OT: Ottawa REDBLACKS 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
My concern is on the offensive side with the big name losses over the off season. Jennings, Madu, et al have not replaced these pieces.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
MTL D are ripping at the ball on every play. On the play before the Sinopoli fumble they almost pulled it away from Crockett

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
RedBlacks need a new QB!

Ottawa can't catch a football on O or D!

Last edited:

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This game proved why you should never turn off a CFL game early. Crazy comeback by the REDBLACKS - they had no business being in the game, but Montreal let them hang around and then paid the price for it at the end.

Positives - our defence and special teams are outstanding. I'd put them up against any team in the CFL. Negative - that offense is cover-your-eyes terrible. We are getting painfully little production from the QB position. I know they don't want to do it, but they're going to have to bring in another guy if they want to give this team a chance. Neither Davis or Jennings are going to win you anything, and that's a shame given how great that D looks...

Reactions: Al14

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
That was a crazy comeback. Dedmon, wow, nice. Thought it was going to be a repeat of last game where we got the lead late but lost at the end. But instead it was that impressive power back Stanback that blew it for the Als. I'll take it. Surely Ward will be in the NFL one day, thats kind of surprising so far.

Davis is definitely a step up from Jennings. He seemed to find a bit of a groove late, and in previous games he did complete a fair number of 2nd and longs. I'm still holding out hope that he can develop into an adequate #1 until we find a top tier one. He does have some ok qualities, but some of the passes he throws into coverage make me hold my breath. Redblacks offense still a rebuild in progress.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm not sold on Davis in the least, and want him replaced ASAP. I just don't see much in his past resume to suggest that this is going to get much better. Heck, I'd grab Brandon Bridge off the waiver wire and see what he has, or start giving the young #3 QB, Will Arndt, some starting reps in practice. Having said that, you could point to Trevor Harris's pretty pedestrian numbers in Edmonton's loss last night as evidence that he doesn't walk on water either. It's a tough call, but something has to change, because our offense is seriously stinky...

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
If DD ever learns to set his feet he could be very good...also think we need to have some QB runs thrown in to the mix to keep D honest.

He isn't a burner but we need a lot of variety in our calling when the offense is this bad.

MikeC62

Aug 31, 2018
Dominique Davis is the worst QB I have ever seen. And folks, I saw both Ryan Leaf and Rex Grossman.

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014
Watching this RedBlacks team is just so frustrating... defence is good, special teams are good, but offence is trash. Who woulda ever thought that after letting your starting LT, QB, RB, and two starting WRs go in the off-season? Oh and the play calling on the offensive side of the ball is just brutal too

Reactions: Larionov

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Watching this RedBlacks team is just so frustrating... defence is good, special teams are good, but offence is trash. Who woulda ever thought that after letting your starting LT, QB, RB, and two starting WRs go in the off-season? Oh and the play calling on the offensive side of the ball is just brutal too

Pretty much exactly how I feel.

Hard to pin it on one guy (Davis), although he hasn't been impressive so far. We lost a ton of pieces and replaced toonies with nickels. We have some solid pieces in there, but when the ball is getting forced to Rhymes every time, it's easy to shut down.

Looking at the standings (early, I know), it looks like a very real possibility of a Western crossover again. We should finish comfortably ahead of Toronto, but Montreal is playing well this season and every Western team has been good except BC. I hope the management can see the issues with the offence and make changes before this season slips away from us.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Pretty much exactly how I feel.

Hard to pin it on one guy (Davis), although he hasn't been impressive so far. We lost a ton of pieces and replaced toonies with nickels. We have some solid pieces in there, but when the ball is getting forced to Rhymes every time, it's easy to shut down.

Looking at the standings (early, I know), it looks like a very real possibility of a Western crossover again. We should finish comfortably ahead of Toronto, but Montreal is playing well this season and every Western team has been good except BC. I hope the management can see the issues with the offence and make changes before this season slips away from us.
I feel the season has already slipped away from our RedBlacks. It's hard to imagine that without some serious injections of talent that our offense will get any better. JMHO.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Tough game all around.

Special teams has been a significant part of the team identity and with Dedmon being injured the field position battle takes a huge blow.

The fact the game was there for the taking is a very positive sign and the offence performed quite well against the best D in the league.

If anything abandoning the run for majority of the 2nd half did us in and I still believe we need to inject some QB runs in to the offensive mix.

D was huge with all those 3rd down stops. Still time to get it together since the East is a disaster with all the QB injuries.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
You have three shots to win the game from the 11 yard line, and you have the reigning Outstanding Canadian in Sinopoli on your team, and he doesn't get targeted once? Are you kidding me? Davis and the play calling are both awful. You HAVE to get the ball to your big play guys in that situation. Sinopoli only had two targets last night - instead, Davis keeps forcing the ball to all of our backups and lesser lights. I don't get it. Another wasted effort from our D, who held Edmonton to 16 points in their own barn...

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Again, at the end of the game im thinking are we going to pull one out we maybe don’t deserve? But nope.

Still a lot of roster turnover during the season, I wonder how much of a playbook this team really has absorbed in practice yet. A lot of development and hopefully a little stability to go.

Davis obviously not there yet, but he still seems to have a lot of good tools im wondering that might come together with a little time, success and confidence. Time it would seem being something all Ottawa teams have to look forward to.

Im still torn on whether Harris is worth locking into, kinda like Ceci. Obviously he would make us better than with Davis, but im not sure he really lives up to his cap space usage either. And so while we’re rebuilding may as well be on the lookout for a great space usage QB again.

Don’t remember hearing the term bubble screen before.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
How long before Ward gets a NFL offer. Cowboys need someone as Maher is at about 75%. That would be devastating.
Crockett was a rock in the first 30. Why not continue that in the final 30. Play callling.
D stepped it up all game.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Try as you might, you can't just live off the run in the CFL. Eventually you have to put the ball in the air, and teams know that our passing game is hot garbage. Therefore, they start loading up to stop the run and basically dare us to throw. You saw Montreal do it in the second half of that game, and you saw Edmonton start doing it also. Heck, if I was facing a team that featured a stud running back like Crockett, and a trash QB like Davis, I'd do the same thing...

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Everyone knows our passing game isnt strong already so we arent surprising anyone at the beginning of the game.

You can't be completely one dimensional regardless and the O line is a strength of the team; they need to run the ball just to mix it up.

Oct 10, 2010
How long before Ward gets a NFL offer. Cowboys need someone as Maher is at about 75%. That would be devastating.
Crockett was a rock in the first 30. Why not continue that in the final 30. Play callling.
D stepped it up all game.
Ward should have been in the NFL already so strange

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ward should have been in the NFL already so strange

He couldn't go quite yet - he signed a standard rookie two year deal in the CFL that doesn't expire until the end of this year. Besides, I'm not sure how much NFL interest he would have generated last off-season anyway. This year, though, now that he's doing it again, he has likely appeared on their radar. He'll definitely be on the tryout tour this winter.

Here's the key, though - for it to be worth his while, someone has to offer him a significant signing bonus. Signing bonuses are your only guaranteed money in the NFL. If you get offered a contract with little to no signing bonus, you are just training camp shark bait, and are at high risk of getting cut at the end of August. A signing bonus means they are actually serious about you. For example, NFL first rounders get huge up front money in their contracts - a seventh rounder gets virtually no guaranteed money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad