OT: Ottawa REDBLACKS 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
This travesty of a season is the fault of no one other than Desjardins and his idiotic personnel decisions...the choices of Ellingson and Powell were bad enough, but how could anyone think Davis was a replacement for Harris. I have been on record as saying that Davis is the worst QB I have ever seen...and I now say there will never, in the history of football a QB as bad as Davis is. And any tool that thought he was competent should be immediately removed from any football decision making.

They seemed to have burned a bridge during the Harris negotiations, and that burned a ton of bridges in the offense.

At the same time, I’m completely willing to give GMMD another chance. He improved the team so much in the past, perhaps things got out of hand, which is unfortunate. If he doesn’t turn this around and has a bad offseason, I think we’ve gotta look harder at him.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
At the same time, I’d be really interested in hearing what Harris haters are saying now. Y’all did want a new QB, after all.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It honestly feels like they purposefully destroyed the team. No one in their right mind thought those moves were any good and this kind of season was entirely predictable. There's something weird about how football always goes in this direction in Ottawa.

It's very different this time - strong local ownership group, solid facilities, and an experienced GM who, for all the deserved heat he is taking right now, no doubt knows that he blew it. He's a proud guy so he won't admit it publicly, but you just know that he isn't sleeping very well right now.

You'll see some bold moves in the off-season to address it, starting with a big free agent signing at QB - take it to the bank. Ownership won't stand idly by and watch their prize possession be driven into the ground. I suspect that Campbell and Desjardins get one year to turn it around, but they'll both head into 2020 on the last year of their contracts - no off-season extensions for either of them.

Last edited:

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
You'll see some bold moves in the off-season to address it, starting with a big free agent signing at QB - take it to the bank. Ownership won't stand idly by and watch their prize possession be driven into the ground. I suspect that Campbell and Desjardins get one year to turn it around, but they'll both head into 2020 on the last year of their contracts - no off-season extensions for either of them.

Only problem is, what QB's are free agents in 2020 and won't get re-signed?

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Nick Arbuckle and Chris Streveler

There's a QB out of Temple on the neg list who (unfortunately for Ottawa) might just stick with the Colts -- PJ Walker, built for the CFL.

A little bit of digging on Walker shows that he has been on the Colts practice roster for the last two seasons. Of course, with Luck's stunning retirement one presumes he gets to move up the depth chart, but his pre-season numbers are not great and this is a cut throat league - Colts will likely acquire a QB after final cuts from another team, and Walker could still find himself on the outside looking in. After two years on the PR, it's fish or cut bait time for this guy...

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
The Sooners are now finished their season maybe get a few of their players they cant be worse and they are Canadian.:laugh:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
At the same time, I’d be really interested in hearing what Harris haters are saying now. Y’all did want a new QB, after all.
Was Harris better than what we have now, yes, but lets not make him out to be amazing. With a deep team he looked like shit as much as he was on. Not to mention his teammates hated him.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Was Harris better than what we have now, yes, but lets not make him out to be amazing. With a deep team he looked like **** as much as he was on. Not to mention his teammates hated him.

1. There’s only a very, very small amount of “amazing QBs” in the CFL. Bo Levi and Mike Rielly are the only ones that are clear cut better QBs than Harris.

2. He definitely didn’t look like shit as much as he was on. High completion percentages, always a great TD-INT ratio, won us games.

3. His teammates hated him? He convinced a a few of our stars to go to Edmonton with him...doesn’t really seem hated. One or two players have spoke out about Harris but nothing ever seemed off when he was here, and who knows what the motives behind those comments were.

Harris wasn’t the best QB, but definitely under appreciated in his time here. We’ve had fun replacing him.

Oct 10, 2010
Harris seemed like an obvious signing to me at the time, especially more so if the options were Davis and a lesser FA QB signing like Jennings.

Desjardins was too cute in letting Harris go and now not only are we not as good the football isn't as exciting IMO.

Oct 10, 2010

There's a QB out of Temple on the neg list who (unfortunately for Ottawa) might just stick with the Colts -- PJ Walker, built for the CFL.

I think one of them is a must i'd probably try to sign both but that may be asking for too much as they'll each be looking for starting gigs.

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018

Would love Arbuckle. Being stuck behind Bo Levi, you'd think it'd be relatively easy to convince him to come over and take the starting job with us

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I consider myself a patient man, but I was calling for changes two weeks ago. Now we’re getting blown out by a 1-9 team after a bye week. Come on.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Who knew three guys were holding this entire house of cards together?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
A little bit of digging on Walker shows that he has been on the Colts practice roster for the last two seasons. Of course, with Luck's stunning retirement one presumes he gets to move up the depth chart, but his pre-season numbers are not great and this is a cut throat league - Colts will likely acquire a QB after final cuts from another team, and Walker could still find himself on the outside looking in. After two years on the PR, it's fish or cut bait time for this guy...

Don't players on the NFL Practice Roster make more money than most players in the CFL? I wouldn't blame them for not coming up to a colder climate for less pay.

On another note, how about them Tiger-Cats, first place in the CFL, the first time in a very long time an Eastern team has been at the top of the CFL. If Masoli would not have had the knee ending injuring the Ti-Cats IMO would easily win the cup this yr. I don't think Evans can lead them to a Grey Cup, but there aren't many CFL teams that are much better this yr but you never know in the CFL.

MikeC62

Aug 31, 2018
Unless Desjardins is made to walk the plank for probably the worst off-season in the history of EVERY pro sport league, I will not be spending a dime on tickets or merchandise. This has become Senators level bad.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
As I expected, our RedBlacks got blown out by the lowly Argos. The Lions are licking their chops!

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
I feels like we have someone new doing kick returns every week. Life as an ottawa sports fan really takes resilience these days.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Unless Desjardins is made to walk the plank for probably the worst off-season in the history of EVERY pro sport league, I will not be spending a dime on tickets or merchandise. This has become Senators level bad.
This is the CFL. There are no long term deals, rosters change over night, and half decent players would rather play on an NFL practice roster.

The only way to improve the quality of the CFL is have it aligned with the NFL as a minor league where we can develop players.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
As bad as this season has been you can’t fire Desjardins after the success for the first few years.

We don’t know what his marching orders were in the off-season. Give him a shot to turn it around.

Reactions: Rhaegar Targaryen

salomonster

Oct 7, 2006
Double dot
Agreed, you can't flame the GM.

Free Agents have the right to shop themselves. Ellingson got 75k more. Can you blame him?

The real program is loosing the OC at a bad time.

They will be ok, this is a throwaway season.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Agreed, you can't flame the GM.

Free Agents have the right to shop themselves. Ellingson got 75k more. Can you blame him?

The real program is loosing the OC at a bad time.

They will be ok, this is a throwaway season.

I think you can flame the GM for this, but don't fire him. He should get another chance for him to prove himself.

I agree, though. There's a lot more than people on here are making it out to be. I do wish he acquired a little more talent in free agency. The OC loss was huge, you're right.

The management turned a 2-16 expansion team into a 12-6 contender that did really well for multiple seasons. I do have faith in them turning this around, just not this season.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I think you can flame the GM for this, but don't fire him. He should get another chance for him to prove himself.

I agree, though. There's a lot more than people on here are making it out to be. I do wish he acquired a little more talent in free agency. The OC loss was huge, you're right.

The management turned a 2-16 expansion team into a 12-6 contender that did really well for multiple seasons. I do have faith in them turning this around, just not this season.
What were the expansion rules for the RedBlacks at the time? Did they draft a 12-6 team that just needed a year to come together? If so this management team might not be able to recover from such a roster turn over.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
What were the expansion rules for the RedBlacks at the time? Did they draft a 12-6 team that just needed a year to come together? If so this management team might not be able to recover from such a roster turn over.

We had a pretty awful expansion team. I believe we didn’t throw our first touchdown until, like, week 9 or something.

That summer is when we brought in Sinnopoli, Ellingson, Williams and Jackson. And tons of defensive pieces and depth players.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Down 21-0 to the worst team in the league at HT. The only good thing they did was a trick play that got them nearly 40 yards only one little problem they did`nt register the player in ineligible receiver play called back DUH

1st half stats BC 276 yds Ottawa 87 yds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad