OT: Ottawa REDBLACKS 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Madu and the defense were great. Good QB play and it's a blowout.

Yep, this summarizes it perfectly. Even better - can you imagine Trevor Harris back at QB for us? We win that game by 30. Hopefully the coaching staff has a good look at the game film and realizes that they need to give Jennings a look. Even after they announced Davis as the starter, I felt that Jennings would have the job by about week. Yesterday confirmed that for me.

On the positive side, lights out defense, and the all Canadian offensive line didn't give up a single sack. I was concerned about not having the now-conventional mountainous American at left tackle, but Mark Korte proved me wrong.

I love that all of the so-called experts picked this team to have a losing season. We seem to do our best work as the no-respect underdog anyway...

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
DaringFeminineDodo-size_restricted.gif

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Great resilience to keep plugging away and stick with the plan. A very well deserved victory...that D looked dominant.

Davis was off target almost all night but could have been jitters too.

Dude needs to plant his feet and turn his shoulders though...he was throwing (ha! It autocorrected to tebowing! Also accurate) off balance and off his back foot all night. Also curious about how quick he is? I expected more scrambled from him but he hung in the pocket with poise...is that because he just doesnt like to? Anyone know?

Jennings will be a dual threat back there but dont forget he was an INT machine the last couple of years.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm convinced that Jennings was just in a bad situation in BC the last couple of years. Wally Bueno was clearly looking to retire, and that Jackwagon Ed Hervey thought that the best way to motivate Jennings was to publicly call him out. He needed a fresh start, and it's worth noting that he's only 26 - still young in QB terms.

If in fact this is Ottawa's template - play great D and special teams, and grind it out on the ground on offense to win the time of possession battle - it's not a bad one. A lot of teams have won championships using that model...

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Davis is having a really good game. 3 touchdowns, 300 yards, a high pass completion percentage and no interceptions. Also scrambling out of the pocket really well and can run the ball.

Reactions: DrEasy

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Randle played really poorly at corner - he was getting victimized all night, as the Riders found the weak link in Ottawa's secondary and dined out on it. He'll need to turn it around quickly or he'll be replaced.

You can see now why Ottawa let Ellingson walk - they now have two players in Rhymes and Harris who can soak up his receptions and at a far cheaper price.

As yes, Davis looked very good. I was critical of him last week and would still like to see Jennings in there just to get a better look at him, but a performance like that will silence critics like myself for a while...

Reactions: Blarginator

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Randle played really poorly at corner - he was getting victimized all night, as the Riders found the weak link in Ottawa's secondary and dined out on it. He'll need to turn it around quickly or he'll be replaced.

You can see now why Ottawa let Ellingson walk - they now have two players in Rhymes and Harris who can soak up his receptions and at a far cheaper price.

As yes, Davis looked very good. I was critical of him last week and would still like to see Jennings in there just to get a better look at him, but a performance like that will silence critics like myself for a while...

Well, at least for a week. Ottawa is still a city that's very hard on QBs, although Davis did deserve criticism last week.

Reactions: Blarginator

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Was a fun game. Those 2 ft long hot dogs smothered in mac'n cheese and doritos were a sight. Lots of fun little games during timeouts too. Davis made some good plays although a few times i was incredulous he actually threw into some coverages but i guess his receiver must've said throw me the ball even if covered. But Davis came through quite a bit more than i was expecting. Madu i guess was better than Powell although i didnt see their final stats. I dont who this Lankford guy is, but he ran back all the kicks and was pretty impressive, he looks like a keeper. 2-0, i didnt see that one coming

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Davis beat the defending Grey Cup Champions, he gave up four interceptions, but two of them were off the receivers hands & not his fault. Then he beats a good Saskachewan team throwing for over 300 yards & putting up 44 pts & no interceptions. I don't think you ask much more from this guy after two games considering most thought they would stink this yr. Davis has a stronger arm than Harris especially to the sidelines & downfield, he can run or throw on the run, has good size, is strong on his feet & basically just lacks experience but has shown in the first two games at least that he's gaining that while winning.

They look good out of the gate, especially last night & I'm not a Redblacks fan. They need better support or a better corner than Randle, he got beat a lot last night. Ottawa has a good GM, a good HC, good special teams (kickers) & a good defence with the exception of Randle at corner & a pretty good offence with at least two good QBs.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrunkUncleDenis

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well, at least for a week. Ottawa is still a city that's very hard on QBs, although Davis did deserve criticism last week.

Well, they have a bye next week, so I'll have to shut my yap for at least two weeks. :)

I'm a guy who thinks it is always good to have two QBs ready - in this league, you often see situations where the starter goes down and a team's season is essentially over the minute it happens. If Campbell plays this right and has both guys getting at least some work, the team will be in much better shape for the second half of the season.

No one talks much about kickers, but man it is ever money to have Ward around. In the early days of the REDBLACKS, kicking was our sore spot - it was wildly inconsistent. Finding a money field goal kicker and a great punter is one of those things that helps you win close ones like last night...

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Burris was old and didn't play that well during his tenure here. He did manage to win a title but for the most part was just below average. Harris never looked really good and was the best option at the time.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Burris was old and didn't play that well during his tenure here. He did manage to win a title but for the most part was just below average. Harris never looked really good and was the best option at the time.
How can you say that when Burris won a Grey Cup? Man ... what do fans want from players more than winning the championship, Harris didn't?

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Well, they have a bye next week, so I'll have to shut my yap for at least two weeks. :)

I'm a guy who thinks it is always good to have two QBs ready - in this league, you often see situations where the starter goes down and a team's season is essentially over the minute it happens. If Campbell plays this right and has both guys getting at least some work, the team will be in much better shape for the second half of the season.

No one talks much about kickers, but man it is ever money to have Ward around. In the early days of the REDBLACKS, kicking was our sore spot - it was wildly inconsistent. Finding a money field goal kicker and a great punter is one of those things that helps you win close ones like last night...

Agreed on all parts here.

Maher, Milo, both were very inconsistent. Made me nervous as a fan. Having Ward is awesome

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
How can you say that when Burris won a Grey Cup? Man ... what do fans want from players more than winning the championship, Harris didn't?
Not sure if you watched that season but he was very inconsistent as well as the team. The east was terrible and we still won it with a losing record. Nothing about that season screamed out eventual championship material. I was very happy they won but they got lucky like the Raptors this season. The quality of the league has really fallen off from years past. A lot of those games where hard to watch.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Not sure if you watched that season but he was very inconsistent as well as the team. The east was terrible and we still won it with a losing record. Nothing about that season screamed out eventual championship material. I was very happy they won but they got lucky like the Raptors this season. The quality of the league has really fallen off from years past. A lot of those games where hard to watch.
I'm a STH & have been from the beginning, Burris was so much better than Harris especially in the yr they won the cup. Burris had some injuries where Harris looked good in some games but overall Burris has been & was the better QB IMO. Harris looked like the better player because he was younger & came with a lot of hype but he doesn't have the arm strength for sideline passes or down field very deep. He is excellent in the middle about 25 yards downfield but gets shaky with longer distances, he also has good touch but again within his throwing arm distance. Davis has a much stronger arm than Harris too.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I'm a STH & have been from the beginning, Burris was so much better than Harris especially in the yr they won the cup. Burris had some injuries where Harris looked good in some games but overall Burris has been & was the better QB IMO. Harris looked like the better player because he was younger & came with a lot of hype but he doesn't have the arm strength for sideline passes or down field very deep. He is excellent in the middle about 25 yards downfield but gets shaky with longer distances, he also has good touch but again within his throwing arm distance. Davis has a much stronger arm than Harris too.
I agree.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Soooo, the East is really bad once again this year.

Hamilton has dominated their way through three games, outscoring their opponents by almost 100 points so far. Montreal and Toronto are each winless and have been blown out by the Ti Cats.

I'm hoping Ottawa can at least make the playoffs this season, which I think they should be. We lost a ton of talent in the offseason - not just Harris, Ellingson and Spencer, but also a late retiree and a late offensive coordinator departure. It's such a messy offseason, but so far so good.

Reactions: thinkwild
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad