Speculation: Ottawa offer sheet for Barzal

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
And there's another factor.

With Ottawa being cash poor and with a lot of young assets, if we spend all our money on Barzal, there's one hell of a great opportunity for the rest of the league to dive in an offer sheet our kids down the road. That 3rd and 5th overall picks, Brady Tkachuk, Batherson, Formenton....

Barzal is a nice player and all, but he isn't worth four first rounders (some of whom will be lotto eligible picks) and the poaching risk on top of that.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
I don't know that I would ever give up 4 1st round draft picks. That's way too steep. Maybe McDavid? Like 4 1st rounders, you have to think in a couple years that's 4 solid guys on your team who can play up and down the roster, maybe only 1 is a star, maybe 2 are stars, but the others are at least solid depth players.

And ELC players are the most valuable players right now. That's 4 real solid contributors on ELC. That's so value in a cap era, especially if the cap doesn't move much. Not to mention how much you'd have to pay Barzal. Because it's not even "I get the player and I can negotiate to pay him whatever I want."

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
What makes u think Barzal would want to go from NY and competition to Ott and bottom dwelling

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Were it not for Melnyk, I'd go all in for Barzal.

Barzal
Byfield/Stutzle
Norris
Brown
Tierney (if re-signed)

That's a lot of years of quality at C, and the potential to re-capture draft choices as players develop.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Ottawa already made that mistake once. When you're a terrible team you don't trade your first rounders, and definitely not your next 4. This can all be top 10 picks, and are likely to be.

Reactions: viper0220 and Ciao

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
You didn't ready anything that was posted. For starters, Barzal is a proven, first round pick who is young so you are only giving up three now. Second, you have 3 picks in the first round this year, two in the top 5 so now you are only giving up one first rounder. Then you have 7, second round picks the next 2 years. Odds are that at least one of those picks will be a player 3-4 years from now that people say should have gone in the first round. Ottawa is not going to be picking in the top 10 if they get Barzal. Do some research. They have several young players about ready to break through. They should be a playoff team in his second year there. The odds that any of those first round picks starting next year will be better than Barzal is low. There are a lot of bad teams in the NHL that will finish lower than Ottawa next season if they get Barzal. San Jose, Detroit, NJ, LA, Anaheim and very possibly Buffalo, Arizona, Chicago, Minnesota, Montreal. Barzal to Ottawa would be worth at least 8 to 10 more wins his first year there. As far as Barzal going there. I could give you millions of reasons. It's about money. Plus, as Tavares showed you, the Islanders are not a team that players with options choose to stay with.

Last edited:

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
usekakkorightquinn: are you out of you f***ing mind??!??!
Have you witnessed the Duchene debacle? We'll give up four first that will all be in the lottery... Sit back smoke joint, put some classical music on, open your bottle of kraken and relax. They're slowly rebuilding and let's go with the flow

:help:

Reactions: Ciao

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Watching Lou screw the Islanders cap up beyond belief I see this as a possibility. Lou saved by Covid as his team would have missed the playoffs and his Pageau trade would have been a total failure. Islanders have to sign Barzal, Pullock and Toews without much cap room to do so. They will surely lose Martin and Clutterbuck even if those first 3 RFA's sign for cheaper which they won't. Ottawa is drafting 3rd and 5th overall, have another first rounder and have 4 second round picks. They have 3, 2nd round picks next year. They badly need a number 1 center to go with Tkachuk who is ready to break out to be a star.

I would not be surprised to see the Sens overpay and offer Barzal a 8 year, 88 million dollar contract and give up the 4 first rounders. You make two up this year because you have 3 first rounders. You get another first rounder back if you add Barzal. Maybe with all those second rounders you hit on one being a first round talent. I believe this would be one of the rare cases where giving up those picks makes sense. I also see the Sens not being in the lottery at least one year after that deal with the further development of some of the young players they already have. They should be a playoff team in another year.

Even if the Islanders match that contract at worst you would severely hurt their ability to build a deep team for years and they are a team you have to compete against in the East. I see Barzal who is from Canada having no issues going for that money.
Lou has went on record saying he would match ANY ANY offer...this is a non issue

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
You e. As far as Barzal going there. I could give you millions of reasons. It's about money. Plus, as Tavares showed you, the Islanders are not a team that players with options choose to stay with.

1. Tavaraes left because of frustration. In 9 seasons on LI, the isles reached the playoffs twice and never advanced beyond the 2nd round.In Barzal's 3 seasons on LI, the team has reached the playoffs twice and this season made the ECF. Huge difference in how Barzal and Tavares view the organization.

2.Why do so many posters write as if the isle will asking Barzal to accept monopoly $ :laugh:. The isles have 3 rfa: Barzal/Pulock/Toews. Imo Toews and other pieces would be sacrificed long before losing Barzal(1C) and Pulock (top RHD).

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
I could give you millions of reasons. It's about money. Plus, as Tavares showed you, the Islanders are not a team that players with options choose to stay with.

Besides Pajama boy, what other player of note has intentionally left the Isles?

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
You didn't ready anything that was posted. For starters, Barzal is a proven, first round pick who is young so you are only giving up three now. Second, you have 3 picks in the first round this year, two in the top 5 so now you are only giving up one first rounder. Then you have 7, second round picks the next 2 years. Odds are that at least one of those picks will be a player 3-4 years from now that people say should have gone in the first round. Ottawa is not going to be picking in the top 10 if they get Barzal. Do some research. They have several young players about ready to break through. They should be a playoff team in his second year there. The odds that any of those first round picks starting next year will be better than Barzal is low. There are a lot of bad teams in the NHL that will finish lower than Ottawa next season if they get Barzal. San Jose, Detroit, NJ, LA, Anaheim and very possibly Buffalo, Arizona, Chicago, Minnesota, Montreal. Barzal to Ottawa would be worth at least 8 to 10 more wins his first year there. As far as Barzal going there. I could give you millions of reasons. It's about money. Plus, as Tavares showed you, the Islanders are not a team that players with options choose to stay with.
Part of the point of drafting well is to get a constant supply of young cheap talent on ELCs so drafting well in 2020 doesn’t make up for losing four 1sts in 2021-2024. Also contending teams need to make trades to fill in missing pieces and they sacrifice 1sts for that but the Sens wouldn’t have any therefore would have to cannibalize their 2nds & 3rds which means they wouldn’t be drafting with anything other than random darts in the later rounds. Draft picks are essential assets, sure they come and go, can be replaced or squandered but starting out not having 1sts for four years is a huge loss that means a lot of necessary flexibility in team building is gone.

Also, it would take a lot of $ to outbid the Isles for Barzal, the team is built around him with older more complimentary forwards so it’s not like Lou would shrug and let the heart of their offense walk.

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
The Sens need to follow the Tampa Bay Rays in terms of their model for building a solid roster. The Sens are an extreme budget team much like the Rays. Ottawa has to focus on cost-controlled players, drafting, and they'll need to hit on a few buy low and potentially overachieve type players. Perhaps splurging a little bit when they're at the brink of competing for a Stanley Cup (if everything else goes right).

So yea, making a move like this goes against pretty much all of that.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Watching Lou screw the Islanders cap up beyond belief I see this as a possibility. Lou saved by Covid as his team would have missed the playoffs and his Pageau trade would have been a total failure. Islanders have to sign Barzal, Pullock and Toews without much cap room to do so. They will surely lose Martin and Clutterbuck even if those first 3 RFA's sign for cheaper which they won't. Ottawa is drafting 3rd and 5th overall, have another first rounder and have 4 second round picks. They have 3, 2nd round picks next year. They badly need a number 1 center to go with Tkachuk who is ready to break out to be a star.

I would not be surprised to see the Sens overpay and offer Barzal a 8 year, 88 million dollar contract and give up the 4 first rounders. You make two up this year because you have 3 first rounders. You get another first rounder back if you add Barzal. Maybe with all those second rounders you hit on one being a first round talent. I believe this would be one of the rare cases where giving up those picks makes sense. I also see the Sens not being in the lottery at least one year after that deal with the further development of some of the young players they already have. They should be a playoff team in another year.

Even if the Islanders match that contract at worst you would severely hurt their ability to build a deep team for years and they are a team you have to compete against in the East. I see Barzal who is from Canada having no issues going for that money.

The only surprise would be Barzal actually signing with the chance that he would have to play in Melnyk-land.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Awful move by Ottawa (also not how the picks work).

Keep the cap space and draft a couple studs.

Reactions: topshelf15

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
88 million reasons why. Plus he will play with a wing who can be a star power forward and ride shotgun for him. Not to mention if they choose , they can draft one of the top 2 wings in this draft and another top center prospect. They have a young d-man to PP the QB. Why would he play for the Islanders? They are a team who will be in cap hell next year and much longer. They are not a young team he can grow with in most positions. They are a team that relies on a 4th line to win more games for them than any team in hockey and they will absolutely lose 2/3 of that 4th line in free agency due to their cap problems. They were a team that was going to miss the playoffs also if not for Covid which saved their behinds.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
You realize that teams can't just "offer sheet" someone right? I mean, a player has to sign it. Why does Barzal sign in OTT?
To be fair if Ottawa would be giving out an OS ,then its likely EM is gone....And Ottawa would be spending,with the huge amount of cap room,draft picks/prospects we have ..Means we would be a pretty good bet to come out of the rebuild far quicker..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->