OT: Ottawa Fury Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Nope you got it right, from the Fury website

Ottawa Fury FC have the following 12 players under contract for the 2017 season:

GK – Andrew MacRae
D – Eddie Edward
D – Kyle Venter
D – Onua Obasi
D – Andrae Campbell
M – Jamar Dixon
M – Lance Rozeboom
M – Gerardo Bruna
M – Ryan Williams
F – Carl Haworth
F – Sito Seoane
F – Steevan Dos Santos

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
Nope you got it right, from the Fury website

Ottawa Fury FC have the following 12 players under contract for the 2017 season:

GK – Andrew MacRae
D – Eddie Edward
D – Kyle Venter
D – Onua Obasi
D – Andrae Campbell
M – Jamar Dixon
M – Lance Rozeboom
M – Gerardo Bruna
M – Ryan Williams
F – Carl Haworth
F – Sito Seoane
F – Steevan Dos Santos

So glad I buy my jerseys blank... Turnover is crazy. ah well... life in the lower leagues.

Anyway, can't wait to see how we shape up for the new league.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Carolina/Jacksonville/PR/Fort Lauderdale/San Fran are all looking at joining the Usl right now they only set in stone teams in the Nasl Indy/Miami/Edmonton.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Carolina/Jacksonville/PR/Fort Lauderdale/San Fran are all looking at joining the Usl right now they only set in stone teams in the Nasl Indy/Miami/Edmonton.

Woof.

I think at this point Fath sells and FC Edmonton ends up in the CPL for 2018 along with Ottawa.

Indy should really go to USL - so many great, close potential rivalries with the better USL independents.

One scenario I would support is all lower level Canadian sides going to CPL, and then the USL broken into divisions with the stronger independent clubs lumped into a D2, and the reserve/affiliates (identified as those who aren't eligible for the Lamar U.S. Open Cup) in a separate D3.

I should also say I'm sad to see the NASL fold in - it was a unique experiment in N. American pro soccer which tried to go the European route of truly independent clubs loosely confederated, as opposed to the NFL-style MLS model. There wasn't really any comparable on this continent. Personally I'm more of a fan of the world's system and not MLS' closed structure.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Woof.

I think at this point Fath sells and FC Edmonton ends up in the CPL for 2018 along with Ottawa.

Indy should really go to USL - so many great, close potential rivalries with the better USL independents.

One scenario I would support is all lower level Canadian sides going to CPL, and then the USL broken into divisions with the stronger independent clubs lumped into a D2, and the reserve/affiliates (identified as those who aren't eligible for the Lamar U.S. Open Cup) in a separate D3.

I should also say I'm sad to see the NASL fold in - it was a unique experiment in N. American pro soccer which tried to go the European route of truly independent clubs loosely confederated, as opposed to the NFL-style MLS model. There wasn't really any comparable on this continent. Personally I'm more of a fan of the world's system and not MLS' closed structure.

With the deal the Csa made with Mls some really question if the CPL is just going to be a Canadian Usl division.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Carolina/Jacksonville/PR/Fort Lauderdale/San Fran are all looking at joining the Usl right now

Can you point to us where you are hearing /seeing this, i did know there were a few teams thinking of switching but i thought PR and San Fran had confirmed their NASL intentions. Carolina is having a rebrand announcement this week and expected to stay in NASL, Fort Lauderdale and Jacksonville could be a possible.
I just dont get this CPL idea, believe me i would really like it to happen, but as long as the 3 MLS and 2 NASL/USL teams are around i just cant see it happen, there are some very wild suggestions on the Voyageurs Forum, players being paid ridiculous salaries, TV contracts, crowds of 10,000 + etc.
My suggestion would be to start with 8 teams from Ontario and Quebec and as the league gets established then start adding teams from across the country, but i think there is too much politics going on with the CSA and provincial soccer organisations for it to ever happen.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Can you point to us where you are hearing /seeing this, i did know there were a few teams thinking of switching but i thought PR and San Fran had confirmed their NASL intentions. Carolina is having a rebrand announcement this week and expected to stay in NASL, Fort Lauderdale and Jacksonville could be a possible.
I just dont get this CPL idea, believe me i would really like it to happen, but as long as the 3 MLS and 2 NASL/USL teams are around i just cant see it happen, there are some very wild suggestions on the Voyageurs Forum, players being paid ridiculous salaries, TV contracts, crowds of 10,000 + etc.
My suggestion would be to start with 8 teams from Ontario and Quebec and as the league gets established then start adding teams from across the country, but i think there is too much politics going on with the CSA and provincial soccer organisations for it to ever happen.

The rumors are coming from soccer bloggers and reporters as many teams are in panic mode about the Nasl if it does lose d2 status or folds.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa

I would also love to see it happen but am sceptical when the three major markets in the country will still be MLS. I don't know what would be worse, a CPL with no teams in the three biggest cities in the country, or a CPL with three teams in those same cities that are ignored and play in front of crowds in the hundreds.

I assume the USL/NASL teams will move over to CPL either by force (if NASL folds) or by plan.

That sounds like the old CPSL. Eight teams in Ont. and Que. means some very small cities and I'm not sure people will take it seriously. That would be a good second or third division. Brings back memories of watching the Ottawa Wizards at OZ Optics stadium on that pristine pitch.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
I would also love to see it happen but am sceptical when the three major markets in the country will still be MLS. I don't know what would be worse, a CPL with no teams in the three biggest cities in the country, or a CPL with three teams in those same cities that are ignored and play in front of crowds in the hundreds.

I assume the USL/NASL teams will move over to CPL either by force (if NASL folds) or by plan.

That sounds like the old CPSL. Eight teams in Ont. and Que. means some very small cities and I'm not sure people will take it seriously. That would be a good second or third division. Brings back memories of watching the Ottawa Wizards at OZ Optics stadium on that pristine pitch.

The Cpl would be ok with out the 3 major cities the fear is if Ottawa and Edmonton don't go that would be a massive blow.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Neil Morris ‏@ByNeilMorris 1h1 hour ago

Hearing from sources that @OttawaFuryFC poised to become USL affiliate for @impactmontreal, which will shutter @fcmontrealusl.

Interesting

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Non Fury news

1)Gatineau FC has been sold and will now be known as Hull FC.

2)Ottawa South United has applied for a League 1 team.

3)West Ottawa has applied for a League 1 womens team.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Is there any policy regarding affiliated 'B' squads in the proposed Canadian PL? Can Ottawa do this and still plan to join the CPL if and when it happens?

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
Is there any policy regarding affiliated 'B' squads in the proposed Canadian PL? Can Ottawa do this and still plan to join the CPL if and when it happens?

If us being affiliated with Montreal is true, who cares about the CPL at this point? Ottawa being affiliated with the Impact is the worst news for this team since Dos Santos left. It's disgusting. Who the hell wants to be the Impacts' little brother?

This does mean no Amway cup on top of it. Brutal!:rant:

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
If us being affiliated with Montreal is true, who cares about the CPL at this point? Ottawa being affiliated with the Impact is the worst news for this team since Dos Santos left. It's disgusting. Who the hell wants to be the Impacts' little brother?

There rumors making the rounds claims Ottawa won't be truly affiliated but it will be more of a loan agreement where Ottawa gets 3 or 4 Impact players.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster

Ya, this would be awful news. Full little league status.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Fury have already signed 13 of their own players, they probably need approx 9 more players. The rumour going around is that the Impact are closing their Montreal FC team that play in the USL, they will probably come to some agreement like New England has with the Rochester Rhinos, where 1-4 players are loaned to Ottawa

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Fury have not been a farm team of Toronto or Montreal, I believe they have had one player from Toronto, Richter from Toronto and 2 from Montreal Gagnon-Laparé and Zakaria Messoudi. so 3 players in 3 years does not make the Fury a farm team.
It is very common for soccer teams to take players on loan from other teams and usually they are for set periods and cannot be recalled.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Fury have not been a farm team of Toronto or Montreal, I believe they have had one player from Toronto, Richter from Toronto and 2 from Montreal Gagnon-Laparé and Zakaria Messoudi. so 3 players in 3 years does not make the Fury a farm team.
It is very common for soccer teams to take players on loan from other teams and usually they are for set periods and cannot be recalled.

You can't say they were not a farm team taking 3 or 4 players from Montreal/Toronto but they will be a farm team taking 2 or 3 players from Montreal in a loan agreement.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
I can say they are not a farm team of Montreal because they are not, it has been rumoured that they have come to an agreement with Montreal, in that the 2 teams will be affiliated.
It is rumoured that Montreal FC are shutting down their USL farm team, ie their reserve team, this means they have to put some of their excess players somewhere, Ottawa is the closest USL team to them so logically it makes sense that they come to an agreement that 1-4 players go on loan to Ottawa.
Just like Ottawa Sens have an agreement with Binghamton
Loaning of soccer players too other clubs goes on all around the world.

Last edited:

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
An affiliation should be fine. The Fury are not becoming their reserve side (which is the first thing I thought of when the rumours surfaced), which is the point at which most fans would say bye-bye-Fury. As long as the agreement doesn't hand over final say on who is playing and who gets the minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad