Speculation: Ottawa offer sheet for Barzal

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
You didn't ready anything that was posted. For starters, Barzal is a proven, first round pick who is young so you are only giving up three now. Second, you have 3 picks in the first round this year, two in the top 5 so now you are only giving up one first rounder. Then you have 7, second round picks the next 2 years. Odds are that at least one of those picks will be a player 3-4 years from now that people say should have gone in the first round. Ottawa is not going to be picking in the top 10 if they get Barzal. Do some research. They have several young players about ready to break through. They should be a playoff team in his second year there. The odds that any of those first round picks starting next year will be better than Barzal is low. There are a lot of bad teams in the NHL that will finish lower than Ottawa next season if they get Barzal. San Jose, Detroit, NJ, LA, Anaheim and very possibly Buffalo, Arizona, Chicago, Minnesota, Montreal. Barzal to Ottawa would be worth at least 8 to 10 more wins his first year there. As far as Barzal going there. I could give you millions of reasons. It's about money. Plus, as Tavares showed you, the Islanders are not a team that players with options choose to stay with.

Barzal is not from Toronto nor Ottawa, he is a BC boy and RFA does not sign to go home as he can do that when he turns UFA when he get married and have young kids. Isles made the playoff two years in a row & made the semi-final this year, why would he takes a chance of maybe that Ottawa will make the playoff in 2 years just because Chobot and a couple of big 1st round pick this year and then has to settle in a new city too. Why would not Sens just hold on to all their picks and keeping adding young players assets enough to trade for upgrades so they can be competitive in 3 years without being in cap hell? I do not see Barzal wants to waste 2 or 3 of his RFA years with a rebuilding team. If he does sign an offer sheet somewhere else he will pick a team that already made the playoff this season. Seems like these rumors are not valid and only created by someone trying to make Isles overpay Barzal by much (as to comparable contracts like what Point and Aho got last summer).

Reactions: The Real JT

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
You didn't ready anything that was posted. For starters, Barzal is a proven, first round pick who is young so you are only giving up three now. Second, you have 3 picks in the first round this year, two in the top 5 so now you are only giving up one first rounder. Then you have 7, second round picks the next 2 years. Odds are that at least one of those picks will be a player 3-4 years from now that people say should have gone in the first round. Ottawa is not going to be picking in the top 10 if they get Barzal. Do some research. They have several young players about ready to break through. They should be a playoff team in his second year there. The odds that any of those first round picks starting next year will be better than Barzal is low. There are a lot of bad teams in the NHL that will finish lower than Ottawa next season if they get Barzal. San Jose, Detroit, NJ, LA, Anaheim and very possibly Buffalo, Arizona, Chicago, Minnesota, Montreal. Barzal to Ottawa would be worth at least 8 to 10 more wins his first year there. As far as Barzal going there. I could give you millions of reasons. It's about money. Plus, as Tavares showed you, the Islanders are not a team that players with options choose to stay with.

I just want to note that John Tavares signed an extension with the Isles after his ELC was done. He had the option to sign an offer sheet and didn't. He only left after nine years of playing here because he felt that he had a better opportunity to win elsewhere.

Can we lock this thread? This is dumb.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Would you give up 4 top 5 picks for Barzal? Love him as a player but I sure wouldn't. Ottawa has a good shot at 1st overall again next year, and probably the year after that. I'd take my chances.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Watching Lou screw the Islanders cap up beyond belief I see this as a possibility. Lou saved by Covid as his team would have missed the playoffs and his Pageau trade would have been a total failure. Islanders have to sign Barzal, Pullock and Toews without much cap room to do so. They will surely lose Martin and Clutterbuck even if those first 3 RFA's sign for cheaper which they won't. Ottawa is drafting 3rd and 5th overall, have another first rounder and have 4 second round picks. They have 3, 2nd round picks next year. They badly need a number 1 center to go with Tkachuk who is ready to break out to be a star.

I would not be surprised to see the Sens overpay and offer Barzal a 8 year, 88 million dollar contract and give up the 4 first rounders. You make two up this year because you have 3 first rounders. You get another first rounder back if you add Barzal. Maybe with all those second rounders you hit on one being a first round talent. I believe this would be one of the rare cases where giving up those picks makes sense. I also see the Sens not being in the lottery at least one year after that deal with the further development of some of the young players they already have. They should be a playoff team in another year.

Even if the Islanders match that contract at worst you would severely hurt their ability to build a deep team for years and they are a team you have to compete against in the East. I see Barzal who is from Canada having no issues going for that money.

Melnyk paying 11 million during a pandemic for anyone, let alone Barzal, when he wouldn't give that money to one of his franchise's greatest players of all time...and somehow the Senators sign him for 8 years when you can only offer 7 - all while giving up 4 first rounders.

They're already getting to draft a franchise player, possibly a #1C , that will probably be making a huge chunk of change in 3 years.

This has to be the most ridiculous thread I've seen here in a long time, and that's really saying something.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
I'd do 1 first(+2nd and 3rd) no qiestion, but I'd hesitate greatly on 2 firsts.

The 2022 draft is looking STACKED, and while Sens might be improved enough by then, you never really know what could happen.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Watching Lou screw the Islanders cap up beyond belief I see this as a possibility. Lou saved by Covid as his team would have missed the playoffs and his Pageau trade would have been a total failure. Islanders have to sign Barzal, Pullock and Toews without much cap room to do so. They will surely lose Martin and Clutterbuck even if those first 3 RFA's sign for cheaper which they won't. Ottawa is drafting 3rd and 5th overall, have another first rounder and have 4 second round picks. They have 3, 2nd round picks next year. They badly need a number 1 center to go with Tkachuk who is ready to break out to be a star.

Awesome!

Never seen a post be started in a better manner than this one!

Reactions: PWJunior

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
No. It's not insane. What is it that people here can't understand? You are getting a proven 23 year old player who is a first rounder. So now you give up only 3. You have 3 first rounders this year, 2 in the top 5. So now you give up one. You have 7, second rounders the next two years. Who gives a crap if you have 3 first rounders all in one year compared to 4 spaced over four years. You still have to make the right picks. Plus, there is no way after at least one season that Ottawa will be picking in the top 15 with Barzal and the rest of the young players improving. So when you get past the top 12, that's when you get a much higher bust rate with those picks. Look at Lazar. Bust. Ceci nothing to write home about as a player. Noesen and Puempel. Busts. White taken 21st looks like a role player. Just because you have first round picks, especially out of the top 12, doesn't mean you are going to pick a franchise changing player. Or even a good NHL player.
We understand that a Ranger fan is not behind the wheel in Ottawa. Some of you are more obsessed with eliminating the Isles by having their best players defect than you are with improving your own team by unloading Strome and ADA for future HOF players.

Reactions: PWJunior

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad