Speculation: Ottawa offer sheet for Barzal

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
If you are giving up 4 1's a) you need an owner who isn't cheap b)you need to be a playoff team and not give up 4 top 10 picks. That isn't the Sens.

Technically only one of those picks is a top-10 currently. Ottawa owns 3 & 5. If they were to offersheet they would lose the 5th (Ottawa's 1st) and draft with the 3rd OA.

Ottawa adds Stutzle/Byfield + Barzal. Does that make them a playoff team? Not a surefire one, but they could start to compete for a WC spot.

It's an intriguing idea and not one that definitely makes Ottawa a loser. But, that being said, Melnyk will probably take the safer route to "building" a team...

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Watching Lou screw the Islanders cap up beyond belief I see this as a possibility. Lou saved by Covid as his team would have missed the playoffs and his Pageau trade would have been a total failure. Islanders have to sign Barzal, Pullock and Toews without much cap room to do so. They will surely lose Martin and Clutterbuck even if those first 3 RFA's sign for cheaper which they won't. Ottawa is drafting 3rd and 5th overall, have another first rounder and have 4 second round picks. They have 3, 2nd round picks next year. They badly need a number 1 center to go with Tkachuk who is ready to break out to be a star.

I would not be surprised to see the Sens overpay and offer Barzal a 8 year, 88 million dollar contract and give up the 4 first rounders. You make two up this year because you have 3 first rounders. You get another first rounder back if you add Barzal. Maybe with all those second rounders you hit on one being a first round talent. I believe this would be one of the rare cases where giving up those picks makes sense. I also see the Sens not being in the lottery at least one year after that deal with the further development of some of the young players they already have. They should be a playoff team in another year.

First off you can only offer a 7 yr offer sheet

Second, compensation us ottas next 4 1st round picks. Remrmber you can offer sheet him only when UFA signing starts AFTER the draft.

You could negotiate a trade in lieu of four first round picks. See if isles accept it. Likely not.

Reactions: Ciao

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Technically only one of those picks is a top-10 currently. Ottawa owns 3 & 5. If they were to offersheet they would lose the 5th (Ottawa's 1st) and draft with the 3rd OA.

Ottawa adds Stutzle/Byfield + Barzal. Does that make them a playoff team? Not a surefire one, but they could start to compete for a WC spot.

It's an intriguing idea and not one that definitely makes Ottawa a loser. But, that being said, Melnyk will probably take the safer route to "building" a team...
Picks start in 2021 so not even this year. Barzal alone doesn't make them a playoff team and to potentially lose pick 1 in 2022 is horrifically stupid.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Picks start in 2021 so not even this year. Barzal alone doesn't make them a playoff team and to potentially lose pick 1 in 2022 is horrifically stupid.

Ottawa keeps 3 and 5 and gets to add Barzal? That would most likely make them a playoff team by the 2022 draft. Don't forget other teams will start to regress. I'm not saying this offersheet idea is the best thing to do, but to say that's its an outright stupid move is a little foolish in my opinion. 2021 draft looks weak, 2022 looks good but like I said Ottawa 'should' be much better by then.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Ottawa keeps 3 and 5 and gets to add Barzal? That would most likely make them a playoff team by the 2022 draft. Don't forget other teams will start to regress. I'm not saying this offersheet idea is the best thing to do, but to say that's its an outright stupid move is a little foolish in my opinion. 2021 draft looks weak, 2022 looks good but like I said Ottawa 'should' be much better by then.
Unless you are a lock team to make the playoffs it is horrifically stupid. Give an example example when Flyers offer sheeted Gratton they would have given up a lot of 1's.

Thankfully ESPO was even a worse gm and asked for Renberg back instead. Who would the 1's have been? Flyers were able to draft Gagne and J Williams(stupid they traded him).

Imagine with ping pong bounce you lose one of Shane Wright, Matthew Savoie and Brad Lambert. and 3 more 1's. 4 1's if you are pick 25ish ok that case you can make make. 4 1's when you were 2nd worst team in hockey there is no case to make.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Let’s forget Melnyk won’t pay that. 4 Sens 1st round picks for Barzal??? Maybe, like Maybe the final 2 picks will be slightly lower in the draft. But the next 2 picks will probably be pretty high. As much of a stud Barzal is we need those 4 picks more than an impact player now

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Ottawa isn't paying anyone 10 million. Chabot at $8 will be the highest cap hit on the team for at least the next three seasons.
Perhaps they meant 10 million Canadian. That’s more in line with Melnyks budget.

I can’t see Ottawa overpaying or even competitively paying a top star until there’s a shakeup management wise. I originally thought a new arena would do it, but with Covid even that is less of a sure thing.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Watching Lou screw the Islanders cap up beyond belief I see this as a possibility. Lou saved by Covid as his team would have missed the playoffs and his Pageau trade would have been a total failure. Islanders have to sign Barzal, Pullock and Toews without much cap room to do so. They will surely lose Martin and Clutterbuck even if those first 3 RFA's sign for cheaper which they won't. Ottawa is drafting 3rd and 5th overall, have another first rounder and have 4 second round picks. They have 3, 2nd round picks next year. They badly need a number 1 center to go with Tkachuk who is ready to break out to be a star.

I would not be surprised to see the Sens overpay and offer Barzal a 8 year, 88 million dollar contract and give up the 4 first rounders. You make two up this year because you have 3 first rounders. You get another first rounder back if you add Barzal. Maybe with all those second rounders you hit on one being a first round talent. I believe this would be one of the rare cases where giving up those picks makes sense. I also see the Sens not being in the lottery at least one year after that deal with the further development of some of the young players they already have. They should be a playoff team in another year.

Even if the Islanders match that contract at worst you would severely hurt their ability to build a deep team for years and they are a team you have to compete against in the East. I see Barzal who is from Canada having no issues going for that money.

So, you think Barzal,who publicly talks about how close a locker room the isles have and who is best friends with Beau, is leaving a team that just made the ECF, for a rebuilding Sens team?

Go watch and read Barzal's comments about what a blast he and his teammates are having in the bubble.

Also,the isles will view Barzal as their #1 off season priority. He will get the $8m they already have,while they will scramble to free up $ for Pulock,their second priority.

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Even if we had an owner that would spend,its not something I could see us doing TBH....Ottawa has shown it can draft good /great players ...Why would we not just draft and sign our own guys,and not bother poaching

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Overpaying Barzal at 11 million? That's barely an over pay. Barzal is close to a 10 million dollar player nowadays, I wouldn't be shocked at all to see him get 8 years, 10 million. Isles aren't going to let him go over 1 million.
Barzal doesn’t get anywhere near 11 million from the Islanders. They’re going to try and get him to sign for the Point or Aho contracts. There’s a pretty good argument to be made that he should get less than that, too. And, I can’t imagine GMs are going to be as willing to hand out those contracts with the flat cap.

Reactions: Guttersniped

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yeah Barzal isnt leaving NY,they need to get him a better wing option than Eberle though.....Solid player,but no where near good enough for Barzal

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
Redundant post im sure but the last team id bet on to make an offer sheet is the Sens.

Melnyk is by far, the cheapest, and probably one of the least wealthy owners in the league.

Assets aside to give up as comp. , he will never shell out top dollar to pry away a player like that. He wont even open the vault for his own mvp players

Reactions: topshelf15

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
On the one hand, if Ottawa were to sign Barzal, they would likely improve, so those picks may not be as valuable as they would be without him in the lineup...

With that said, if they stay the course by building through the draft, it's possible and perhaps even probable that they'll land a player as good as Barzal (or close to it) over the course of the next 4 drafts...

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I could see Buffalo, Calgary, and Winnipeg going all in for Barzal...

Cross off any team going thru a rebuild. Barzal's not gonna be interested in rebuilding or retooling.

Barzal feels he'll sign with Islanders, hasn't had talks during pause
"My first year, we weren't in the playoffs I think with 11 or 12 games left. It was really no fun. You just really didn't have a sense of competitiveness, whereas being in the playoff fight the last two years has been a blast for me and my teammates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->