were "Just come out of your cave" ..... I commented on that and was blocked from his twitter account ..... sounds like a few journalists from our nations capital need some "sensitivity training" .... (as do some everywhere!)

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 4 May

@AcadiaAxeMan Did you just crawl out of your cave?
Expand

Don MacAskill ‏@AcadiaAxeMan 4 May

@SunGarrioch BTW it's a jepa (parka) and taken in an igloo - you disrespecting the Inuit now #whobelongsinacave #ottawasundisgrace

Now show me where the racism is. Go ahead. Since you're so confident there shouldn't be any problems now should there?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I was going to let your ignorance slide but ok Captain Courage, lets see you defend this...

The poster you responded to said 'who cares' in response to this post:

Now show me where the racism is. Go ahead. Since you're so confident there shouldn't be any problems now should there?

Actually, if you had read as much as the first 5 posts of this thread, you would know that this poster first said "who cares" in response to Subban being called a yard ape. Would you like me to point out the racism in that, or would you like go on your merry way now?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
You forgot handsome, rich, smart, well-travelled, charming, devilishly aloof, funny, men want to be him, women want to be with him...

At no point did you ever say "well educated." Probably for the best, though, as you wouldn't be fooling anybody then, and you're not fooling anyone now.

IT's not racism. It's you and the rest of the outrage industry trying their hardest to get mad at something someone said. Have some dignity and let idiots be idiots without encouraging them.

I am the first to suggest that Subban's asymmetric media attention is due to his race. And on other less moderated boards I frequent I absolutely abhor it when people says Subban "chimped out" when he takes a hot-headed penalty. It's lazy racism and it isn't even funny, it's just a lazy placeholder for an idea.

Racism sucks and racists should get exposed but you trolling the ocean floor for some bottom of the barrel twitter conversation makes you look like a god damn child.

You're not even making sense. In your pathetic attempts to remain reserved and apropos you say two things which directly contradict each other:

"racists should get exposed"

"[exposing a racist] makes you look like a ******* child."

There is a further contradiction here:

"I'm the first [to point out racism]"

"[pointing out racism] makes you look like a ******* child."

So what is it that's supposed to happen? We'll expose racists, and racism where it still exists in society by inventing a dream world where only idiots are racists, these idiots have no influence in society, and in which society doesn't influence these idiots to act in this certain way? In fact, if someone suggests that these things aren't the case, we'll shout them down just to make sure!

That oughta do it.

The reason why I asked those demographic questions of you is to put your indifference in context. It's typical.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
At no point did you ever say "well educated." Probably for the best, though, as you wouldn't be fooling anybody then, and you're not fooling anyone now.

Actually I meant to write it but I figured it would be kind of obnoxious.

You're not even making sense. In your pathetic attempts to remain reserved and apropos you say two things which directly contradict each other:

"racists should get exposed"

"[exposing a racist] makes you look like a ******* child."

There is a further contradiction here:

"I'm the first [to point out racism]"

"[pointing out racism] makes you look like a ******* child."

So what is it that's supposed to happen? We'll expose racists, and racism where it still exists in society by inventing a dream world where only idiots are racists, these idiots have no influence in society, and in which society doesn't influence these idiots to act in this certain way? In fact, if someone suggests that these things aren't the case, we'll shout them down just to make sure!

That oughta do it.

The reason why I asked those demographic questions of you is to put your indifference in context. It's typical.

Choose your battles. Getting all bent out of shape over non-racism (your pathetic twitter fight) and a nobody no one has heard of using a racist term is EXACTLY LIKE how North Americans have made the media be so awful. Everything has to have a blame, a bad guy, something to be outraged about so the homebody can feel like they defeated racism.

You and your ilk can take your sanctimonious bull and shove it - I doubt a single one of you even knows, or cares about, what a certain in-power Canadian political party is doing to immigration laws (jingoism) or social service access (racism)... but one asshat on twitter and you get all aflame.

It's just twitter - you can't even publish coherent thoughts on it due to its character limit - grow the hell up.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011

Choose your battles. Getting all bent out of shape over non-racism (your pathetic twitter fight) and a nobody no one has heard of using a racist term is EXACTLY LIKE how North Americans have made the media be so awful. Everything has to have a blame, a bad guy, something to be outraged about so the homebody can feel like they defeated racism.

You and your ilk can take your sanctimonious bull and shove it - I doubt a single one of you even knows, or cares about, what a certain in-power Canadian political party is doing to immigration laws (jingoism) or social service access (racism)... but one asshat on twitter and you get all aflame.

It's just twitter - you can't even publish coherent thoughts on it due to its character limit - grow the hell up.

Amen brother.

Conquering racism through twitter is about as productive as the war on drugs.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Lol. Not bad.

First, I didn't get into a twitter fight. Maybe you're a bit confused my renaissance man, but that was someone else. I was simply commenting on your non-chalant dismissal of any concerns about racism in this thread, which is only too typical of "your ilk."

It's obvious you don't care. And it's obvious that you wouldn't care. I'm saying that the fact that you don't care doesn't matter. This conversation is going to happen whether you like it or not. And if you don't like it, you can kindly **** off.

Nothing I have said is sanctimonious in the least. Are you sure you know what that word means, or does your mother just tell you how smart you are when you use it?

And as for this particular piece of ********: there are always going to be more serious battles. It is not reasonable to say that I have to solve every other more serious problem before addressing this one. "Well, what about Saudi Arabia" men might say when confronted with sexism close to home. That's ********. If you want to do some good against discrimination, you don't have to restrict yourself to lobbying, petitions, and protest. You can intervene on a day to day basis. And your insinuation that people who want to intervene here "don't care" about more serious issues is disingenuous, probably inaccurate, and frankly sanctimonious.

Are you actually this ****ing dumb? What you want to say is that when someone says something reprehensible on twitter, it's in fact people having a problem with it that's the problem, not the reprehensible thing itself.

Way to pick your sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad