Speculation: Ottawa offer sheet for Barzal

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Watching Lou screw the Islanders cap up beyond belief I see this as a possibility. Lou saved by Covid as his team would have missed the playoffs and his Pageau trade would have been a total failure. Islanders have to sign Barzal, Pullock and Toews without much cap room to do so. They will surely lose Martin and Clutterbuck even if those first 3 RFA's sign for cheaper which they won't. Ottawa is drafting 3rd and 5th overall, have another first rounder and have 4 second round picks. They have 3, 2nd round picks next year. They badly need a number 1 center to go with Tkachuk who is ready to break out to be a star.

I would not be surprised to see the Sens overpay and offer Barzal a 8 year, 88 million dollar contract and give up the 4 first rounders. You make two up this year because you have 3 first rounders. You get another first rounder back if you add Barzal. Maybe with all those second rounders you hit on one being a first round talent. I believe this would be one of the rare cases where giving up those picks makes sense. I also see the Sens not being in the lottery at least one year after that deal with the further development of some of the young players they already have. They should be a playoff team in another year.

Even if the Islanders match that contract at worst you would severely hurt their ability to build a deep team for years and they are a team you have to compete against in the East. I see Barzal who is from Canada having no issues going for that money.

Reactions: Merrrlin and McJedi

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I doubt will see it, but it wouldn’t be the worst idea. I’m sure Ottawa will draft a C this year with one of those high picks, not that there’s a guarantee that player will be better then Barzal

Also, I think Ottawa can only offer 7 years

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Watching Lou screw the Islanders cap up beyond belief I see this as a possibility. Lou saved by Covid as his team would have missed the playoffs and his Pageau trade would have been a total failure. Islanders have to sign Barzal, Pullock and Toews without much cap room to do so. They will surely lose Martin and Clutterbuck even if those first 3 RFA's sign for cheaper which they won't. Ottawa is drafting 3rd and 5th overall, have another first rounder and have 4 second round picks. They have 3, 2nd round picks next year. They badly need a number 1 center to go with Tkachuk who is ready to break out to be a star.

I would not be surprised to see the Sens overpay and offer Barzal a 8 year, 88 million dollar contract and give up the 4 first rounders. You make two up this year because you have 3 first rounders. You get another first rounder back if you add Barzal. Maybe with all those second rounders you hit on one being a first round talent. I believe this would be one of the rare cases where giving up those picks makes sense. I also see the Sens not being in the lottery at least one year after that deal with the further development of some of the young players they already have. They should be a playoff team in another year.

Even if the Islanders match that contract at worst you would severely hurt their ability to build a deep team for years and they are a team you have to compete against in the East. I see Barzal who is from Canada having no issues going for that money.

Overpaying Barzal at 11 million? That's barely an over pay. Barzal is close to a 10 million dollar player nowadays, I wouldn't be shocked at all to see him get 8 years, 10 million. Isles aren't going to let him go over 1 million.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Doesn’t seem like a very Ottawa thing to do but it probably is something they should consider. Their prospect pool and collection of picks is pretty crazy. They can afford to lose a few picks. However I have a feeling losing a 4th overall puck already when they were the worst team in the league will make Dorion second guess giving up any future 1sts.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
I always say second rounders are overvalued unless you have them in numbers. There is a much higher bust rate for second rounders not becoming good NHL players than people realize which is why I like them if you have them in numbers. So if you have 7, 2nd rounders in two years, you should absolutely find one really good nhl player. You probably stand a good chance of finding two. One of those picks you probably stand a good chance of saying 3-4 years down the line should have been taken in the first round. So when you factor that in with getting a first round talent in Barzal, plus having 2 extra first rounders this year, you really aren't giving up 4 first rounders to get a proven guy that can center Tkachuk. It's a rare situation where I think a team should do this kind of offer sheet.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015

Lou just won the GM of the year award. He is playing chess while all the rest of GMs are playing checkers. He won’t have any cap issues. And players will sign for whatever he tells them to.;)

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Umm Barzal has to sign any offer sheet as well .....
Why would he ? Honest question . Maybe if he wins a cup in LI this year but he seems to like it there and the new arena opens soon . I am not trashing the Sens but why would he sign an offer sheet to go from a contender to a team in a rebuild

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
No disrespect to Ottawa but two parties have to be agreeable to this idea and I don't think Barzal, who is having a fairly good time still playing hockey, nor Ottawa want to do it.

BTW Martin is a UFA and Clutterbuck has two more years on his deal. Isles have a few options if they need to shed salary, we'll see how they handle it but I don't know why a Rangers fan would be so concerned about it.

Reactions: CREW99AW

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Lou Lam just won GM of the year, has multiple Cups, and builds winning teams because he knows what he’s doing. He will sign Barzel to a contract that’s fair fir both the player and the team. Guy is a genius GM.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
I can see LL getting Barzal to sign a two year deal at 7.5 or 8 with a handshake deal that he'll get paid a gazillion a season when fans are totally back, regular season is 82 games and Belmont is open and thriving.

Guy can dream.

Any offer sheet is going to be matched and if the team has to offload good players to accomodate it I'd expect LL to revenge offer sheet in the future. Who knows?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00