News Article: Ottawa 'reporter' refers to Subban as a 'Yard Ape'

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Amen brother.

Conquering racism through twitter is about as productive as the war on drugs.

Conquering racism through simply ignoring it is about as likely to accomplish the goal as the clap trap Ron Paul blathers on about is likely to accomplish any of its goals.

"Just so long as we do nothing, this will all be resolved."

So far as the twitter response, I think it's absolutely justified. Tell this ******* his opinions aren't welcome in the public you want to see. What about that is wrong?

In Murray we Trust

May 5, 2011
There's a difference between a fan and someone who is paid to write articles and represent their branch of the media.

There is also a difference between a habs fan and a hockey fan with a brain.

The City of Ottawa doesn't control what goes in the newspaper of a private company, but it really should control the posts on this forum.. yikes.

(sidenote: its the METRO, and i know for a fact they have them in montreal too and its just as much of a joke there as every other free sheet newspaper. sidenote2: how many serious reporters have "PINTINHAND" as their twitter handle.)

icerocket

Jan 4, 2008
Atlantis

The City of Ottawa doesn't control what goes in the newspaper of a private company, but it really should control the posts on this forum.. yikes.

(sidenote: its the METRO, and i know for a fact they have them in montreal too and its just as much of a joke there as every other free sheet newspaper. sidenote2: how many serious reporters have "PINTINHAND" as their twitter handle.)

Sens fans should need atleast 100 posts before posting in the Habs board. It would filter out a lot of nonsense.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Conquering racism through simply ignoring it is about as likely to accomplish the goal as the clap trap Ron Paul blathers on about is likely to accomplish any of its goals.

So far as the twitter response, I think it's absolutely justified. Tell this ******* his opinions aren't welcome in the public you want to see. What about that is wrong?

You are absolutely correct.

Censuring (not censoring) people is the way to go. Tackling racism is important , as are it's two up and coming younger sisters - ageism and sexism.

Habiton

Apr 30, 2010
Sens fans should need atleast 100 posts before posting in the Habs board. It would filter out a lot of nonsense.

Is there any way to send that idea over to the HFBoards management?

Not allowed to post in certain sections until X amount of posts is a fantastic idea.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007

Incredible that a poster would waste 2 out of his 4 posts in the last two years posting on this issue on another team's forum.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011

Alright, let's lay all the cards out in the table.

First, there's an obvious jump between suggesting to ignore twitter slurs and "simply ignoring racism." I think you know that already though.

Second, It's very clear that this thread was started with the intention of making Ottawa/Sens/fans look bad. Lets not pretend like this thread was started for some sort of altruistic purpose.

Third, we're talking about a tweet from 5 days ago after the dude had already deleted the tweet and issued an apology. So what exactly is this thread doing to stop racism?

Idiots will continue to say dumb and offensive things despite people giving them **** for it. If you think that's a deterent then I'd love to hear your thoughts on why life long jail sentences aren't a strong enough deterent to stop people from murdering each other.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
You are absolutely correct.

Censuring (not censoring) people is the way to go. Tackling racism is important , as are it's two up and coming younger sisters - ageism and sexism.

Right on. As society progresses, the window of acceptable things shifts. In 100 years, people's views on these issues, ableism, transphobia etc. will be looked on as Gandhi's views on gender are now. To the majority, critique of these widely held views is absurd. In the future, they will be obvious.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
normally I don't jump on the "that's racist" bandwagon. The whole Subban blackface thing a couple years ago for example I thought was ridiculous since they were obviously trying to dress up as their favorite player and didn't mean any offence. This though is entirely derogatory and intentional.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Alright, let's lay all the cards out in the table.

First, there's an obvious jump between suggesting to ignore twitter slurs and "simply ignoring racism." I think you know that already though.

Yes. Context. You say we should ignore racism now, but not other times. Why? You also don't answer my question. What is so wrong with lambasting a racist on twitter? Isn't that what twitter's for, i.e., the expression of opinions?

Second, It's very clear that this thread was started with the intention of making Ottawa/Sens/fans look bad. Lets not pretend like this thread was started for some sort of altruistic purpose.

Lol, give me a break. I think maybe one person perhaps insinuated as much, but literally no one else has.

Third, we're talking about a tweet from 5 days ago after the dude had already deleted the tweet and issued an apology. So what exactly is this thread doing to stop racism?

Well, first of all, this thread might be about that tweet, but this conversation we're having right now is about what to do about that tweet. Da Vinci over here says "who cares, bigger fish to fry." I say tell that tweeter to **** off. You don't agree with me, why?

Idiots will continue to say dumb and offensive things despite people giving them **** for it. If you think that's a deterent then I'd love to hear your thoughts on why life long jail sentences aren't a strong enough deterent to stop people from murdering each other.

It's not just idiots. If you'd like to have a conversation about the ineffectual nature of our corrections systems, I'd love to have that conversation with you. However, suffice it to say that my point would mainly revolve around a dissociation of the perpetrator from the public, and also the nature of crime, who commits it, why, and why the prison system literally cannot fix that.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
In my opinion Subban is hated for many reasons and race is part of it. It's the whole package, cause he's good, cause he's spectacular, cause he's brash, cause he's chaotic and is hard to reign in in and also cause he's black. They won't admit it, but it's there.

Habsurdities

Jul 16, 2012
Montreal
Let's stop giving this jerk any more attention, which is exactly what he wants. He is by no means representative of Ottawa fans/citizens and is completely opposite of Canadian values.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad