Speculation: Ottawa offer sheet for Barzal

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Melnyk is a cheapskate so this won't happen. And if it did he'd be stupid... he'd give up four (probably) top 5-10 picks.

Isles fans just for the hell of it; would you take four 1st round picks from Ottawa?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Melnyk is a cheapskate so this won't happen. And if it did he'd be stupid... he'd give up four (probably) top 5-10 picks.

Isles fans just for the hell of it; would you take four 1st round picks from Ottawa?
If Ottawa had ownership that would spend,then its more than likely we arent a lottery team...Come on now

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Isles were on a losing streak but it’s not a guarantee they would have missed the playoffs. Getting to the conference finals isn’t really lucky. They earned it.

The isles have a couple of tough contracts but their cap issues are overblown. It’s manageable. Let’s see what happens in the offseason. I wouldn’t judge until after this year.

as for an Offersheet for Barzal, I guess it’s possible but offer sheets rarely get signed. If Barzal did happen to sign one the islanders would match anything within reason.

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Isles were on a losing streak but it’s not a guarantee they would have missed the playoffs. Getting to the conference finals isn’t really lucky. They earned it.

The isles have a couple of tough contracts but their cap issues are overblown. It’s manageable. Let’s see what happens in the offseason. I wouldn’t judge until after this year.

as for an Offersheet for Barzal, I guess it’s possible but offer sheets rarely get signed. If Barzal did happen to sign one the islanders would match anything within reason.
Yeah even if they lose this has been a great season for the Ilses,Barzal needs better wingers on that top line,but also needs to keep that great team game going...Very interesting offseason coming up for them

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

Barzal has elite talents. He just turned 23 and Barry Trotz has turned him into a complete player. Guys like that don’t grow on trees. Draft picks are hit or miss. Isles have had a bunch of top5 picks that haven’t worked out. In Fact, most of our good first rounders besides Tavares and Bailey came outside of the top10.

Personally I’d rather keep the 23 year old #1 center.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Overpaying Barzal at 11 million? That's barely an over pay. Barzal is close to a 10 million dollar player nowadays, I wouldn't be shocked at all to see him get 8 years, 10 million. Isles aren't going to let him go over 1 million.
Seems about right. Pulock is then pretty vulnerable. Good sized RHD is not something NYI want to lose. The problem is that an offersheet compensation for that guy might be smaller than the cost of a trade.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
If we were talking about a team in a similar situation to the Sens, who weren't actually the Sens, this might make sense. But the Sens as they exist in the world today, are not offersheeting anyone. Maybe the Red Wings would, idk.

And I suspect that you'd have to go to 12m or 13m before the Islanders even dream of taking the picks. If they give up Barzal that's an instant rebuild, and why would a team who's playing in the ECF right now even consider a rebuild, no matter how tight their cap situation is? Wishful thinking tbh.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Melnyk offer sheet, likely over 9 million? :laugh:
This is a plot from a 80s comedy where Melnyk hits his head and becomes possessed by the ghost of Cy Denneny and starts having spells when he aggressively tries to turn his team into a Stanley Cup winner. Melnyk played by Don Ameche*

*I know he’s been dead for 30 years, don’t ruin this for me.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

As S190 pointed out,Isles have had plenty of top 10 duds : Strome,Reinhart,MDC,Nino.
We'll stick with the 23 yr old 1C we have.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
88 million reasons why. Plus he will play with a wing who can be a star power forward and ride shotgun for him. Not to mention if they choose , they can draft one of the top 2 wings in this draft and another top center prospect. They have a young d-man to PP the QB. Why would he play for the Islanders? They are a team who will be in cap hell next year and much longer. They are not a young team he can grow with in most positions. They are a team that relies on a 4th line to win more games for them than any team in hockey and they will absolutely lose 2/3 of that 4th line in free agency due to their cap problems. They were a team that was going to miss the playoffs also if not for Covid which saved their behinds.
Ottawa can't offer 8 years.

Reactions: Ciao and topshelf15

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Seems about right. Pulock is then pretty vulnerable. Good sized RHD is not something NYI want to lose. The problem is that an offersheet compensation for that guy might be smaller than the cost of a trade.

I dont see anyway Lou lets either of Pulock or Barzal go. If need be the isles will be able to offload Leddy quite easily.

I could see a scenario that would involve moving Toews for a top 6 winger.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Ottawa offersheeting Barzel to a contract NY wouldn't match is just as funny as people believing broke Zona was going to offer sheet Mathews at the full 20% of the cap allowed under the CBA .

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Umm Barzal has to sign any offer sheet as well .....
Why would he ? Honest question . Maybe if he wins a cup in LI this year but he seems to like it there and the new arena opens soon . I am not trashing the Sens but why would he sign an offer sheet to go from a contender to a team in a rebuild
Why would he want to play for a rebuilding team when he just tasted three rounds of SC hockey playoff? Do not see him move just for the money. This thread is from someone try so hard to screw Isles's long term cap situation and I can't see Ottawa doing it because they are not a rival team. He may be more interested in either stay long term or try to get a five-year RFA contract to see if he can play for either Vancouver or Seattle down the road as he is a BC boy.

Did not I just read a lot of HB posters saying that Barzal is not elite yet so why would he get paid like one right now just for the sake of screwing the Isles cap further?

Winning the Calder does not guarantee you get an offer sheet. Isles will pay Barzal but the amount will be similar to what Point and Aho got and I would argue even less because both have outproduced him this season. Ottawa will not be on his list of preferred destinations to play his RFA years out.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThreeLeftSkates

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Is Melnyk still running the team? If so I doubt he would shell out the cash to make him interested.

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
Melnyk: We'll offer the max offer sheet for Barzel (as a bluff, fully knowing he doesn't have the funds)
Barzel and Co: We accept your offer
NYI: We'll take our chances with the 4 1st's and cap space
Melnyk: "Gulp"

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Lou would put a hit out on the entire city of Ottawa if this happens, which it won't.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Watching Lou screw the Islanders cap up beyond belief I see this as a possibility. Lou saved by Covid as his team would have missed the playoffs and his Pageau trade would have been a total failure. Islanders have to sign Barzal, Pullock and Toews without much cap room to do so. They will surely lose Martin and Clutterbuck even if those first 3 RFA's sign for cheaper which they won't. Ottawa is drafting 3rd and 5th overall, have another first rounder and have 4 second round picks. They have 3, 2nd round picks next year. They badly need a number 1 center to go with Tkachuk who is ready to break out to be a star.

I would not be surprised to see the Sens overpay and offer Barzal a 8 year, 88 million dollar contract and give up the 4 first rounders. You make two up this year because you have 3 first rounders. You get another first rounder back if you add Barzal. Maybe with all those second rounders you hit on one being a first round talent. I believe this would be one of the rare cases where giving up those picks makes sense. I also see the Sens not being in the lottery at least one year after that deal with the further development of some of the young players they already have. They should be a playoff team in another year.

Even if the Islanders match that contract at worst you would severely hurt their ability to build a deep team for years and they are a team you have to compete against in the East. I see Barzal who is from Canada having no issues going for that money.

Can only offer 7 years

First off you can only offer a 7 yr offer sheet

Second, compensation us ottas next 4 1st round picks. Remrmber you can offer sheet him only when UFA signing starts AFTER the draft.

You could negotiate a trade in lieu of four first round picks. See if isles accept it. Likely not.

Ottawa can't offer 8 years.
I don't know how well you follow the National Hockey League, but it would actually be very surprising to see the Ottawa Senators offer Matt Barzal an eight-year $88-million contract that violates the CBA and would expose four unprotected first-round draft picks.

Even if the offer were made, Barzal could not accept it for want of compliance with the CBA, and we might never hear about it.

Furthermore, even if it were compliant, Ottawa would be crazy to expose four unprotected firsts, and Barzal would be very unlikely to accept in any event.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Watching Lou screw the Islanders cap up beyond belief I see this as a possibility. Lou saved by Covid as his team would have missed the playoffs and his Pageau trade would have been a total failure. Islanders have to sign Barzal, Pullock and Toews without much cap room to do so. They will surely lose Martin and Clutterbuck even if those first 3 RFA's sign for cheaper which they won't. Ottawa is drafting 3rd and 5th overall, have another first rounder and have 4 second round picks. They have 3, 2nd round picks next year. They badly need a number 1 center to go with Tkachuk who is ready to break out to be a star.

I would not be surprised to see the Sens overpay and offer Barzal a 8 year, 88 million dollar contract and give up the 4 first rounders. You make two up this year because you have 3 first rounders. You get another first rounder back if you add Barzal. Maybe with all those second rounders you hit on one being a first round talent. I believe this would be one of the rare cases where giving up those picks makes sense. I also see the Sens not being in the lottery at least one year after that deal with the further development of some of the young players they already have. They should be a playoff team in another year.

Even if the Islanders match that contract at worst you would severely hurt their ability to build a deep team for years and they are a team you have to compete against in the East. I see Barzal who is from Canada having no issues going for that money.

Ottawa is last team that should be doing this, they are rebuilding, so it can go south quickly.

Also Eugene Melnyk will have a heart attack when he sees the financial numbers.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Ottawa giving up that many firsts while rebuilding would be insane. Even for a beauty like Barzel.

This isn't happening.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
No. It's not insane. What is it that people here can't understand? You are getting a proven 23 year old player who is a first rounder. So now you give up only 3. You have 3 first rounders this year, 2 in the top 5. So now you give up one. You have 7, second rounders the next two years. Who gives a crap if you have 3 first rounders all in one year compared to 4 spaced over four years. You still have to make the right picks. Plus, there is no way after at least one season that Ottawa will be picking in the top 15 with Barzal and the rest of the young players improving. So when you get past the top 12, that's when you get a much higher bust rate with those picks. Look at Lazar. Bust. Ceci nothing to write home about as a player. Noesen and Puempel. Busts. White taken 21st looks like a role player. Just because you have first round picks, especially out of the top 12, doesn't mean you are going to pick a franchise changing player. Or even a good NHL player.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Would be a smart move by Montreal. They have the cap space to do it and are much closer to competing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad