OT: Ottawa REDBLACKS 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Campbell didn't trust his strong leg kicker and his defense. Giving up the safety made no sense. Either way CGY would have needed about 40 yards or so after the punt to win but with the 4 point led they would have needed a TD. Dumbest call I've seen in a very very long time. Did Campbell dream this up himself or did some kid think that up...nah even a kid would have said ..make them earn the touchdown if they want to beat us! What a gift!

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Campbell didn't trust his strong leg kicker and his defense. Giving up the safety made no sense. Either way CGY would have needed about 40 yards or so after the punt to win but with the 4 point led they would have needed a TD. Dumbest call I've seen in a very very long time. Did Campbell dream this up himself or did some kid think that up...nah even a kid would have said ..make them earn the touchdown if they want to beat us! What a gift!
The overall organization incompetence is shocking. Wild to say after what the sens have done in the last 2 years but the redblacks are giving them a run for the money. Just the most idiotic decisions over and over again.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
The overall organization incompetence is shocking. Wild to say after what the sens have done in the last 2 years but the redblacks are giving them a run for the money. Just the most idiotic decisions over and over again.
The Redblacks let a lot of talent walk this summer, granted, but they're not anywhere near the level of organizational clownshow that the Sens are. This is so hyperbolic.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The Redblacks let a lot of talent walk this summer, granted, but they're not anywhere near the level of organizational clownshow that the Sens are. This is so hyperbolic.
Is it? Go to the grey cup let the best wr in the cfl walk and your the starting qb. Screw the running back over last year so he doesnt hit his bonus's he leaves. Screw the OC over he leaves the bad mouth him on the way out. GM chirps the media after they ask him about losing the entire offense. They seem to be on the same level.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
What bothered me aside from the decision itself that Campbell made is that there didn't appear to be a sane head to try to talk him out of it. Was anyone at the game close enough to see if anyone talked to him during the 3rd down countdown before calling the timeout and again right after that. I'm sure 99.9% would have said "don't give up the safety". A brain fart made under immediate pressure can be explained away but does Campbell make those kind of calls without consultation. He had time to think knowing they were deep in their zone and would likely not get a 1st down and then the timeout so this wasn't a spur of the moment no time to think situation. Even today with a bit of calm down time gone by it still makes no sense that a head coach would even think that option was reasonable. Consider it? Yes!....... Do it? Absolutely, not!

Firing Campbell is not the answer right now. Heck they can't even find an O-coordinator let alone a coach without writing off the season but it's something to seriously consider when tallying the pluses and minuses in the off season.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Is it? Go to the grey cup let the best wr in the cfl walk and your the starting qb. Screw the running back over last year so he doesnt hit his bonus's he leaves. Screw the OC over he leaves the bad mouth him on the way out. GM chirps the media after they ask him about losing the entire offense. They seem to be on the same level.

In fairness to the club, I believe that they paid Powell his bonus anyway. He didn't like sitting out because he wanted to play and actually earn the rushing title fair and square, but OSEG paid him as if he did.

I am as angry as anyone at Campbell's amateur hour mistake, but even if the REDBLACKS had pulled that one out their fundamental problem (non-existent offense) remains. To call our offense anemic would be polite. The guy who should be in the line of fire is the GM, who let Trevor Harris walk and was arrogant enough to think we could plug and play two backups with no dropout in performance. Oops. It's going to be a long year, I'm afraid - I think we're heading to 5-13.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I actually think he should be fired over that decision.

That was insane!
I agree! Instead of gifting them an easy chance for a field goal win, Campbell should have forced Calgary to score a touchdown!

It's much easier for a team to score a 3 point field goal from the 40 yard line than to score a 6 point touchdown from there. JMHO.

It looked to me that the outcome of the game was fixed for Calgary to win. Campbell complied with this pre-arrangement by conceding the safety! Fire his ass to the curb. He makes too many stupid decisions IMHO.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
At least our D is really good. We could have lost by a lot more.
Our D is good till it spends too much time on the field defending. Our lack of a little sustained offense, kills our D in a real hurry.

If Bo Levi Mitchell wasn't injured, Calgary would have easily blown our RedBlacks out IMHO.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Yeah it was amazing we were in that game at all. They had double our possession time and most of our yards and 1st downs came off their penalties. And yet somehow, finally at the end of the game, we drew up a good play and executed it for a TD and actually had a chance to win it. I was thinking maybe that pass will give Jennings some confidence and he can move on. And then a miraculous turnover forced by Tindall on our goal line to keep the lead and i was starting to think maybe this is our lucky day.

But we would have been punting out of our end zone, they could have got a return or even a no yards penalty to have them inside our 35. I remember thinking this is a tough choice and just as i was thinking maybe they should punt it anyway and try and hang on, we conceded the safety. Didnt force much worse field position on them either. But it was a tough choice.

I guess we did snatch defeat from victory, but we were that close to snatching victory when it seemed totally undeserved, so its no quite the same trauma to me. Yeah its looking like a long season

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Man, there is some bad football being played in this league right now. BC and Toronto are both flat out terrible, and we aren't much better. With Masoli going down for the year in Hamilton, that is one more marquee player and skilled QB gone, meaning Hamilton is going to have to play a conservative, ball possession kind of game to win. For a league that relies on scoring and competitive balance to sell tickets, it's not great news. I'm a huge CFL guy and I believe the league will bounce back but it feels like a bit of a down year across the board right now...

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I hope they are churning NFL rosters and Universities for a future QB. Offensive CoOrdinator as well and new blood with that, not a recycle from some other failure.
We may need to look harder at the Alouettes way.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Man, there is some bad football being played in this league right now. BC and Toronto are both flat out terrible, and we aren't much better. With Masoli going down for the year in Hamilton, that is one more marquee player and skilled QB gone, meaning Hamilton is going to have to play a conservative, ball possession kind of game to win. For a league that relies on scoring and competitive balance to sell tickets, it's not great news. I'm a huge CFL guy and I believe the league will bounce back but it feels like a bit of a down year across the board right now...
I feel like the CFL hit it's peak in the 90's. Star players were star players and recognizable and had long careers. Now it seems there are a lot of average players who have good seasons. I think it's just how salaries have widened between the NFL and CFL and smaller leagues now being viable options. League really needed to expand smartly when it went to the states. should have stayed close to the boarder. There are enough football fans in the US that the CFL could eek out some success there.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The old, "airlift in a bunch of NFL cuts" strategy doesn't work anymore, unfortunately. When a guy gets cut in the NFL now, he usually spends the rest of the season waiting for the phone to ring and trying to get on someone's practice roster. Only when they are totally out of options come the off-season will they come to the CFL. This coming off-season, there will also be the XFL competing for players, although I think that will be temporary - the history of Spring leagues is universally dismal.

Lonnie Loach

Feb 2, 2004
New York, NY
For the life of me, I don't understand the negativity over the Redblacks. This GM and head coach have experienced unprecedented success, 1 Grey Cup Championship, 3 Grey Cup appearances. These guys know what they're doing, they see the shortcomings, they're trying to fix them and I have every belief they will. They've proven as much. I wonder whether people truly realize how lucky this city is to have Desjardins and Campbell. But, 6 games into a season where everyone knew they would have some early season growing pains people are throwing them under the bus. Unbelievable. Let's look at the players who moved on: Does anyone remember how the very immobile Trevor Harris fared in games against better defenses, including in the Grey Cup (many people wanted him benched last season), before surrounding him with not one, but 2 import O-lineman to compensate for his deficiencies, Ellingston has clearly lost some speed (not to mention the DUI in the offseason -- hardly something a community-oriented organization would be happy about), Sir V is getting up there in age (heck, the one Grey Cup they did win, he was injured and didn't play) and is injured in Edmonton, and while Powell is very good, import running backs are a dime a dozen in the CFL. I understand the moves, they were rational but clearly not without risk, and I continue to have confidence in management. If anything my criticism is that Campbell has been too loyal. I'd have moved on from our special teams coach a year ago (cost Sask a Grey Cup, probably cost the RBs a Grey Cup last year...….and if you look at the last game the coverage teams probably cost the RBs the game).

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
For the life of me, I don't understand the negativity over the Redblacks. This GM and head coach have experienced unprecedented success, 1 Grey Cup Championship, 3 Grey Cup appearances. These guys know what they're doing, they see the shortcomings, they're trying to fix them and I have every belief they will. They've proven as much. I wonder whether people truly realize how lucky this city is to have Desjardins and Campbell. But, 6 games into a season where everyone knew they would have some early season growing pains people are throwing them under the bus. Unbelievable. Let's look at the players who moved on: Does anyone remember how the very immobile Trevor Harris fared in games against better defenses, including in the Grey Cup (many people wanted him benched last season), before surrounding him with not one, but 2 import O-lineman to compensate for his deficiencies, Ellingston has clearly lost some speed (not to mention the DUI in the offseason -- hardly something a community-oriented organization would be happy about), Sir V is getting up there in age (heck, the one Grey Cup they did win, he was injured and didn't play) and is injured in Edmonton, and while Powell is very good, import running backs are a dime a dozen in the CFL. I understand the moves, they were rational but clearly not without risk, and I continue to have confidence in management. If anything my criticism is that Campbell has been too loyal. I'd have moved on from our special teams coach a year ago (cost Sask a Grey Cup, probably cost the RBs a Grey Cup last year...….and if you look at the last game the coverage teams probably cost the RBs the game).
Its actually really hard to assemble a solid roster and seeing Ottawa had a great core and managed to let almost all of their stars go turns people off. Seems like Ottawa hit that profit point/expendable asset scenario. Hard to be a fan of a team in the CFL when so many players change.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Even in the NFL, though, there is significant roster churn. That's just the nature of football, where careers are short and teams are constantly looking to upgrade. If you're a casual NFL fan you see Tom Brady's name, but easily forget that virtually his entire offense other than him has turned over from just a couple of seasons ago. I'd say the difference in the CFL is that even the marquee names move around sometimes, whereas in the NFL they rarely let their big name QBs go once they have one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad